Dr. Andre Frederic Cournand, 92, a physician and physiologist who was a retired professor at the Columbia University medical school and one of three winners of the 1956 Nobel Prize for medicine and physiology, died of pneumonia Feb. 19 at his home in Great Barrington, Mass.
Dr. Cournand was awarded his Nobel for perfecting the catheterization process used in charting the interior of the human heart. The method proved to be a simple and reliable way of examining the heart muscle. It is used to determine the nature and extent of heart disease and to tell whether a patient could withstand surgery.
The catheter is a hollow plastic tube inserted in the left arm, through 26 inches of a large vein, into the right side of the heart. The process, which causes no pain and leaves no scar, allows the physician to measure blood volume, pressure and oxygen content in the heart. The catheter also is used to withdraw blood from the heart for examination, and to inject fluids into the heart so that the muscle can be better viewed on an X-ray screen.
Dr. Cournand was a native of Paris and served with the French infantry during World War I. He was awarded the Croix de Guerre with three stars and the Legion of Honor. He was a 1913 graduate of the University of Paris, where he later received an advanced science degree and his medical degree.
He came to this country in 1930 to become an assistant resident of the Columbia University division of Bellevue Hospital in New York City. He later became chief resident and director of the division's cardiopulmonary laboratory.
He began his teaching career at Columbia University medical school in 1935 as an instructor, became a full professor in 1951, and retired in 1964. At Columbia he teamed with Dr. Dickinson W. Richards, a faculty colleague, in researching the practical uses of the heart catheter, invented by a German scientist, Dr. Werner Forssmann, in 1929. Richards and Forssmann shared the 1956 Nobel with Dr. Cournand.
Dr. Cournand was a past chairman of the cardiovascular study section of the National Institutes of Health National Heart Institute. He also had done wartime work for the Chemical Warfare Service and the Office of Scientific Research and Development.
In addition to the Nobel, he held the prestigious Lasker Award of the U.S. Public Health Service and had been president of the Harvey Society. He had contributed technical works and served on the editorial boards of medical journals in this country and Europe.
His first wife, the former Sibylle Blumer, whom he married in 1924, died in 1959. His second wife, the former Ruth Fabian, died after 10 years of marriage in 1973.
Survivors include his wife, the former Beatrice Bishop Berle, whom he married in 1975; three daughters; nine grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.
DR. ROBERT SADLER McCENEY
Physician and Hospital Founder
Dr. Robert Sadler McCeney, 82, a retired physician and founder of the Prince George's Hospital Center and the Greater Laurel-Beltsville Hospital, died at the latter Feb. 20 of cardiac arrest. He lived in Laurel.
Dr. McCeney was born in Upper Marlboro and graduated from Laurel High School. He graduated from St. John's College in Annapolis and received his degree in medicine from the University of Maryland.
He started his private practice in general medicine in 1928. For more than 40 years, he also was the track physician at the Laurel and Bowie raceways. He delivered more than 6,000 babies during his career and continued to make house calls until the early 1980s. He retired for health reasons in 1987.
In addition to founding the two hospitals, Dr. McCeney had been president of the board and chief of the medical staff at both institutions.
He was a member of the Lions Club and had been active with the eye bank.
Survivors include his wife, Lelia Brennan McCeney of Laurel; two sons, George B. McCeney of Glencoe, Md., and James B. McCeney of Kensington; one sister, Catherine Kotrla of Southern Pines, N.C., and four grandchildren.
DR. MORTIMER JACOB KAMLET
Mortimer Jacob Kamlet, 62, a retired senior scientist with the Navy Department's Naval Surface Weapons Center in White Oak, died Feb. 18 of cancer at the Washington Hospice. He lived in Rockville.
Dr. Kamlet was born in New York City. He graduated from the City College of New York. He received a master's degree in chemistry from Columbia University and a doctorate in chemistry from the University of Maryland.
During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe. He was awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.
