Cecil Alexander Brownlow III, 61, a senior editorial adviser of the Flight Safety Foundation who was a longtime newspaperman and magazine writer, died of lung cancer Feb. 23 at his home in Potomac.

Mr. Brownlow was born in Mount Pleasant, Tenn., and graduated from Columbia (Tenn.) Military Academy in 1944. He then entered the Navy's V-5 pilot training program, an experience that fueled what turned out to be a lifelong interest in aviation. He was a 1949 graduate of Louisiana State University, where he was editor of the college newspaper.

After college, he joined the old International News Service, and covered the Korean war. From 1953 to 1955, he was a rewrite man with the old New York Herald Tribune. He then came to Washington and became an editor of Aviation Week and Space Technology magazine.

His journalism prizes included the Robert S. Ball Memorial Award for space writing and the James J. Strebig aviation writing award. The Flight Safety Foundation recently named its aviation safety writing award for him.

Mr. Brownlow was known throughout the aerospace community as an indefatigable, affable chronicler of the U.S. space program from its shaky beginnings to the landing of Americans on the moon. He left Aviation Week in 1977 to run the Hudson Valley, N.Y., newspapers he had purchased. He returned to the Washington area in 1981 and joined the Flight Safety Foundation to edit its publications.

Survivors include his wife, Ann Weyman Brownlow of Potomac; two daughters, Mary Ann Brownlow of Potomac and Fay Brownlow of Washington, and a son, Cecil A. Brownlow IV, an Army private first class stationed at Fort Bragg, N.C.



Robert Joseph Lapham, 58, director of demographic studies at Westinghouse's Institute for Resource Development in Columbia, died of brain cancer Feb. 20 at his home in Arlington.

Dr. Lapham had been at Westinghouse since 1984. His duties there involved the direction of demographic and health surveys for use in the planning and evaluation of health programs in developing countries around the world.

From 1977 until he joined the Westinghouse program, which is funded by the Agency for International Development, he worked with the National Academy of Sciences in Washington where he was study director of the committee on population and demography.

Dr. Lapham, a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., graduated from the University of Michigan.

From 1955 until 1963 he worked for Church World Service with Palestinian refugees in the Middle East, and his duties there involved clothing distribution, feeding centers and medical clinics.

Upon returning to the United States, Dr. Lapham entered graduate school at the University of Michigan. In 1965, he won a fellowship to do research on fertility in the Sais plains of Morocco. He received a doctorate in sociology from Michigan in 1970.

While in Morocco, Dr. Lapham was hired by the Population Council and assigned to Tunisia. From 1969 to 1977, he worked for the Population Council in New York. He then joined the National Academy of Sciences.

Dr. Lapham had contributed to more than 35 books and written dozens of articles on fertility and family planning. He was secretary-treasurer of the Population Association of America from 1984 to 1987.

Dr. Lapham, who was active in Boy Scout activities for 27 years, was an Eagle Scout and scoutmaster of Troop 167 in Arlington from 1980 to 1987.

He was a member of the board of trustees and the sanctuary committee of Dumbarton United Methodist Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 33 years, Dr. E. Virginia Sheppard Lapham of Arlington; four sons, David Lapham of Bronxville, N.Y., and Fred, Thomas and Timothy Lapham, all of Arlington; one daughter, Susan Lapham of Arlington; one brother, Harold Lapham of Hyattsville, and two sisters, Evelyn Clock of Bay Shore, N.Y., and Gwendolyn Efird of Little Rock, Ark.


Artist and Printmaker

Phoebe Knight Long, 67, an artist who worked with watercolors and made prints, died Feb. 20 at Fairfax Hospital, where she had undergone surgery for vasculitis.

Mrs. Long, who lived in Annandale, was born in Pocantico Hills, N.Y. She attended the Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science & Art. She moved to the Washington area in 1963.

She was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Annandale.

Survivors include her husband, David H. Long of Annandale; three children, David W. Long of Monroe, La., Robyn Consroe of Potomac and Barbara Deaton of Oceanside, Calif.; three brothers, George Knight of Miami, John Knight of Hyde Park, Vt., and William Knight of Bethesda; two sisters, Hilda Hammer of Milesburg, Pa., and Evelyn Springston of Gold Beach, Ore.; eight grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.


Volunteer Worker

Janet P. Cohn, 89, a resident of the Washington area since 1935 who was active in volunteer work, died of pneumonia Feb. 22 at the Fernwood House nursing home in Bethesda, where she had lived for the past two years.

Mrs. Cohn did volunteer work for the USO, Little Theater groups and the Council of Jewish Women. She was chairman of the sightseeing volunteers with the Armed Services Hospitality Committee and received the group's Distinguished Service Award. She also was a recipient of the old District Commissioners' merit award and an award from the Air Force for her volunteer work.

She was a member of the Washington Hebrew Congregation and the National Press Club.

Mrs. Cohn attended Brenau College in Georgia and the old Chicora College in her native South Carolina. She was a newspaper society editor in South Carolina before moving to the Washington area.

Her husband, David E. Cohn, died in 1969. Survivors include one daughter, Marilyn C. Fine of Washington; one sister, Hanna Pearlstine of Wilmington, N.C.; two grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.


Church Member

Carolyn Badger Parry, 61, a resident of the Washington area for 40 years who had been active in church, died of cancer Feb. 14 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mrs. Parry, who lived in Annandale, was born in Cleveland and graduated from Syracuse University where she also received a master's degree in public administration.

She had been a member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Alexandria, Truro Episcopal Church in Fairfax and the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd in Burke.

