Francis J. Toner, 55, an Army major general who most recently served as vice director of logistics for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, died of cancer Feb. 14 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Gen. Toner served 33 years in the Army before his retirement for medical reasons late last year. In his most recent assignment he had specialized in strategic mobility, readiness and contingency planning.

He had been assigned to the Joint Chiefs of Staff since 1977 and in that capacity had served in South Korea, Europe and Washington.

Gen. Toner served two tours of duty in Vietnam during the war there. In 1966-67, he commanded an assault helicopter company in the First Cavalry Division (Airmobile) and in 1970 he commanded an aviation battalion and then a transportation battalion in the same division.

His combat decorations included the Distinguished Flying Cross with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Army Commendation Ribbon with Combat "V" and the Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster. Other decorations included the Legion of Merit with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Distinguished Service Medal and the Defense Superior Service Medal.

A native of Red Bank, N.J., Gen. Toner was a graduate of the University of Virginia. He joined the Army in 1954. While on active duty he received a master's degree in business administration at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School. He also attended the Army's Command and General Staff College and the Industrial College of the Armed Forces.

He attended flight school in 1955 and later served in aviation units in operational and maintenance assignments in the United States, Greece, Germany and Korea. Before he was assigned to the Joint Chiefs of Staff he had been commander of the Seventh Army's 11th Aviation Group in West Germany and commander of the Corpus Christi Army Depot in Texas.

Gen. Toner lived in Annandale and he had been a permanent resident of the Washington area since 1968.

Survivors include his wife, Frieda Toner, and one son, Mark Toner, both of Annandale; one brother, retired Army Col. Richard Toner of San Francisco, and one sister, Mary D'Andrade of Summit, N.J.


Area Resident Since 1983

Josephine Ryan Gambrill, 99, an area resident since 1983, died of a heart attack and pneumonia Feb. 14 at the Carroll Manor nursing home in Hyattsville, where she had lived for the past eight months.

Mrs. Gambrill, who lived in Washington before entering Carroll Manor, was a native of Colorado Springs, Colo. She had lived in Ireland and Kansas City, Mo., before moving here.

Her husband, Frank Gambrill, died in 1961. Survivors include a son, Charles A., of Bermuda; six grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.


Navy Captain

William Alexander Parsons Martin, 90, a Navy captain who served more than 30 years before his retirement in 1951, died of respiratory failure Feb. 12 at Anne Arundel General Hospital.

Capt. Martin was born in India to American missionary parents. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1919 as a member of the class of 1920.

During the 1920s he served in the Eastern Mediterranean and the Black Sea and as executive officer and navigator aboard the destroyer Truxton on the Yangtze River Patrol in China. Later he taught mathematics, navigation and languages at the Naval Academy.

He was assigned at Pearl Harbor during the Japanese attack on Dec. 7, 1941, as executive officer of an ammunition ship. Later during World War II, Capt. Martin was a convoy commander in the Atlantic and a destroyer squadron commander in the Pacific. He was assigned at the Pentagon when he retired.

His decorations included the Legion of Merit with Combat "V" and two Meritorious Service Medals.

In retirement, Capt. Martin taught mathematics briefly at Johns Hopkins University and at Wroxeter-on-Severn school in Annapolis.

A resident of Annapolis since 1936, Capt. Martin was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church there. He was an oblate of the Benedictine Order of St. Anselm's Priory in Washington.

He was a charter member of the Army & Navy Club in Washington and a member of the Army-Navy Country Club, the Annapolis Yacht Club, the Naval Academy Officers Club and the Sons of the American Revolution.

His wife of 47 years, the former Frances Furlong, died in 1983.

Survivors include three children, Charlotte Martin, Beatrice Martin Buchheister and Christopher Martin, all of Annapolis; three grandchildren, and one great-grandson.


Retired ATA Librarian

Beatrice Carroll Borger, 70, a third-generation Washingtonian who was a retired research librarian with the American Trucking Association, died of cancer Feb. 14 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Borger was a graduate of Notre Dame Academy and Trinity College. From about 1951 to 1958, she helped her husband, W. Vincent Borger, run the old Meadowbrook Super Market in Bethesda. She went to work for the ATA in 1959 and retired in 1981.

Mrs. Borger was a member of Women in Transportation and the Special Libraries Association, both of which are professional organizations. She also was a member of the Annunciation Catholic Church and the Trinity College Alumnae Association and she was a volunteer cook for SOME (So Others May Eat).

Her husband died in 1959.

Survivors include two daughters, Anne Marie Marans of Washington and Cecilia Louise Raslavsky of Herndon; four sons, William Vincent Borger Jr. of Brentwood, Md., John Henry Borger of Hingham, Mass., Leo M. Borger of Mount Airy, Md., and Robert Anthony Borger of Washington; two sisters, Dorothy A. and M. Patricia Carroll, both of Turkey Point, Md., and nine grandchildren.


Navy Filing Supervisor

Madelyn A. Gratrix, 87, a retired Navy Department employee, World War I veteran and member of the American Legion, died Feb. 13 at Sleepy Hollow nursing home in Annandale. She had congestive heart failure.

Mrs. Gratrix, who lived in Springfield, was a native of Washington. She attended Eastern High School and Strayer Business College and was a Navy Yeomanette during World War I. She spent 36 years with the Navy Department before retiring in 1957 as a supervisor in its filing section.

Her first marriage, to Frederick G. Pence, ended in divorce. Her second husband, William F. Gratrix, died in 1968.

Survivors include a half-brother, Malcolm F. Smith of Greenville, S.C.