After the war, he completed his education. He worked briefly for a chemical firm in Chattanooga, Tenn., before moving to the Washington area in 1951. He joined the Navy Department in 1953 and became a specialist in the field of explosives chemistry. He retired in 1985.
He was coauthor and editor of the book, "Organic Electronic Spectral Data," published in the early 1950s.
Mr. Kamlet received the Navy Department's Superior Civilian Service Award in 1976 and the John A. Dahlgren Award for outstanding service in 1984.
He was a member of the American Chemical Society.
Survivors include his wife of 38 years, Rosalind Kamlet of Rockville; and two daughters, Susan Kamlet of San Francisco and Joni Kamlet of Merritt Island, Fla.
EMMA S. TAYLOR
Halfway House Operator
Emma S. Taylor, 80, the retired operator of Taylor's Foster Care, a halfway house in Northwest Washington for patients from St. Elizabeths Hospital, died Feb. 16 at the Lewis Gale Hospital in Roanoke. She had a stroke.
Mrs. Taylor, a resident of Roanoke, was born in Bedford, Va. She became a licensed practical nurse and worked in the Roanoke area and in Tampa, before moving to Washington in 1957.
She was a private duty nurse until she opened Taylor's Foster Care in 1963. She ran it until 1978, when she retired and moved to Roanoke. She also was a charter member of the Foster Care Sponsors Association of D.C.
Mrs. Taylor was a member of the auxiliary of the Cissell Saxon American Legion Post No. 41.
Her husband, James R. Taylor Sr., died in 1941.
Survivors include four sons, James R. Taylor Jr. of San Diego, Fred L. Taylor of Roanoke, Mickey L. Taylor of Milwaukee, and James A. Taylor of Fairlea, W.Va.; two daughters, Nancy Ghikas of Roanoke and Betty Keaveney of Sterling, Va.; two sisters, Etta Smith of Milwaukee and Ethel Simpkins of Blacksburg, Va.; 33 grandchildren, and 18 great-grandchildren.
MARION ARNOLD JOHNSTON
State Department Secretary
Marion Arnold Johnston, 91, a retired State Department secretary, died of cardiac arrest Feb. 18 at her home in Washington.
Mrs. Johnston was born in Carbondale, Pa., and moved to Washington and joined the State Department in 1917.
She was secretary and personal assistant to several undersecretaries, and in 1932 she accompanied Joseph C. Grew to Japan when he was named ambassador.
She was interned there with other members of the embassy staff after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, and returned to the United States on an exchange ship in 1942.
She retired in 1961.
Mrs. Johnston was a member of the National Presbyterian Church.
Her marriage to Army Col. Dana Johnston ended in divorce.
There are no immediate survivors.
Bessie Tepper, 83, the former owner of a grocery store in Washington and a liquor business in the Baltimore area, died of emphysema Feb. 19 at the Bel Pre Convalescent Home in Wheaton.
Mrs. Tepper was born in Poland. She moved to this country in 1911 and settled in the Washington area.
During the 1920s and the 1930s, she and her husband owned and operated a grocery store in Washington. They later moved to the Baltimore area and operated a liquor store there from the 1940s until she retired in about 1970.
She moved back to the Washington area in 1980.
Her husband, Phillip Tepper, died in 1969.
Survivors include two sons, Ted Tepper of Rockville and Fred Tepper of Baltimore, and four grandchildren.
THOMAS R. EWALD
Thomas R. Ewald, 58, a lawyer who worked for the Justice Department's civil rights division and later had a private law practice in Washington, died of cancer Feb. 12 at his home in Miami.
Mr. Ewald was born in Chicago. He graduated from Harvard University and received a law degree from the University of Chicago. He practiced law in Chicago and St. Louis before moving here in 1966 and joining the Justice Department.
From 1971 to 1981, Mr. Ewald had a private practice here. A specialist in employment discrimination, he filed a suit against the Uniroyal Corp. on behalf of 529 of its female workers that eventually was settled for $10 million. He also helped organize the League of Women Voters' National Litigation Progam and conducted several voting rights cases on its behalf.
Since 1981, Mr. Ewald had been a member of the law faculty at the University of Miami.
