A 19-year-old Northwest Washington man faces a mandatory minimum 20 years in prison after his conviction yesterday in the slaying of D.C. police Officer Robert Remington, who was shot to death with his own service revolver last May after he interrupted a burglary at a Georgetown boutique.

Michael A. Perry, who shot the officer five times after Remington pleaded for his life, was convicted by a D.C. Superior Court jury of all counts against him, including a charge of first-degree murder, which carries the mandatory term 20 years to life.

An accomplice in the aborted burglary, Derwin B. Straite, 23, also of Northwest Washington, whose involvement stirred heated reactions from the city's police force when a murder charge against him was dismissed during trial, was convicted yesterday on charges of burglary and attempted theft. Straite faces a maximum sentence of 16 years.

Gary Hankins, chairman of the labor committee of the Fraternal Order of Police, said he was pleased with the verdicts against both men but said he will seek disciplinary action against Judge Truman A. Morrison III for not allowing jurors to decide the murder charge against Straite.

"After listening to their findings today, I think they {jurors} would have found him guilty," Hankins said. Hankins said he had drafted a letter to the D.C. Judicial Disabilities and Tenure Commission requesting that Morrison be removed from the bench.

An official in the U.S. attorney's office, who asked not to be identified, said last night that Morrison's decision to dismiss the murder charge cannot be appealed by the government because it would create an impermissible situation of double jeopardy for Straite.

Morrison, who ruled that Straite could not have foreseen that the burglary would lead to a death, could not be reached for comment last night.

Perry, dressed in a dark blue suit and red tie, swiveled in his chair at the defense table, pondering the ceiling as the jury announced its verdict. Morrison ordered him held without bond pending sentencing April 14.

Perry's attorney, Greta Van Susteren, who had told jurors that Perry shot the officer in self-defense following a struggle over the gun, said she will appeal the verdict. She questioned Morrison's decision to allow as evidence a statement Perry allegedly had made to a friend three months before the slaying indicating he would shoot a police officer if he were ever accosted by one.

"It's a sad case. Nobody will ever know for sure what happened inside that store. There were no witnesses," Van Susteren said outside court. "My client was shot first and then he shot the police officer. The jury decided that was first-degree murder and we have to accept the verdict."

According to police, Perry and Straite had gone to Georgetown after smoking PCP, intending to steal clothes at the Hugo Boss store on Wisconsin Avenue. While Straite waited outside as lookout, Perry entered the store and tripped off a burglar alarm and Officer Remington rushed to the scene.

In statements made to police after his arrest, Perry said the officer approached him with his gun drawn and that Perry struggled to avoid being shot. Perry, who had a long criminal record as a juvenile, was shot once in the hand. He told police he did not know how Remington had been shot five times.