Graciela Paterno, 45, artist-in-residence with the D.C. Office of Latino Affairs since 1985, died Jan. 29 at a hospital in Montevideo, Uruguay, where she had undergone heart bypass surgery. A resident of Washington, she was on vacation when she was stricken.

Mrs. Paterno was born in Montevideo. She was a singer who recorded three albums of Uruguayan folk songs before moving to the United States in 1984.

During 1984, she was at Baylor University in Waco, Tex., where she developed an instructional music program for elementary schoolchildren.

She conducted a series of concerts in New York City before moving to the Washington area in 1985 and joining the Office of Latino Affairs.

In Washington, Mrs. Paterno used her program, "Playing With Songs," to teach subjects ranging from art to history to science.

The program was used at five D.C. elementary shools that have high enrollments of Hispanic students.

Mrs. Paterno, who used her maiden name professionally, is survived by her husband, Jose H. Iberra of Rio de Janeiro; two daughters, Noel Iberra of Montevideo and Virginia Iberra of Washington; one son, Jose Iberra of West Point, N.Y.; her mother, Celia Paterno, and one brother, Francisco Paterno, both of Montevideo.


D.C. Police Officer

Raymond J. Clarke Sr., 73, a retired patrolman with the D.C. police and a lifelong resident of the Washington area, died Feb. 8 at Fairfax Hospital, where he had undergone heart surgery.

Mr. Clarke, a resident of Vienna, was born in Washington. He joined the D.C. police in 1941 and he was a patrolman in the traffic division when he retired in 1965. For the next 13 years he was a driver for the Franklin Charter Bus Co. in Fairfax.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Clara Clarke of Vienna; four children, Ann M. Kawamoto of Savannah, Ga., Raymond J. Clarke Jr. of Margate, Fla., James P. Clarke Sr. of Falls Church, and Patricia L. Fugate of Jeffersonton, Va.; eight grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; two stepgrandchildren, and two great-stepgrandchildren.


Beauty Shop Owner

Rachel Cadeaux, 79, an owner and operator of the Maison Marcel Beauty Shop in Washington, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 9 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Cadeaux was born in Paris. She grew up in Egypt and moved to the United States in 1922. She settled in New York City and moved to the Washington area about 1939.

She and her husband, Adolph (Marcel) Cadeaux, opened their beauty shop in the late 1930s. Her husband died in 1987. She continued to operate the business with her son, Jack Cadeaux, until her death.

Mrs. Cadeaux and her husband also had operated Le Petit Paris, a French restaurant in Washington, which opened in the late 1930s and closed in 1968.

She was a member of the Magen David Bet Eliahu Sebhardic Congregation in Rockville.

In addition to her son, Jack Cadeaux of Washington, survivors include three sons, Ralph H. Cadeaux of Maidenhead, England, Albert Cadeaux of Miami and Robert Cadeaux of McLean; one daughter, Tina Jasen of Silver Spring; one brother, Alphonse Naim of Zimbabwe; one sister, Fortuna De Napoli of Florence; nine grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.


AID Inspector

Thomas Edwin Bracken, 80, who retired in 1973 as an inspector with the Agency for International Development, died of a heart ailment Feb. 6 at a hospital in Dunedin, Fla. He lived in Dunedin.

Mr. Bracken, who lived here from 1934 to 1952 and again from 1962 to 1978, was a native of New York City. He was a graduate of Yale University and what is now the George Washington University law school.

In 1934 and 1944, he held a variety of government posts, including those of analyst with the National Recovery Administration, a staff member of the Senate Commerce Committee, and general counsel of the Office of War Information.

He then joined the State Department as a legal adviser. He spent a year practicing law in California before returning here in 1962 and rejoining State. He retired in 1973.

His marriage to the former Leath Parker ended in divorce. His second wife, the former Louise Prentiss Tubby, died in 1985.

Survivors include three children by his first marriage, Lea Brook of Byron, Calif., Parker Bracken of Falls Church and Martha Cooper of Lovettsville, Va.; seven grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.


Hardware Store Owner

Stuart W. Jenks, 87, who owned and operated the W.S. Jenks & Son hardware store in Washington from 1940 to 1955, died Jan. 28 at his home in Auburndale, Fla., after a heart attack.

Mr. Jenks was a third-generation Washingtonian and graduated from Bliss Electrical College here.

During the 1920s and early 1930s he was an electrical engineer and researcher with C. Francis Jenkins laboratories in Washington, where he worked on the development of television.

In the early 1930s Mr. Jenks joined his father, Holland Jenks, in the hardware store, and he took over the business after his father died in 1940.

He sold the business in 1955 and moved to Florida, where he later managed an orange grove.

Mr. Jenks was an amateur pilot during the 1930s, a boating enthusiast and a cave explorer.

Since the early 1920s he had been interested in Eastern philosophy and spirituality and for the last 18 years had been a follower of Meher Baba.

His marriage to Helen S. Jenks ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Connie Maria Jenks of Auburndale; three children from his first marriage, Robert H. Jenks and Norman E. Jenks, both of Washington, and Barbara A. Feild of Bethesda, and two stepsons and seven grandchildren.


Congressional Staff Clerk

Emery Homer McMurray, 77, a retired clerk of committee reporters with the House of Representatives, died of kidney failure Feb. 6 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Potomac.

Mr. McMurray was born in Merkel, Tex. He graduated from American University.

He moved to the Washington area in 1935 and worked for a pharmacy and the Department of Agriculture. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific.

After the war, he joined the House staff. He retired in 1980.

Mr. McMurray enjoyed playing chess and was a member of the Fourth Presbyterian Church in Bethesda and the International Christian Fellowship in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Hazel Albertine Thompson McMurray of Potomac; two daughters, Linda Sherburn of Tallahassee, Fla., and Kathryn McMillen of Vineland, N.J.; two sons, Bruce and Ronald McMurray, both of Potomac; two brothers, C.L. McMurray of Tucumcari, N.M., and Oscar McMurray of Abilene, Tex.; three sisters, Ona Mae McMurray and Ruth Allen, both of Canyon, Tex., and Florence Montgomery of Plainview, Tex., and seven grandchildren.


Teacher and Librarian

Isabel Ferguson Wiens, 73, a retired teacher and librarian who worked for the Montgomery and Prince George's county school systems, died of heart ailments Feb. 7 at her home in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Wiens was born in Riverside, Calif. She graduated from the University of California at Santa Barbara and became a teacher. In 1941, she married Henry W. Wiens.

In the late 1940s, her husband went to work in the foreign assistance programs of the United States.

Over the years, Mrs. Wiens accompanied him on assignments to Iran, Greece, Turkey, Iraq and what is now Zaire as well as to Washington. In 1965 and 1966 they were in Jamaica for the World Bank.

In the early 1960s, Mrs. Wiens taught in the Montgomery County schools, and she rejoined them after accompanying her husband to Jamaica.

Following his death in 1968 she received a master's degree in library science at the University of Maryland.

From about 1970 until she retired about 1978, she was a librarian in the Prince George's County schools.

Mrs. Wiens was a member or the National Association of Retired Teachers, the League of Women Voters and the American Genealogical Society.

Survivors include four children, Josephine MacMichael of Alexandria, Denise W. Balzano of McLean, Ruth Wiens of Albuquerque, and Deborah Kidwell of Silver Spring, and five grandsons.