Mr. Ewald, while a resident of Washington, was a vestryman at St. Alban's Episcopal Church and a member of the Capitol Hill Restoration Society. He also was a member of the Madrigal Singers of Washington, D.C.
Survivors include his wife, Joan Brady Ewald, and two daughters, Carolyn and Mary Ewald, all of Miami, and one brother, William B. Ewald Jr. of Greenwich, Conn.
RAYMOND W. MILLER
Public Relations Society Founder
Raymond W. Miller, 93, the founder and a past president of the Public Relations Society of America and a former lecturer at Harvard University, died of a lung ailment Feb. 18 at the Althea Woodland Nursing Home in Silver Spring, where he had lived since 1985.
Mr. Miller was born in San Jose and graduated from what is now San Jose State University.
He was a walnut grower in California before moving to the Washington area in 1942 and joining the American Institute of Cooperation as president and general counsel.
Mr. Miller founded the Public Relations Society of America about 1946. From 1949 to 1954, he was a consultant with the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations. From 1949 to 1970 he was a visiting lecturer at the Harvard business school.
He was a Mason and contributed to "The New Age," a Masonic publication.
His books include, "Keepers of the Corporate Conscience," "Can Capitalism Compete?" and "A Conservative Look at Cooperatives."
Mr. Miller was a member of the Foundry United Methodist Church and the Cosmos Club, which gave him its Distinguished Service Award in 1976.
His wife, Florence Miller, died in 1976. Survivors include one daughter, Ruth Powell of St. Helena, Calif.; one son, Robert Miller of Valley Forge, Pa.; four grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.
FRANCIS JOSEPH LUCID
Francis Joseph Lucid, 89, who was a Washington manufacturers' representative from the 1930s until retiring in the late 1960s, died Feb. 18 at the Washington Home. He had Alzheimer's disease.
Mr. Lucid, who lived in Washington, was a native of Binghamton, N.Y. He attended Syracuse University and served with the Army in World War I. He moved to this area in 1933.
He was a founder of the ACME manufacturers' representatives organization, specializing in agriculture and construction equipment. He owned and operated the old Mobile Equipment Corp. of Washington, also a manufacturers' representatives' concern, from the late 1930s until liquidating it and retiring.
Mr. Lucid was a member of the Holy Name Society of the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus. He was a life member of Kenwood Golf and Country Club and a member of the University Club, the American Ordnance Association, the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, and the American Society of Military Engineers.
Survivors include his wife, Anna Louise, of Washington; a son, John Francis Lucid of Bethesda; five grandchildren, and a great-grandchild.
DR. DONALD LOUIS HOUSTON
Dr. Donald Louis Houston, 53, administrator of the Agriculture Department's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, died Feb. 19 of cancer at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Arlington.
Dr. Houston was born in East St. Louis, Ill. He graduated from the University of Illinois, where he also received a degree in veterinary medicine. From 1958 to 1960, he served in the Army Veterinary Corps.
He joined the Department of Agriculture in St. Louis in 1961 and transferred to the Washington area in 1965. He served as chief of the Food Safety and Inspection Service before he was promoted in 1987 to head of the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.
He received the Meritorious Executive Award from President Jimmy Carter in 1980 and was presented the Distinguished Executive Award by President Reagan in 1984. From 1981 to 1987, he also received the Agriculture Department's Senior Executive Service Performance Awards.
Dr. Houston was a member of the American Veterinary Medicine Association and the Federal Veterinarians.
Survivors include his wife, Joan P. Houston, and one son, Russell Houston, both of Arlington.
French Press Relations Officer
Jean Baube, 81, a former Washington area resident and a retired press relations counselor with the French Embassy in Washington from 1958 to 1974, died Feb. 19 of congestive heart failure at a hospital in Venice, Fla. He lived in Boca Grande, Fla.
Mr. Baube was born in Paris. He was a correspondent in London for the old Havas French news service before becoming the agency's Washington correspondent in 1936. During World War II, he served in the Free French Forces. He returned to Washington in 1945 to serve as a press relations officer with the French Embassy.
