Leonard W. Kephart, 96, a retired agronomist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture and later the World Bank, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 10 at Shady Grove Adventist Nursing Center in Rockville.

Mr. Kephart worked for the Department of Agriculture in Washington for 36 years before retiring in 1949 as senior agronomist for weed control. In 1927 and 1928 he was one of two leaders of a safari across the plains of East Africa in search of new forage grasses for introduction into the United States.

From 1950 until he retired a second time in 1957, Mr. Kephart worked for the World Bank as an adviser on agricultural projects in various countries around the world.

He was born in Ithaca, N.Y., and graduated from Cornell University. During World War I he served in the Army.

A resident of Takoma Park for 45 years, Mr. Kephart was a member of the Takoma Mandoliers, the Takoma Horticultural Club, the American Peony Society and the Takoma Park Presbyterian Church.

In recent years he had lived at his son's farm in Poolesville where he did gardening and collected stamps.

His wife, Frances Frazer Kephart, died in 1971.

Survivors include three children, Jane K. Keller of Stanford, Calif., George O. Kephart of Poolesville and Barbara K. Crane of Edgewater, Md.; eight grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren.


NASA Official

Louis Brockway Chen Fong, 73, a retired official of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration who later became a partner in a consulting firm here, died of cardiac arrest Feb. 11 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mr. Fong worked for NASA for 21 years before retiring in 1980 as an intergovernmental relations officer. Previously he had been NASA's director of technology utilization and also had been a fellow at Brookings Institution.

After retiring from NASA, Mr. Fong became a founder of LFW Management Associates, a consulting firm specializing in government contracts. He was president of the firm at the time of his death.

A resident of Arlington, Mr. Fong was born in Boston and graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He received a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University.

During World War II he served in the Army Air Forces in China and was awarded a Bronze Star. He was recalled to active duty during the Korean war, and later served as an Air Force officer at the Pentagon. He was discharged as a colonel.

He worked at the National Bureau of Standards until joining NASA in 1959.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Cornelia I. Fong of Arlington; one son, Glenn Chen Fong of Arlington; two sisters, Doris C. Wong of Alexandria and Helen Ede of Honolulu; one brother, Dr. Theodore C.C. Fong of Indiana; and one grandson.


AMA Official

Patricia A. McGuire, 51, the assistant director of federal affairs with the American Medical Association, died Feb. 10 of a heart ailment at her home in Washington.

Mrs. McGuire was born in Spokane, Wash. She graduated from the Sacred Heart School of Nursing in Spokane. She moved to the Washington area in 1962 and served for the next two years in the Air Force Nurse Corps at Andrews Air Force Base.

From 1964 to 1972, she was a professional relations representative and the supervisor of claims processing with the Washington, D.C. Area Blue Shield Plan. For the next five years, she was director of federal government relations with the National Blue Shield Association.

Mrs. McGuire had worked for the AMA since 1977.

She had been a member of the D.C. Statewide Health Coordinating Council. In 1986 she received a special citation from the Department of Health and Human Services for her work.

Mrs. McGuire was a founding member of Health on Wednesday, a women's health advocacy group, and was a member of Women in Government Relations.

She also had been a program adviser and an instructor with the Presidential Classroom, a special federal program for gifted high school students.

Her marriage to W.J. McGuire Jr. ended in divorce.

Survivors include her parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Bautch of Circle City, Ariz.; and one sister, Margaret Bouland of Spokane.


Mechanical Contractor

James D. Borror, 47, a heating and air-conditioning mechanic with Eastern Air Control in Berlin, Md., died Feb. 9 at the Snow Hill Hospital in Berlin after a heart attack. He lived in Berlin.

Mr. Borror was born in Washington. He began working in the heating and air conditioning field as a teen-ager and established his own contracting firm. He moved from Silver Spring to Inwood, W.Va., in 1978. Two years ago, he moved to Berlin and joined Eastern Air Control.

Survivors include his wife, Doris Borror of Berlin; two sons, James D. Borror Jr. of Jefferson, Md., and Robert Borror of Inwood; two daughters, Judy Wood of Inwood and Cindy Borror of Albuquerque; his mother, Andra Borror of Gaithersburg; one sister, Christy Jones of Knoxville, Md.; one brother, Walter Borror of Pollock Pines, Calif.; and one grandchild.


Teacher and Centenarian

Florence Parker McConnell, 100, a former New Jersey school teacher, died Feb. 10 at the Woodbine Nursing Home in Alexandria of complications following a stroke.

Mrs. McConnell was born in Mayville, N.Y. She graduated from Fredonia Normal School. She taught school in New Jersey as a young woman, and she returned to the classroom as a substitute teacher after her children had grown.

She moved to Arlington in 1975 when her husband, Austin McConnell, died.

Survivors include one son, Marion McConnell of Dover, N.J.; one daughter, Marjean Willett of Arlington; two granddaughters, and one great-grandson.


Retired Businessman

Rabbi Dove Sobel, 87, a retired Chicago businessman and a Talmudic scholar who had lived in Rockville since 1977, died Feb. 6 at the St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, Ill., where he had undergone heart surgery. He was visiting family when he was stricken.

Rabbi Sobel was born in Russia. In 1920, he emigrated to Palestine, where he received his rabbinical training and was ordained a rabbi. He came to this country in 1930 and settled in Chicago in 1937. There he established real estate and clothing businesses.

In the Washington area he was active in the American Technion Society, Histadruth Ivrit, which is a Hebrew language association, the Jewish Community Center and the Beth Shalom Congregation in Potomac.

His wife, Anna Sobel, died in 1971.

