Daniel J. Callahan Jr., 83, a retired senior vice president of the Riggs National Bank and a business, church and civic leader whose interests ranged from the D.C. Bankers Association and the Board of Trade to the American Red Cross and the Archdiocesan Board of Catholic Charities, died of kidney failure Feb. 18 at his home in Kensington.

Mr. Callahan was born in Norfolk into a family that had lived in Washington for three generations. He grew up here and graduated from St. John's College High School and Georgetown University.

He began his career with Riggs in 1923 as a runner and clearinghouse clerk. He worked his way up through the securities department and in 1931 was elected assistant cashier. In 1940, he was promoted to assistant vice president and in 1945 became a vice president. He was named senior vice president and secretary of the board in 1955, and he held those positions until he retired in 1962.

Mr. Callahan also was a director of Geico Insurance Companies and its subsidiaries and of the Washington Mutual Investors Fund.

In 1940, he bought a farm in Poolesville, Md., and raised cattle there until the early 1980s.

Mr. Callahan was a past president of the D.C. Bankers Association and a member of the Rotary Club. He was a national supreme treasurer of the Knights of Columbus and a member of the John Carroll Society, and he served on the Archdiocesan Board of Catholic Charities. He was a member of the parish of Holy Redeemer Catholic Church.

He was a former director of the D.C. Chapter of the American Red Cross.

Mr. Callahan was a past president of the Society of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick and a member of the Alfalfa Club, the Chevy Chase Club and the Metropolitan Club.

Survivors include his wife of 61 years, the former Anne Bailey Scott, of Kensington; three daughters, Gerry C. Corcoran and Mary Alicia Callahan, both of Kensington, and Joanne C. McClure of Washington; one son, Daniel J. Callahan III of Washington, who is chairman of the American Security Bank; nine grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.


Noted Hostess

Martha Granger Krock, 87, a former newspaper columnist and a well-known hostess in Washington, died of pneumonia Feb. 18 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mrs. Krock, who lived in the city, was the widow of Arthur Krock, a former chief of the New York Times bureau here and the winner of four Pulitzer Prizes. He died in 1974.

A native of Lake Forest, Ill, Mrs. Krock grew up in Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington. In the early 1930s, she wrote a society column for the Hearst newspapers in Chicago.

She moved to Washington in 1933. From that time until she married Mr. Krock in 1939 she wrote a column called "These Charming People" for Hearst's Washington Times-Herald newspaper.

During World War II, Mrs. Krock headed the American Women's Volunteer Services. She also was a volunteer with the American Red Cross and she was decorated by Belgium for her war relief work.

She was a member of the 1925 F Street Club.

Her marriage to William Mitchell Blair of Chicago ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son by her first marriage, William Granger Blair, a reporter on the New York Times, of New York City; a sister, Barbara Shepard of Menasha, Wis., and Carefree, Ariz.; and three grandchildren.


Needlework Center Founder

Mary Hale Chase, 83, the founder and owner of the American Needlework Center in Georgetown and a former president of the Junior League of Washington and the Sulgrave Club, died Feb. 15 at the Carriage Hill Nursing Center in Bethesda of strokes and other complications resulting from a fall Dec. 9 in front of her home in Washington.

Mrs. Chase founded the American Needlework Center in 1962 and was involved in its management until shortly before her death.

She was born in Vienna, Austria, where her father was a Foreign Service officer assigned at the U.S. Embassy, and she grew up in Washington.

She graduated from Bryn Mawr College, and she later was a vice president of the Bryn Mawr Alumnae Association, chairwoman of a $10 million fund-raising campaign in the late 1960s and a Bryn Mawr trustee. In 1985 Mrs. Chase received Bryn Mawr's Helen Taft Manning Award for outstanding service to the college.

During World War II, Mrs. Chase was vice president of the D.C. unit of American Women's Voluntary Services. She christened two Navy destroyers, one each in World War I and World War II. Each was named Hale, for relatives who had served in the U.S. Senate.

Mrs. Chase was a former president of the Visiting Nurse Association, the board of trustees of Potomac School and the All Hallows Guild of the Washington Cathedral. She was a member of the board of trustees of the Corcoran Art Gallery.

Her husband, George Howland Chase, died in 1981, and their only child, Eugenia Chase Guild, died in 1954.

There are no immediate survivors.


Prince George's Librarian

Charmaine Stander Boyd, 47, a longtime librarian at Prince George's Community College and the founder of D.C. Citizen Advocates for Libraries, died of a brain tumor Feb. 16 at the Manor Care Nursing Home.

Mrs. Boyd, a Washington resident, was the wife of D.C. school board member Bob Boyd (Ward 6). A native of Saginaw, Mich., she received bachelor's and master's degrees from the University of Michigan.

In 1966, she moved to Washington to take a position as librarian at the Arlington County Public Library. One year later, she moved to the Prince George's Community College library, where she became coordinator of user services. She retired in 1986 because of her illness.

In 1979, Mrs. Boyd founded D.C. Citizen Advocates for Libraries, the city's first citywide advocacy group for libraries. She also was active in politics, working in the campaigns of her husband, Mayor Marion Barry and D.C. Council member Betty Ann Kane (At Large).

Mrs. Boyd was a past president of the Maryland Library Association and last year received its distinguished service citation.

Her marriage to David Yochim ended in divorce.

