Max Halperin, 70, the director of the Biostatistics Center at George Washington University and a former chief of the Biometrics Research Branch at the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health, died of cancer Feb. 1 at Fairfax Hospital.

Dr. Halperin was an internationally recognized authority in his field, which uses statistics to conduct medical research. He helped design the statistical aspect of numerous clinical studies, particularly in the field of heart disease, and he published more than 60 papers in professional journals.

Among the studies on which he worked was the Coronary Drug Project at NIH, which evaluated the usefulness of some drugs in prolonging life after a heart attack. He also worked on the Hypertension Detection and Followup Program at NIH. This showed that hypertension should be treated aggressively, and it led to the adoption of the guideline that blood pressure of more than 140/90 warrants treatment.

Dr. Halperin, who lived in Reston, had been a professor of statistics and head of the Biostatistics Center at George Washington University since 1978. The center is largely funded by NIH. It helps coordinate nationwide studies in such areas as diabetes, digestive and kidney diseases, and child health and human development.

From 1966 to 1977, Dr. Halperin was assistant chief and later chief of the biometrics branch at the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.

A native of Omaha, he graduated from the University of Omaha in 1940 and received a master's degree in mathematics at the University of Iowa. During World War II he served in the old Army Air Forces in the China-Burma-India theater. He received a doctorate in mathematical statistics at the University of North Carolina.

Before moving to the Washington area in 1966 to begin his career at NIH, Dr. Halperin worked at the Air Force School of Medicine, the Rand Corp., the Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory of General Electric and the Sperry Rand Corp.

He was a fellow of the American Statistical Association and chairman of its biometrics section. He also was a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics and a member of several other learned societies. He was a member of the advisory committees of NIH, the Food and Drug Administration and the National Research Council.

Dr. Halperin received the Superior Service Award from the old Department of Health, Education and Welfare in 1973 and the Statistics Section Award of the American Public Health Association in 1985.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Ann Halperin of Reston; one daughter, Martha Halperin of Washington, and two sisters, Sophie Katz and Ethel Cohen, and one brother, Yale Halperin, all of Omaha.


73, a kitchen designer who also had been a labor union organizer and a civil rights activist, died Jan. 28 at the Washington Hospital Center of complications following an operation for removal of a cancer of the esophagus.

For about the last 15 years Mr. Gurewitz had been a kitchen designer with Tunis Kitchens in Chevy Chase. Before that he had worked for other kitchen design firms and had been in business for himself.

During the 1930s and 1940s he was a labor union organizer, and was one of the leaders of a well-publicized 1948 strike by the Building Service Employes union against the Fairlington apartment complex in Arlington. In 1950 he was one of several witnesses who refused to answer questions before the House Un-American Activities Committee about Communist Party affiliations.

Mr. Gurewitz, a resident of Silver Spring, was born in Newark. He moved to Washington when he was a child.

He graduated from Western High School and George Washington University.

During the 1950s, 1960s and early 1970s, Mr. Gurewitz was a member and organizer of several civil rights and antiwar organizations.

Mr. Gurewitz, who was a member of the musicians union, played the piano at restaurants, weddings and other functions in this area. He was a stamp collector and a member of the Silver Spring Philatelic Club.

His marriage to Helen Gurewitz ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Helen Gurewitz of Silver Spring; one daughter by his first marriage, Sydney Clemens of San Francisco; two sons by his second marriage, Don Gurewitz of Cambridge, Mass., and Paul Gurewitz of Asheville, N.C., and six grandchildren.


74, the founder of an engineering consulting firm, an elder of the Lewinsville Presbyterian Church in McLean and a member of the Fairfax Hunt, died of cardiac arrest Feb. 1 at his home in Great Falls.

Since 1971, he had been president of Thomas H. Garber & Associates of McLean, a consulting, marketing and service engineering concern that specialized in environmental science and waste water projects. He had worked with state water control and health boards in Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia and North Carolina.

He was the 1986 recipient of the state of Virginia's A. Clarke Slaymaker Award for his work in state environmental health programs. He belonged to several professional and honor organizations.

Mr. Garber, who had lived in this area since about 1950, was a native of Richmond and a 1934 graduate of Hampden-Sydney College. He earned a master's degree in chemical engineering at Duke University. He served in the Navy during World War II.

After the war, he worked for several engineering research and development businesses, including the Gentex Corp., and, from 1961 to 1971, the Welex electronics division of the Haliburton Co. in Washington. From 1971 to 1973, he had been a consultant and member of the board of the Woodard Research Corp.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, the former Lessie Reed Deel, of Great Falls; one son, Thomas Jr., of Kensington; three daughters, Cynthia G. Plante of Great Falls, Lessandra G. MacHamer of Falls Church, and Laura H. Garber of Swaziland; one sister, Hollie G. Kenyon of Cobbs Creek, Va.; 10 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.


69, a resident of the Washington area for more than 30 years who had been president of the Parent-Teacher Association at Alta Vista Elementary School and a trustee of the Grosvenor Elementary School, both in Bethesda, died Feb. 1 at the Boca Raton Community Hospital in Boca Raton, Fla. She had lupus vasculitis.

Mrs. Abramson was born in Providence, R.I. She moved here in 1949 and lived in Chevy Chase until going to Boca Raton in 1980.

Survivors include her husband, Dr. Daniel Abramson of Boca Raton; two children, Bonnie Pash of Boca Raton and Daniel Abramson of Coconut Grove, Fla.; one sister, Dorothy Shutt of Boca Raton; one brother, Norden Schloss of Roxboro, N.C., and three grandchildren.


67, a retired Prince George's County school bus driver, died of emphysema Feb. 3 at his home in Capitol Heights, where he had lived all his life.

