Iva de Freese Savage, 96, former director of quality control for the Marriott Corporation and a veteran of 30 years with the company, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 4 at Montgomery General Hospital.

Mrs. Savage moved to Washington and joined Marriott in the early 1940s at a time when the Hot Shoppes stores were the basis of the company's operation and the chain was beginning to embark on an ambitious program of expansion.

During her career with the company she was manager of the bakery, director of food supervisors and director of the test kitchen and finally director of quality control. She retired in 1971 after suffering serious injuries in an automobile accident.

As director of quality control, it was Mrs. Savage's job to establish and maintain food standards. It was at her insistence, according to a company newsletter, that Hormel first produced the Cure 81 hams, which Mrs. Savage wanted for the Hot Shoppes restaurants.

Her recipe for strawberry pie was the one used in Hot Shoppes cafeterias. It was partially in response to her demands that fish companies developed methods of flash-freezing freshly caught fish.

A resident of Silver Spring, Mrs. Savage was born in Piedmont, Ala. She graduated from Alabama College for Women in 1913. After college she got a job with Schrafft's in New York City on the strength of a recipe for coconut layer cake, and for several years she managed the main Schrafft's bakery and supervised the opening of several Schrafft's restaurants in New York City.

She moved to Washington from Schrafft's at the urging of the late J. Willard Marriott Sr.

Her husband, Wallace Savage, died in 1969.

There are no immediate survivors.


53, who worked for the Central Intelligence Agency for 26 years before retiring in 1984 as a senior intelligence officer, died of cancer Feb. 1 at his home in Springfield.

Mr. Carroll was a native of Washington and a graduate of DeMatha High School. He was a 1960 graduate of the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service.

Survivors include his wife, the former Elisabeth Monaldo, of Springfield; his mother, Mary G. Carroll of Mayo, Md.; two brothers, Robert F. Carroll of Columbia, S.C., and Michael D. Carroll of Mayo, and one sister, Joyce Minear of California, Mo.


87, a retired management consultant who had been a member of the St. Andrews Society and the Clan Gregor, died Jan. 30 at the Goodwin House West nursing home in Falls Church after a stroke. She lived in Falls Church.

From 1965 to 1975, Mrs. McGregor worked in her husband's Washington consulting firm, Frank R. McGregor Associates.

Mrs. McGregor was a graduate of Kutztown State College in her native Pennsylvania. She was an advertising executive in New York before moving here in 1942.

Her husband, Frank R. McGregor, died in 1978. Survivors include one sister, Myrle Stein of New Jersey.


75, a retired physical education teacher in the D.C. public school system, died of cancer Jan. 30 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Miss Cooper, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Berkeley, Calif. She moved to Washington in 1929 when her father, John Cooper, was named U.S. commissioner of education.

She graduated from Central High School and the University of Michigan and received a master's degree in physical education at the University of California at Berkeley.

From 1935 until World War II Miss Cooper taught physical education at Alice Deal Junior High School. During the war, she worked in Maine in a project to grow vegetables for the war effort. She taught physical education at Coolidge High School from 1946 until she retired in 1955.

She was a member of field hockey organizations and for many years was a playing member and chairman of the Southeast section of the U.S. Field Hockey Association. She also had helped organize and direct the Washington Field Hockey Day Camp.

Survivors include one brother, John Cooper of Berkeley.