In addition to Mr. Boyd, of Washington, survivors include two children by her first marriage, Catherine L. Yochim of Santa Barbara, Calif., and Joshua D. Yochim of Washington; her parents, Dr. Carl and Charlotte Stander of Interlochen, Mich., and two brothers, Aaron Stander of Birmingham, Mich., and Charles Stander of St. Paul, Minn.


FDA Research Analyst

Carmin A. Soviero, 62, an operations research analyst with the Food and Drug Administration, died Feb. 17 at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda after a heart attack. He lived in Potomac.

Mr. Soviero was born in Red Bank, N.J., and graduated from Rutgers University. During World War II, he served in the Army. After the war, he joined the Defense Department in Eatontown, N.J.

He moved to the Washington area in 1968 and joined Martin Marietta Corp. as an operations research analyst. He took a similar job with the FDA in 1973.

Survivors include his wife, Patricia, and two children, Anthony P. and Daniele M. Soviero, all of Potomac, and two sisters, Louise Iannarone and Rose Marie Kieser, both of Naples, Fla.


Vienna Church Member

Helen Frances Stoutenburgh, 69, a lifelong resident of the Washington area who was a member of Holy Comforter Episcopal Church in Vienna and later St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Purcellville, died of cancer Feb. 16 at Loudoun Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Stoutenburgh was born in Washington and attended James Madison College. During World War II she worked as a secretary at the Pentagon.

She lived in Vienna for many years before moving to Purcellville about three years ago. She had been a member of the Vienna Women's Club.

Survivors include her husband, Joseph Neil Stoutenburgh of Purcellville; three sons, Russell Stoutenburgh of Falls Church, Randall Stoutenburgh of Leesburg and Dale Stoutenburgh of Dumfries, and one sister, Mary Louise Gallaher of Falls Church.


Real Estate Developer

Mae Harris Clarke, 78, a retired real estate developer in Prince George's County, died Feb. 11 at Sibley Memorial Hospital after a heart attack. She lived in Bethesda.

Miss Clarke was born in Washington and graduated from Central High School and George Washington University.

During the 1930s, she became a partner with her brother, Phillips Huntington Clarke, and his wife, Suzanne, in the Phillips H. Clarke Co. Subdivisions built by the firm include West Lanham Hills, Parkway Gate Gardens in Hyattsville and Spring Brook Terrace in Riverdale.

Miss Clarke retired in 1979 after her brother's death and the company was dissolved.

Survivors include two sisters, Cornelia Phillips Clarke Huck of San Antonio, and Anna Phillips Clarke Rogers of Upper Marlboro.


Oak Chapel Church Member

Ruth L. Weaver, 91, a resident of the Washington area since 1913 and a member of the Oak Chapel United Methodist Church and its choir, died Feb. 17 at her home in Wheaton. She had a stroke.

Mrs. Weaver was born in Spring Creek, Va. As a young woman she was a telephone operator for the Harrisonburg Telephone Co. and during World War II she was a telephone operator at the President Apartments in Georgetown, the Diplomat Hotel on 16th Street NW and at Pooks Hill in Bethesda.

Her husband, Wilmer E. Weaver, whom she married in 1913, died in 1984.

Survivors include two sons, Charles Clifford Weaver of Clinton and Wilmer E. Weaver Jr. of Silver Spring; two daughters, Ruth Juanita Johnston and Frances Lucille Lamb, both of Silver Spring; one brother, Harry R. Heatwole of El Paso; three sisters, Hazel P. Sanders of Washington, Vada Weaver of Spring Creek and Charlsie Gable of Silver Spring; nine grandchildren; 15 great-grandchildren, and four great-great-grandchildren.


Head of Pepsi in Japan

George Anadale Sr., 83, a Washington native and a retired president of Pepsi Cola of Japan, died Feb. 7 at his home in Honolulu after a heart attack.

Mr. Anadale graduated from Business High School and attended George Washington University. During the 1920s and the 1930s, he worked for banks and other businesses in the Washington area. He served in the Army in the Pacific during World War II.

After the war, he joined Pepsi Cola. He became president of the firm's Japan operation in the late 1960s. He retired in 1973 and moved from Tokyo to Honolulu in 1975.

His marriage to Elsie Anadale ended in divorce. His second wife, Ruri Anadale, died in 1986.

Survivors include his wife, Shizuko Urai Anadale of Honolulu; a son by his first marriage, George Anadale Jr. of Glen Dale, Md.; a sister, Gertrude Strasser of Silver Spring; four grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.


GPO Official and Army Officer

Norman Ernest Hicks, 77, retired superintendent of procurement at the Government Printing Office and a former Army lieutenant colonel, died Feb. 17 at Bethesda Naval Hospital. He had meningitis.

Mr. Hicks, who lived in Laurel, was born in Lynn, Mass. He came to Washington and went to work at the GPO in 1928.

In 1941, Mr. Hicks joined the Army, and served in Office of Strategic Services units in North Africa and Italy during World War II. After the war, he served in Okinawa, then during the Korean war was a liaison officer between U.S. and South Korean military police. He also attended Pennsylvania State University while serving in the Army. His military decorations included the Bronze Star.

In 1957, Mr. Hicks left the Army and returned to the GPO. He retired in 1980.

He was a member of the Joppa Masonic lodge in Washington, the Shrine in Laurel, the Military Order of the World Wars, and the Retired Officers Club of Prince George's County.

His first wife, Alice Elizabeth Clark Hicks, died in 1969.

Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth Laura Hicks of Laurel; one daughter by his first marriage, Norma Alice Hawley of Lynnfield, Mass.; one sister, Beatrice Gowan of Alton, N.H., and three grandchildren.