Survivors include her husband, John E. Parry of Annandale; four daughters, Susan Montgomery of Raleigh, N.C., Nancy Bledsoe of Winchester, Va., Sally Young of Peachtree City, Ga., and Carol Parry of Blacksburg, Va.; one son, John E. Parry III of Danville, Ind., and nine grandchildren.


D.C. Corrections Officer

Michael Paul Stephens, 44, a former D.C. Department of Corrections officer, died Feb. 22 at Holy Cross Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Stephens, who lived in Kensington, was born in Washington and graduated from Wheaton High School. He was in the Marine Corps from 1963 to 1967 and served in Vietnam.

Upon his return to the United States, he became a corrections officer at the D.C. Jail and at Lorton. He retired on disability about 10 years ago after heart bypass surgery.

Survivors include his mother, Martha Rose Stephens of Kensington, and one sister, Toni Farello of Silver Spring.


Singer and Choir Member

Cora Timothy Jecko, 85, a lifelong resident of the Washington area and a former employee of National Geographic Magazine and the Garfinckel's department store branch in Spring Valley, died Feb. 22 at Holy Cross Hospital. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Jecko, a resident of Bethesda, was born in Washington. She graduated from Business High School. A singer all of her life, she had a radio program in Washington in the early 1930s.

She was a clerk at National Geographic from about 1925 to 1935 and a salesperson at Garfinckel's from about 1955 to 1965.

Mrs. Jecko was a member of the choir at St. John's Episcopal Church, Norwood Parish, and a member of the parish of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church. She also was a member of the Bethesda Women's Club and the Edgemoor swimming and tennis club and was a former treasurer of the Bethesda Elementary School Parent-Teacher Association.

Survivors include her husband of 56 years, Perry Joseph Jecko of Bethesda; two sons, Perry Timothy Jecko of New York City and Michael Whitfield Jecko of Olney; one sister, Violet T. Davis of St. Augustine, Fla.; one brother, Harold Vincent Timothy of Washington; seven grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.


Church Member and Traveler

Beverly C. Jackson, 65, a Wheaton resident who was active in church and who had traveled extensively, died of cancer Feb. 22 at her home.

Mrs. Jackson was born in Pittsburgh. Before moving to the Washington area in 1959 she accompanied her husband, who was enlisted in the Navy, to naval facilities throughout the country.

Since settling in this area she had been active in the Wally Byam Caravan Club International, an association of owners of Airstream travel trailers.

Mrs. Jackson had been a member of the Resurrection Lutheran Church in Wheaton and St. Paul's United Methodist Church in Kensington.

Survivors include her husband of 45 years, Charles L. Jackson of Wheaton; one daughter, Joy Ann Williams of Wheaton; one son, James A. Jackson of Tucson; her mother, Wilma A. Knechtel of Pittsburgh; two brothers, Harold A. Knechtel of Pittsburgh and William C. Knechtel of Baker, Ore., and four grandchildren.


Truck Driver

James W. Gross, 75, a retired truck driver for Smith Transfer Co., died Feb. 21 at Prince George's Hospital Center after a stroke.

Mr. Gross, who lived in Glenn Dale, was born in Beltsville. He graduated from Lakeland High School.

During the 1940s he worked in the baggage room of Union Station. He then joined Smith Transfer Co. and retired about 1979.

His wife, Geneva Agnes Gross, died in 1977.

Survivors include two sons, James Rodney Gross of Glenn Dale and Charles Edward Gross of Laurel; four sisters, Margaret Snowden of Baltimore and Mary Brewer, Anna Henry and Enoch Hosley, all of Beltsville, and one grandson.


Springfield Resident

Luralene Carter Elmendorf, 53, a resident of Springfield since 1966, died of cancer Feb. 22 at Fair Oaks Hospital.

Mrs. Elmendorf was born in Valdosta, Ga., and graduated from Valdosta State College.

Before moving to Springfield she accompanied her husband to military bases in the United States, Japan and Thailand while he was on duty with the Air Force.

Survivors include her husband of 32 years, Tom Elmendorf of Springfield; three sons, Trey Elmendorf of Ringgold, Ga., and Craig and Rick Elmendorf, both of Springfield, and three grandchildren.


Methodist Home Board Member

Eva M. McKee, 93, a life member of the Bethesda United Methodist Church who had served on the board of the Methodist Home in Washington, died of cardiac arrest Feb. 16 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mrs. McKee, a resident of Bethesda, was born in Lawrenceville, Va. She moved here as a young woman to study nursing at he old Garfield Hospital nursing school. She graduated as a registered nurse and did private duty work for about five years.

She was a former member of the Women's Club of Bethesda and the Bethesda Community Garden Club.

Her husband, Samuel A. McKee, died in 1973.

There are no immediate survivors.


Library of Congress Cataloguer

Elizabeth Hayes Shaw, 81, a former cataloguer at the Library of Congress who was active in volunteer work, died of cancer Feb. 23 at her home in Chevy Chase.

Mrs. Shaw was born in Baltimore. She grew up there and in Washington. She graduated from Central High School and attended George Washington University. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University in 1928. For the next several years she worked at the Library of Congress.

Mrs. Shaw had been a volunteer at what is now the Washington Home and at the Thrift Shop of All Saints Episcopal Church in Chevy Chase, of which she was a member. She also was a member of the Chevy Chase Club and of various book, music and garden clubs in the area.

Her husband, Edwin B. Shaw, died in 1975. A son, John A. Shaw, died in 1985.

Survivors include one daughter, Elizabeth Sur of Bethesda, and two grandchildren.