He went back to France in 1958 and worked briefly on the staff of Charles de Gaulle, the former general and wartime leader of the Free French who was elected president of France in 1958. Mr. Baube then returned to Washington and became the French Embassy's press relations counselor. He retired in 1974 and moved to Florida.
Survivors include his wife, Lilian, of Boca Grande; two children, Ian Baube of Silver Spring, and Anne Burdick of Bethesda; seven grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.
FOREST JAY PINKERTON
Voice of America Engineer
Forest Jay Pinkerton, 67, a Voice of America engineer who retired earlier this year, died Feb. 18 at Mount Vernon Hospital after a heart attack.
Mr. Pinkerton, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Scottville, Mich. He attended a radio school in Indiana. During World War II he served in the Army in the South Pacific.
He worked for General Electric Company in Lynchburg, Va., and for several radio stations before moving to the Washington area in 1970 and joining the Voice of America.
Since 1939 Mr. Pinkerton had been an amateur radio operator.
His marriage to Louise Taylor Pinkerton ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife, Virginia Pinkerton of Alexandria; one daughter by his first marriage, Berta Kay Jones of Lynchburg; three daughters by his second marriage, Marion Anderson, Bonnie Brady and Jaguar, a rock singer who is known by that name professionally and legally, all of Alexandria; two stepsons, Mark Dooley of Vienna and John Dooley of Alexandria, and eight grandchildren.
JOHN BURLING DIXSON
Retired Air Force Official
John Burling Dixson, 90, a retired special assistant to the controller of the Air Force Department who was active in church groups, died of pneumonia Feb. 13 at the National Orthopaedic & Rehabilitation Hospital. He lived in Arlington.
Mr. Dixson was a native of New York state and attended the University of Vermont. From 1919 to 1930, he worked in the Far East for a banking concern. He then joined the Frigidaire division of General Motors, working in the Far East and India, until moving here and joining the government in 1941.
During World War II, he worked for the Office of Foreign Funds Control, which was involved in the Lend-Lease program. He joined the Air Force Department in 1947 and worked there until retiring in 1963.
Mr. Dixson had been an elder, usher and trustee of National Presbyterian Church in Washington. He was a member of the Metropolitan Club.
Survivors include his wife of 60 years, the former Irene Montgomery, of Arlington.
JAMES F. WOOD
NASA Rocket Engineer
James F. Wood, 58, a rocket engineer who had worked for NASA for the past 23 years, died Feb. 18 at a hospital in Huntsville, Ala., after a heart attack. A Rockville resident, he was on business when he was stricken.
Mr. Wood was a graduate of what is now Widener College in his native Chester, Pa., and was a Navy veteran. He moved here and joined NASA in 1965. Over the years, he worked at the Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt on projects involving the development and launching of rockets.
He had been a manager of the Burst and Transit Source, a consultant on the Castor IV solid rocket booster, and had worked in Goddard's gamma ray observatory and on new boosters to be used in the shuttle project.
Survivors include his wife, Lois, of Rockville; a son, Navy Lt. Jeffrey Wood of Virginia Beach; two daughters, Kristin Wood of Rockville, and Cynthia Wood Granito of Gambrills, Md.; a brother, Jack, and a sister, Glenna Wood Shanko, both of Chester, and a grandson.
ROY E. ADOLFSON
Naval Intelligence Adviser
Roy E. Adolfson, 64, a retired special adviser with the Naval Intelligence Command, died Feb. 8 at Arlington Hospital after a cerebral hemorrhage. He lived in Arlington.
Mr. Adolfson was born in Chicago. He graduated from George Washington University, where he also received a master's degree in international affairs. He attended the Naval War College.
During World War II, he served in the Army in France, Germany and Austria. He moved to the Washington area in 1947 and joined what became the Naval Intelligence Command. When he retired in 1973, he was a special adviser for policy matters to the director of the NIC and to the joint staff of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Mr. Adolfson received the Navy Department's Superior Service Award in 1960 and in 1965.