Survivors include three children, Dr. Solomon Sobel of Potomac, Deborah Gamson of Potomac, and Dr. Naomi Eisenstein of Milwaukee; one brother, Max Sobel of Delray, Fla.; one sister, Bella Oselka of Tel Aviv; 13 grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.


IBM Analyst

Louis R. Thomas, 63, a retired IBM analyst, died of respiratory failure Feb. 10 at Suburban Hospital.

Mr. Thomas, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in New Bedford, Mass. During World War II he served in the Army Air Forces, and he remained in the Air Force Reserve until the late 1960s, retiring as a major.

After the war he moved to Washington and graduated from Georgetown University. He then joined IBM. He retired in 1987 as a senior administrative analyst after 34 years with the company, all of it in the Washington area.

Mr. Thomas was an enthusiastic traveler and had made several trips to Europe and throughout this country.

Survivors include his wife, Blanche G. Thomas of Silver Spring; two daughters, Sharon Perrell and Linda Brown, both of Silver Spring; one son, Louis R. Thomas of Dalton, Pa.; one brother, Serafim Thomas of Broadview, Ill.; and two grandchildren.


Chief Clerk

Lillian Reilly Kessel, 95, the retired chief clerk in the office of the Architect of the Capitol, died of pneumonia Feb. 10 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Kessel, who lived in Chevy Chase, was born in Hanover, Md. She had lived in the Washington area since she was a child.

She worked 55 years in the office of the Architect of the Capitol before she retired in the early 1960s. Her assignments included conducting research and budget work, compiling information on the Capitol and helping to write books and articles about the Capitol.

For many years Mrs. Kessel was recording secretary of the U.S. Capitol Historical Society.

Her husband, Louis James Kessel, died in the late 1960s.

There are no immediate survivors.


Lifelong area resident

May D. Baltz, 94, a lifelong resident of the Washington area, died Feb. 10 at Suburban Hospital after suffering a stroke.

Mrs. Baltz, who lived in Chevy Chase, was born in Alexandria. She was an avid gardener.

She was the widow of Edward C. Baltz, former president of Perpetual Building Association, who died in 1974.

Survivors include one sister, Ethel Dwyer of Washington; and one brother, Maurice Smith of College Park.



Mary Sutfin Austin, 90, a retired statistician with the Bureau of Public Roads, died of cancer and heart ailments Feb. 7 in her home at Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg.

Mrs. Austin was born in Grand Rapids, Mich., and came to Washington in 1918 to work in the office of the Adjutant General of the Army. She joined the Bureau of Public Roads during the 1920s, then during the 1930s left to work as a secretary for the Red Cross.

Later she returned to the Bureau of Public Roads, where she remained until retiring in the early 1960s. In retirement Mrs. Austin and her husband, Henry Warner Austin, took a 1 1/2-year trip around the world, then lived in Berkeley, Calif., and Mexico.

She returned to this area when he died around 1970.

Mrs. Austin had been a member of the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church in Washington and was active in the Twentieth Century Club and Common Cause.

Survivors include one son, Dr. John Austin of Arlington; two daughters, Nan Austin Doggett of Frederick and Mary Ann Harlan of Santa Fe, N.M.; 11 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.


Former Music Teacher

Edith Blau, 84, a former music teacher in Washington and New York and a founding member of the D.C. Citizens Committee for Music in Public Schools, died Feb. 11 at her home in Washington. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Blau was born in the Soviet Union near Kiev. She moved to the United States about 1906 and grew up in Hartford, Conn. She graduated from Radcliffe College and earned a master's degree in education from George Washington University.

In 1924 she began her teaching career as a substitute music teahcer in New York City. During the 1930s, she taught music to mentally retarded children in New York. She moved to the Washington area in the mid 1930s.

During World War II, Mrs. Blau worked for the home service division of the national office of the American Red Cross. After the war, she taught private music lessons in her home.

In 1964, she moved back to New York, where her husband, Clarence Blau, was a member of the U.S. mission to the United Nations. They returned to the Washington area in 1980.

In addition to her husband, of Washington, survivors include two daughters, Ruth Blau of Arlington and Miriam Grobois of Williamstown, Mass.; three brothers, Max Spivack of Belmont, Mass., Benjamin Spivack of Newton Center, Mass., and Jerome Spivack of Newton, Mass.; and four grandchildren.


Alexandria School Teacher

ARLINE H. GUTNICK, 59, a teacher with Alexandria public schools for 16 years, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Feb. 11 at the Lynn House Sanitarium. She had cancer.

Mrs. Gutnick, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. She moved to the Washington area in 1968. She graduated from George Mason University, where she also received a master's degree in education.

She joined the Alexandria public school system in 1971 and was an English teacher at T.C. Williams High School at the time of her death.

Mrs. Gutnick was a member of the Second Church of Christ, Scientist, where she was the Sunday School superintendent.

Survivors include her husband of 38 years, Arthur J. Gutnick of Alexandria; three children, Thomas A. Gutnick of Arlington, Fredric Gutnick of Charlotte, N.C., and Laura E. Gutnick of Oakton; and one sister, Florence Mehr of Ormond Beach, Fla.


Longtime Area Resident

CARRIE B. ROBINSON, 98, a Washington area resident since 1955 and a member of Springfield United Methodist Church, died of cardiac arrest Feb. 12 at her home in Springfield.

Mrs. Robinson was born in Pound, Va.

Her husband, George Robinson, died in 1971. Survivors include one son, James A. Robinson, and two daughters, Thelma R. Porter and Virginia Robinson, all of Springfield; six grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren.