LINDEMAN, Philip F. Heavily decorated Army major gneral and former area residnt. At 79, of heart and kidney ailemnts.END NOTES

Philip F. Lindeman, 79, a retired Army major general who was a heavily decorated infantry officer in the Pacific campaigns in World War II, died of heart and kidney ailments Feb. 18 at his home in Sun City Center, Fla.

Gen. Lindeman, a former resident of Alexandria, was a Reserve officer his entire military career. He was born in Honolulu and commissioned in the Reserves through the Reserve Officers Training Program at the University of Washington, where he graduated in 1930. He was called to active duty early in the war.

He served in the 25th Division in the Guadalcanal and Luzon campaigns and was a battalion and regimental commander. He rose to the rank of colonel.

His wartime decorations included the Distinguished Service Cross, the highest award for bravery in the Army except for the Medal of Honor. His other combat decorations were two Silver Stars, two Bronze Stars, the Air Medal and the Combat Infantry Badge. He also held the Distinguished Service Medal, the Legion of Merit and the Army Commendation Medal.

After the war, Gen. Lindeman returned to civilian life and was in the canning business in San Francisco. As a Reserve officer he commanded the 91st Division during this period.

He was recalled to active duty in 1951 because of the Korean war. Assigned to Washington, he held a number of high staff positions involving personnel and related matters. He eventually headed ROTC and Reserve affairs.

From 1957 to 1959, he commanded the 8th Division in Germany. He held a number of staff positions in Europe until 1961, when he returned to Washington. He was deputy chief of staff of the Army for personnel, then head of the audit division, from which he retired in 1966.

Gen. Lindeman was a former president of the 25th Division Associaton and a member of the Retired Officers Association. He attended Catholic services at Fort Myer. He moved to Florida in 1978.

Survivors include his wife, Louise B. Lindeman of Sun City Center; two sons, Philip Douglas Lindeman of Salisbury, Md., and David Colman Lindeman of Washington; one sister, Adele Baker of Sarasota, Fla.; four grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.


D.C. School Principal

Wilhelmina Bullock Thomas, 78, former principal of Walker-Jones Elementary School in Washington, died Feb. 18 at the Washington Hospital Center from complications of arthritis.

Mrs. Thomas, who lived in Washington, was born in Charlotte, N.C. She moved with her family to Washington in 1918.

She graduated from Dunbar High School, the old Miner Normal School and Howard University. She received a master's degree in education from Columbia University.

She retired in 1980 after 35 years as a teacher and principal in the D.C. public school system. She was the principal of Walker-Jones Elementary School from the 1960s until she retired.

During her stewardship at Walker-Jones, the school received a commendation from Lady Bird Johnson for its work on beautification projects.

Mrs. Thomas was a former president of the Woman's Auxiliary of the National Medical Association and had worked with her husband, Dr. Ashley O. Thomas, on the development of medical and educational programs. Dr. Thomas died in 1977.

Mrs. Thomas is survived by one sister, Dr. Bennetta Bullock Washington, the wife of former D.C. Mayor Walter Washington, of Washington, and three brothers, Dr. William H. Bullock and Joseph B. Bullock, both of Washington, and Dr. Samuel C. Bullock of Philadelphia.


Registered Nurse

Blanche Lee Norman, 79, a registered nurse who worked in the obstetrics unit at the Washington Hospital Center from the late 1950s until she retired in 1972, died Feb. 18 at the Hillhaven Nursing Home in Adelphi. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Norman, who lived in Hyattsville, was born in Seattle, and she moved to the Washington area as a child. She attended McKinley Technical High School and trained as a nurse at the old Emergency Hospital.

She worked in the Visiting Nurses program during the 1930s.

During the 1940s and 1950s, Mrs. Norman was a Girl Scout leader in Hyattsville. She was a former president of the Hyattsville Women's Club and a member of St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in Hyattsville.

Her husband, Andrew Jackson Norman, died in 1964.

Survivors include a son, Andrew Lee Norman of Beltsville; five grandchildren, and a great-grandchild.


Liquor Board Employee

Alwin F. Buehler, 85, a retired salesman with the Montgomery County Liquor Board and a member of the Elks, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 17 at the Washington Adventist Hospital. He lived in Silver Spring.

Mr. Buehler was born in Washington and attended the old Central High School. During the 1920s and the 1930s, he operated a grocery with his father and his brother.

In 1944 he went to work for the Montgomery County Liquor Board. He retired about 1967.

His wife, Jeanette Buehler, died in 1977. Survivors include a sister, Alma B. Schaeffer of Silver Spring.


St. Alban's Church Member

Ethel L. Ferguson, 94, a lifelong Washington area resident and a member of St. Alban's Episcopal Church, died of heart ailments Feb. 18 at the Althea Woodland Nursing Home in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Ferguson graduated from the old Business High School.

She was a member of the Chevy Chase Club.

Her husband, Abner H. Ferguson, died in 1963. Survivors include one daughter, Mrs. Charles L. Werts of Bethesda.


Bridal Salon Manager

Elaine Spencer Bland, 77, a retired bridal salon manager with the Woodward & Lothrop department stores, died Feb. 18 at the Bethesda Naval Hospital of an aneurysm. She lived in Arlington.

Mrs. Bland was born in Roanoke, Ind. In the 1930s, she sang professionally in New York and Florida. She accompanied her husband, a naval officer, to various duty stations before moving to the Washington area in 1960. She worked for Woodward & Lothrop from 1964 until she retired in 1975.

She was a member of the Naval Officers Wives Club and the Fort Meyers Ladies Bowling League.

Survivors include her husband, retired Navy Capt. John T. Bland of Arlington; one daughter, Barbara Holt of Falls Church; two sons, John S. Bland of Arlington and Thomas H. Bland of Blacksburg, Va.; one sister, Virginia Howell of Louisville; seven grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.


Naval Intelligence Analyst

Harold Shepherd Bennett, 91, a retired naval intelligence analyst with the Navy Department, died of pneumonia Feb. 16 at a hospital in Hanover, N.H. He moved from the Washington area to Bristol, N.H., in 1960.

Mr. Bennett was born in Walden, Mass. He graduated from Harvard University and served in the Navy during World War I. He taught German in Germany during the 1920s and the 1930s.

He moved to the Washington area in 1940 and went to work for the Navy Department. He retired in 1960.

His wife, Harriet B. Bennett, died in 1985. Survivors include one daughter, Jane Shapiro of Cambridge, Mass., and one granddaughter.



Dr. V. John Murgolo, 78, a Silver Spring otolaryngologist who had practiced in the Washington area since 1946, died of cardiorespiratory arrest Feb. 19 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Dr. Murgolo, who lived in Chevy Chase, was born in New York City. He graduated from the University of Louisville and Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia. During World War II he worked with the U.S. Public Health Service at Navy medical clinics in Portsmouth, Va.

He moved to this area after the war and practiced for three years with another physician before opening an independent practice as an eye, ear, nose and throat specialist in 1949. He had continued to practice until shortly before his death.

Since medical school, Dr. Murgolo had been a specialist in medical photography.

He was a former president of the otolaryngology section of the D.C. Medical Society, a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology.

Dr. Murgolo was a woodworker and made grandfather clocks.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Bell Murgolo, two children, John Bell Murgolo and Millicent Murgolo, all of Chevy Chase, and two grandsons.


Longtime resident

Charla Coleman Bird, 71, a resident of the Washington area since 1971, died Feb. 18 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She had emphysema.

Mrs. Bird, a resident of Chevy Chase, was born in Everett, Wash. She attended the University of Washington, where she was a homecoming queen.

Survivors include her husband, Robert J. Bird of Chevy Chase; three children, Nancy Bird McKown of Bedford, N.Y., Barbara Bird Ferguson of North Caldwell, N.J., and Charles Coleman Bird of Chevy Chase; one sister, Nancy Coleman Bolton of New York City, and four grandchildren.