Leland J. Barrows, 81, the first U.S. ambassador to the West African nations of Cameroon and Togo, died of cancer March 3 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. Barrows was named ambassador to the two countries shortly after they became independent in 1960. He served as ambassador to both of them in 1960 and 1961, and then as ambassador to Cameroon until 1966, when he retired from the State Department.

He joined the State Department in 1947 as deputy director of the office of informational and educational exchange, then served in foreign assistance assignments in Paris, Rome, Athens and Saigon where he was chief of the International Cooperation Administration's mission.

In 1958 Mr. Barrows returned to Washington as the International Cooperation Administration's regional director for the Near East and South Asia.

A resident of Washington, Mr. Barrows was born in Lawrence, Kan. He graduated from the University of Kansas where he also received a master's degree in political science.

Before moving to the Washington area in 1934, he was a high school principal, university teacher, newspaper reporter and radio announcer in Kansas.

He worked in the Department of Agriculture before World War II. During the war he was assistant director of the War Relocation Authority and later was an officer in the Coast Guard.

Before joining the State Department he worked in the Office of Price Administration and the Housing and Home Finance Agency.

Upon retiring from the State Department, Mr. Barrows served three years on the faculty of the graduate school of public and international affairs at the University of Pittsburgh, then returned to Washington. He was an assistant to the president of Washington Technical Institute and a member of the senior staff of Georgetown University's Center for Strategic and International Studies before he retired a second time in 1974.

He was a member of the American Foreign Service Association, DACOR (Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired), the Council on Foreign Relations and the Cosmos Club.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Irene Conley Barrows of Washington; two children, Jennifer Barrows of Washington and Leland C. Barrows of Bucharest, and one granddaughter.


Indian Specialist

Jack R. Ridley, 54, a specialist in Indian affairs at the Department of the Interior since 1979, died of liver and kidney ailments Feb. 28 at his home in Burke.

At the time of his death, Dr. Ridley was a special liaison officer for Indian and tribal affairs between the Bureau of Land Management and the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Earlier, he had been director of the office of tribal resources development in the Bureau of Indian Affairs and special assistant to the deputy assistant secretary of the Interior in the area of economic development for Indian tribal governments.

He was born in Elko, Nev., where he was a member of the Western Shoshone Tribe of Indians. He served four years in the Air Force during the 1950s. He graduated from the University of Nevada at Reno, where he also received a master's degree in plant physiology. He received a doctorate in plant physiology at the University of California at Davis.

He was an associate professor of plant science at the University of Idaho from 1966 to 1978.

Survivors include his wife, Sarah Kipp Ridley, and two sons, Jack Jr. and Jeff Ridley, all of Burke; one daughter, Jana Taylor of Alexandria; two sisters; two brothers, and one granddaughter.


World Bank Secretary

Nahed Basmi Mahmoud, 59, a Washington area resident since 1978 and a secretary with the World Bank, died March 1 at Suburban Hospital after a heart attack. She lived in Bethesda.

Mrs. Mahmoud was born in Cairo. She worked as an administrative officer with the Beirut offices of the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund before moving to the United States in 1978. She had worked for the World Bank since 1985.

Her husband, Elsayed Magued Mahmoud, died in 1985.

Survivors include two daughters, Saadia Mahmoud Fabien and Samira Mahmoud, both of Bethesda; two sisters, Laila and Seihair Basmi, both of Cairo; two brothers, Ahmad and Amr Basmi, both of Cairo, and one half-brother, Hamed Mahmoud, of Cairo.


IMF Press Aide

Luis Ruben Azocar, 72, a retired official of the International Monetary Fund and a former Washington area resident, died of a pulmonary embolism Feb. 28 at his home in Santiago, Chile.

Mr. Azocar, who moved from Washington to Santiago in 1981, was born in Chile. He graduated from the University of Chile and from Columbia University. He was a journalist in Santiago before moving to the Washington area in 1963 and joining the IMF.

