The following were among actions taken at the Feb. 25 meeting of the Howard County School Board. For more information, call 992-0500.

NEW SCHOOL SITE -- The board voted unanimously to locate the new elementary school scheduled to open in the fall of 1990 on the site of the old Waterloo Middle School near the junction of Rte. 175 and I-95 in the northeastern part of the county.

The $7.6 million school will be built in an area where existing schools have felt the impact of the growing number of school-age children, school officials said. The school system already owns the property and purchasing other property wouldn't be feasible, said Chairwoman Anne Dodd.

The school system will raze the existing building this summer. It has been used for some school administrative offices and the county's Headstart program, an early childhood education program, since Waterloo Middle School was closed in 1984. Board member William Manning asked where the Headstart program would be housed after the demolition. Associate Superintendent for Finance Charles Ecker said that so far there has been "no resolution" to this problem because no other space is available in any of the school system's buildings.

ST. JOHN'S LANE ADDITION -- Associate Superintendent for Finance Charles Ecker told the board and about 30 parents from St. John's Lane Elementary School that the $650,000 school addition will not be ready as scheduled for the start of school this fall and may be delayed for as long as a month.

The 3,000-square-foot modular addition, designed to hold 125 students, was scheduled to be delivered on Aug. 1, leaving workers one month to hook up electrical and plumbing systems, said school construction and planning director Sidney Cousin. Now the module will not arrive until Aug. 31, leaving workers only one week to prepare the addition before classes start. Cousin and Ecker said that Hankin Construction, the contractor hired for the project, had given them each different amounts of time needed to set up the modular unit -- ranging from three to 30 days. "It will probably be ready sometime in between," Ecker said.

In the interim, school officials have proposed converting the gym or cafeteria into temporary classrooms. About 30 parents at the meeting objected, saying those areas are needed for lunch and physical education classes.

ACADEMIC ASSISTANCE PROGRAM -- The board voted unanimously to continue to select county elementary schools for Chapter One federal assistance services based on the number of free and reduced-priced lunches served. The program provides for extra instruction in reading and math for economically disadvantaged children.

Rae Ellen Levene, coordinator of the school system's Chapter One/Early Childhood program, said that schools with 30 or more students receiving free or reduced-priced lunches will be eligible to receive the services. Students at participating schools are then tested, and those who score low in math and reading are enrolled in the program.

Last year, approximately 850 county students in 10 elementary schools participated in the program at a cost of $500,000. Levene said that all of the schools participating this year in the program will be eligible next year. Howard County has participated in the federal program since 1968.