Survivors include his wife, Phyllis S. Adolfson of Arlington; two brothers, Robert C. Adolfson of Euclid, Fla., and Gilbert A. Adolfson of Tavares, Fla., and one sister, Irma L. Adolfson of Euclid.
DR. JOSEPH C. SHAW SR.
Dr. Joseph C. Shaw Sr., a retired Washington area dentist who had a private practice for more than 50 years, died Feb. 19 of cardiac arrest at the Washington Hospital Center. He lived in Washington.
Dr. Shaw was born in Providence, R.I. He grew up in the Washington area and graduated from Eastern High School. He attended George Washington University and received his degree in dentistry from Georgetown University.
He started his private dental practice in 1933. He also served on the staff of the old Episcopal Ear, Nose, and Throat Hospital during the 1930s. He retired in 1985.
Dr. Shaw was a member of the American Dental Association, the Dean Cogan Dental Society of Georgetown University, and Sacred Heart Catholic Church.
Survivors include his wife, Ruth E. Shaw of Washington; one son, Joseph C. Shaw Jr. of Arlington; two daughters, Kathleen E. Palcher of Gaithersburg and Margaret S. Shaw of Washington, and five grandchildren.
MARIE T. COLLIER
Nurse at Cancer Institute
Marie T. Collier, 80, a registered nurse who retired from the National Cancer Institute in 1972 as a nursing supervisor, died Feb. 18 at the Carroll Manor nursing home in Hyattsville. She had pneumonia.
Miss Collier was born in Centralia, Pa. She moved to Washington in 1929 as a student at the Providence Hospital School of Nursing. She graduated in 1933 and did private duty nursing until she joined the staff of the NCI in the mid-1950s.
A former resident of Kensington, she lived in Mount Carmel, Pa., from 1975 until moving to Carroll Manor in 1984.
Miss Collier was a member of Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Kensington.
Survivors include two sisters, Catharine A. Collier of Mount Carmel and Martha A. Purcell of Hyattsville.
Retired Area Businessman
Jack Cogan, 87, a retired area businessman who lived here from the 1930s until moving to Illinois in 1987, died of kidney failure Feb. 19 at a hospital in Highland Park, Ill. He lived in Chicago.
Mr. Cogan was born in Lithuania and came to this country in 1903. He lived in Hartford, Conn., before moving here. From the 1930s to the 1960s, he owned and operated the old Standard Auto Glass company in Washington. He then owned and operated the Ace Auto Wrecking business in Laurel until retiring in 1978.
His wife, Roseann, died in 1986. Survivors include a son, Henry, of Chicago; a daughter, Nance Moreland of Lake Forest, Ill.; a brother, Herman, of Springfield, Mass.; a sister, Irene Galliot of Bloomfield, Conn., and four grandchildren.
HERMINE B. PAIR
N.Y. Hospital Visitor
Hermine B. Pair, 79, a Washington resident since 1981 and a former member of the advisory board to the welfare commissioner of Westchester County, N.Y., died Feb. 18 at Howard University Hospital after a heart attack.
Mrs. Pair was born in Georgetown, S.C., and grew up in New York City. She attended Columbia University and the Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science & Art. She lived in Mount Vernon, N.Y., and before moving here, Gov. Nelson A. Rockefeller appointed her a visitor to the Harlem Valley State Hospital.
Survivors include her husband, Clarence Q. Pair, and one son, Quinten Pair, both of Washington, and two grandchildren.
DOROTHY G. NORRIS
Secretary at Musicians Union
Dorothy G. Norris, 80, a retired secretary with the American Federation of Musicians, died of pneumonia and complications of diabetes Feb. 18 at the Potomac Valley Nursing Home in Rockville.
Mrs. Norris was born in Washington and graduated from Central High School. She attended George Washington University. She went to work for the musicians union in the early 1950s and retired in 1971.
She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and the Oriental Shrine.
Her husband, Edward R. Norris, died in 1954. She leaves no immediate survivors.