He represented the IMF at meetings of the Inter-American Development Bank and was head of the IMF's Latin American press relations and public affairs office when he retired in 1981.

Survivors include his wife, Violeta Azocar of Santiago; three daughters, Violeta and Angelica Azocar and Patricia Azocar de Cruz, all of Santiago, and six grandchildren.


Beautician and Volunteer

Mamie S. Wyllie, 73, a former Alexandria beautician who also had been a hospital volunteer, died of congestive heart failure March 1 at Alexandria Hospital.

Mrs. Wyllie, a lifelong resident of Alexandria, owned and operated the LaMae Beauty Salon there in the early 1950s.

She had been a volunteer at Alexandria Hospital and was a member of DelRay United Methodist Church in Alexandria.

Her first husband, Charles William Foote, died in 1977. Her second husband, Howard W. Wyllie, died in November.

Survivors include three children by her first marriage, Charles H. Foote of Aurora, Colo., Raymond C. Foote of Fairfax and Sheila A. Foote of Alexandria; one sister, Helen Bradfield of Alexandria; four grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.


Methodist Church Member

Irene M. Sharp, 86, a longtime Washington area resident and a member of Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church, died of a heart ailment March 2 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Sharp was born in New Hope, Va. She moved to the Washington area in 1925.

She was a member of the Congressional and Kenwood country clubs.

Her husband, Louie B. Sharp, died in 1983. Survivors include one daughter, Nancy Wenger of Arlington; four grandchildren, and one great-granddaughter.


Bureau of Mines Engineer

John A. Ruppert, 73, a chemical engineer with the U.S. Bureau of Mines for 27 years before retiring in 1969, died of arteriosclerosis Feb. 29 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Ruppert was a native of Washington and a graduate of McKinley Technical High School. He received a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering at the University of Maryland. He joined the Bureau of Mines in 1942.

He was a member of the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Naomi Ruppert of Washington, and one stepdaughter, Judith L. Papageorge of Silver Spring.



Mildred Jones Schutrumpf, 87, a retired secretary who had worked 35 years at the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, died of a heart ailment March 1 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mrs. Schutrumpf was a lifelong resident of Washington. She attended Goucher College. She retired from the Agricultural Department in 1961.

Her husband, John C. Schutrumpf, died in the mid-1960s.

There are no immediate survivors.


Ward 5 ANC Member

Estella Edds Sims, 77, a retired accounting supervisor at the Naval Research Laboratory and a former Advisory Neighborhood Council member in Ward 5 in Washington, died Feb. 24 at the Washington Hospital Center. She had diabetes.

Mrs. Sims, a Washington resident, was born in Rose Hill, Va., and reared on a farm at Sterling in Loudoun County. She graduated from Cardozo High School in Washington. She attended American University and the Department of Agriculture Graduate School.

She went to work at the Naval Research Laboratory in the 1940s and retired in the late 1970s with 30 years of service.

Mrs. Sims was a past president of the Bloomingdale Civic Association and a former vice president and secretary of the D.C. Federation of Civic Associations and she was active in Democratic politics in the city. She was a member of the Metropolitan Baptist Church.

Her husband, Lonnie Sims, died in 1950.

Survivors include one brother, Lester Edds of New Jersey.


Research Pathologist

Irving Robert Schneider, 73, a retired research pathologist with the Agriculture Department, died of a heart attack on Feb. 26 at the Mexico City International Airport. He was on a vacation in Mexico City.

Dr. Schneider was born in San Francisco. He graduated from the University of California at Berkeley, where he also received a doctorate in virology. He also had studied at the San Francisco Art Institute.

During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific. He later worked for the Illinois State Natural History Survey in Urbana, Ill.

He moved to the Washington area in 1956 and joined the Department of Agriculture, where he conducted studies of plant viruses. He retired in 1979 and moved to Davis, Calif., where he later was a visiting chemist at the University of California at Davis.

Survivors include his wife, Judy Schneider of Davis; one daughter, Karen Schneider of Washington, and one sister, Helen Cooper of Kentfield, Calif.