Mr. Roussillon retired about 10 years ago after 25 years' service as a Prince George's County school bus driver. Before 1968 he also had operated a farm and sold produce at the O Street Market in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Leona M. Roussillon of Capitol Heights; one daughter, Elizabeth Bednarik of District Heights; two sons, Gilbert A. Roussillon Jr. and Jerome Roussillon, both of Clinton; one sister, Shirley Driver of Venice, Fla.; six grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.


82, a member of several genealogical and patriotic organizations in the Washington area, died Feb. 2 at the Shady Grove Adventist Nursing Center of heart ailments and complications after a stroke.

Mrs. Bagley, who lived in Rockville, was born in Rifle, Colo. Before moving to this area in 1979 she was a secretary and office manager for the Agricultural Extension Service in Oroville, Calif.

She was a member of the Hungerford chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in Rockville, the Daughters of 1812, the Colonial Dames, New England Women and the Gaithersburg chapter of the American Association of Retired Persons.

Her first husband, Leo Persico, died in 1929, and her second husband, Dr. Thomas Bagley, died in 1975.

Survivors include one daughter by her first marriage, Theresa Olson of Rockville, three granddaughters, and two great-grandchildren.


62, a former mathematics teacher with St. John's and St. Luke's Catholic elementary schools in McLean, died of cancer Feb. 3 at Fairfax Hospital. She moved from the Washington area to West Haven, Vt., nine years ago and had returned to this area for medical treatment.

Mrs. Cox was born in Washington. She graduated from McKinley Technical High School and Trinity College. She taught mathematics at the University of Maryland in the late 1940s and worked for the old Army Map Service in the 1950s.

She taught at St. John's and St. Luke's elementary schools in McLean in the 1960s and later tutored students in mathematics at her home.

During the 1950s and 1960s, Mrs. Cox also had traveled with her husband, Thomas A. Cox, to his assignments with the Central Intelligence Agency in Australia, Japan and Boston.

She was a member of St. Luke's Catholic Church in McLean.

In addition to her husband, of West Haven, survivors include one sister, Ann Burnett of McLean.


57, a retired teacher with the D.C. public schools, where she worked for more than 36 years, died of cancer Feb. 1 at Providence Hospital. She lived in Washington.

A native of Washington, Mrs. Prince graduated from Dunbar High School. She also graduated from the old Miner Teachers College and she received a master's degree in urban studies from George Washington University.

She joined the D.C. public school system in 1951 and was assigned to the Charles Young Elementary School, where she worked until her death.

She was a member of Club Turquesa, a social organization, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, a national sorority.

Her marriage to Charles B. Prince ended in divorce.

Survivors include one daughter, Lee Folia Prince Fletcher; her mother, Lessie B. Spearmon; three sisters, Anita S. Green, Etta M. Roberts and Jean F. Jackson, and one brother, John W. Spearmon Jr., all of Washington.


60, a retired Central Intelligence Agency finance officer who also was a member of the D.C. and Maryland softball halls of fame, died of cancer Feb. 2 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital.

Mr. Bertolini retired from the CIA in 1979 after 26 years of service that included assignments in Japan, Italy, Germany and South Vietnam.

A Silver Spring resident, he was born in Washington and graduated from McKinley Tech High School. He served in the Marine Corps at the end of World War II.

He was a catcher on three D.C. championship softball teams. Between 1946 and 1955, he also played on the Car Credit amateur football team. In 1951, he received the Touchdown Club's Outstanding Amateur Athlete award.

Survivors include his wife, Glenda Bertolini of Silver Spring; three daughters, Enid Bertolini Wills of Germantown, Lisa Williams of Gaithersburg, and Tara Bertolini of Silver Spring, and two sisters, Olga Dixon of Silver Spring and Elizabeth Ambrose of Brentwood.


73, a retired arms control and disarmament specialist who had held several academic and government positions, died of cancer Feb. 1 at his home in Garrett Park.

Mr. King retired in 1981 after having worked four years as coordinator for academic relations and external analytical support for the Central Intelligence Agency. During the four years before that, he had been director of advanced research and of strategic studies at the Naval War College in Newport, R.I.

A native of Sumter, S.C., he graduated from Harvard University and was later a Rhodes scholar at Oxford University.

He served in the Army in North Africa and Europe during World War II, and was wounded in action during the Normandy invasion in June 1944. He was awarded a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star.

After the war, Mr. King was the civilian deputy chief of staff to the Military Governor of Germany, and from 1949 to 1952 was executive secretary in the office of the U.S. High Commissioner of Germany.

He moved to this area in 1952 as a research analyst for the Johns Hopkins University Operations Research Office. From 1957 to 1960, he was research associate at the Johns Hopkins University Center for Foreign Policy Research.

From 1960 to 1972, he was senior research associate at the Institute for Defense Analysis.

His wife, Barbara Crosland King, died in 1983.

Survivors include two children, Judy Pope of Oakland and David King of Port Townsend, Wash., and three grandchildren.


31, a former Annandale resident who had been a computer data entry specialist, was found dead Feb. 2 in his apartment in Minneapolis. A spokesman for the Hennipen County medical examiner's office said determination of the cause of death was pending completion of toxicological tests.

Mr. Bachman was born in Washington and grew up in Northern Virginia. He attended Jefferson High School and Northern Virginia Community College. He had been a data entry specialist in Northern Virginia and in Minneapolis, where he moved about a year ago.

He was a member of the Queen of Apostles Catholic Church in Alexandria and had been active in Boy Scouts.

Survivors include his parents, Mary Dougherty and John Andrew Bachman, one sister, Lisa Marie Bachman, and two brothers, Robert Joseph and Thomas Andrew Bachman, all of Alexandria.