Dr. Charles R. Prudhomme, 80, a retired Washington psychoanalytic psychiatrist who had served on the D.C. Mental Health Commission in the 1960s and was a national vice president of the American Psychiatric Association in the 1970s, died March 1 at his home in Washington after a heart attack.

Dr. Prudhomme engaged in private practice for more than 35 years before retiring about 1973.

He was prominent in efforts to integrate his profession in this city. When he was appointed to a four-year term on the D.C. Mental Health Commission in 1962, it was announced that he was the first black to serve on the eight-physician panel in its 24-year history.

He was a leader of the black caucus at the 1969 national meeting of the American Psychiatric Association.

He was elected association vice president in 1970, the first black officer in its 126-year history. He was a 1985 recipient of an APA distinguished service award.

He also received awards from the D.C. Alliance for Psychiatric Progress and the Black Psychiatrists of America.

He was a founding fellow of the American College of Psychoanalysis and a life fellow of the American Psychoanalytic Association.

Dr. Prudhomme, who had lived in the Washington area since 1925, was a native of Louisiana.

He was a graduate of Howard University and received his medical doctorate there in 1934. He served his internship and residency at what is now Howard University Hospital and became a licensed psychiatrist in 1938.

In addition to his private practice in Washington, he had taught at Howard and had been affiliated with the university's student counseling services program. He was a consultant to the Peace Corps in the 1960s.

His wife, the former Rhetta Wilson, died in 1987.

Survivors include a stepdaughter, Jeanne Chambers of Sag Harbor, N.Y., and a sister, Jewel Neal of Kansas City, Mo.


Teacher and Programmer

Maureen O'Brien Kourtz, 39, a former mathematics teacher at Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School who later was a computer programmer for the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co., died of cancer March 4 at Fair Oaks Hospital in Fairfax.

Mrs. Kourtz, a resident of Fairfax, was born into an Army family at Fort Benning, Ga. She grew up in Bethesda.

She graduated from the College of New Rochelle in New Rochelle, N.Y., and received a master's degree in mathematics from Georgetown University.

She taught at Georgetown Visitation from 1972 to 1980, and was a member of the programming staff of the C&P Telephone Co. from 1980 to 1985.

Since then she had worked for the IMI Corp., a New York-based programming consulting firm, on various projects for the American Telephone & Telegraph Co.

Mrs. Kourtz was a member of Mensa, an organization for people with high IQs.

Survivors include her husband, Paul B. Kourtz of Fairfax; her mother, Mary O'Brien of Bethesda; two sisters, Kathleen Dignan of Great Falls and Rosaire O'Brien of Baltimore, and three brothers, Jay O'Brien of Clifton, Va., Michael O'Brien of Fairfax and Army Capt. Dennis O'Brien of Fort Campbell, Ky.


Home S&L Employee

Carl W. Steidle, 50, an employee of the Home Federal Savings & Loan Association in Chevy Chase, died of cancer March 3 at his home in Bethesda.

Mr. Steidle was born in Pottsville, Pa. He moved to the Washington area in 1957 and went to work for the Suburban Federal Savings & Loan Association.

In the mid-1960s, he joined National Permanent Federal Savings & Loan, where he worked in the insurance department. He went to work at Home Federal about six years ago.

There are no immediate survivors.


Commerce Department Official

Arthur Hulen Stuart, 72, a retired division director with the Department of Commerce, died Feb. 27 at his home in Arlington after a heart attack.

Mr. Stuart was born in Trenton, Mo. He graduated from George Washington University. He moved to the Washington area in 1937 and joined the Treasury Department.

During World War II, he served in the Navy. He joined the Commerce Department after the war and retired in 1975.

He was a member of the Arlington Historical Society and was the coeditor of "Divided We Fought," a pictorial history of the Civil War.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Moore Stuart of Arlington.


Washington Restaurateur

Manuel Theo, 86, a retired Washington restaurateur, died of congestive heart failure March 3 at his home in Olney.

Mr. Theo was born in Halki, Greece. He moved to the United States in 1911 and settled in Detroit.

He had restaurants in Detroit, Erie, Pa., Mullen, S.C., and Danville, Va., before moving to the Washington area in 1944 and opening the Miami Grill and the Deluxe Restaurant. He sold his businesses and retired in 1966.

His marriage to Ruby Theo ended in divorce. Survivors include two children, Hippy Theo of Las Vegas and Stella Theo Johnson of Olney; seven grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.


Advertising Agency Owner

Ralph R. McCawley, 78, a retired Army Reserve lieutenant colonel who owned and operated an advertising agency in Arlington for 22 years before retiring in 1983, died of cardiac arrest March 3 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Arlington.

Col. McCawley was a native of South Dakota and a graduate of what is now South Dakota State University.

He moved here in the late 1930s, studied at the Corcoran Art School and taught at another art school and Southeastern University.

He served on active duty with the Army in Europe and Asia during World War II, and retired from the reserves in 1961.

After the war, he became promotion art director of the Washington Evening Star and then advertising and promotion manager of WRC and WRC-TV, before starting the Ralph McCawley Advertising Agency in Arlington in 1961. He closed the business about 1983.

He was a member of the National Capital Area Council of the Boy Scouts, the Washington Golf and Country Club and several Masonic groups.

He was a member of Crossman Methodist Church in Arlington.

Survivors include his wife, Lillie W. (Tippie) McCawley of Arlington.


Lifelong Area Resident

Helen Pumphrey Denit, 90, a lifelong area resident who was active in patriotic and charitable organizations, died of cardiopulmonary arrest March 3 at the Carriage Hill nursing home in Bethesda. She had lived in Carriage Hill the past 10 years.

She had served as president of the James Monroe and Dolley Madison chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution and regent of its Mary Washington chapter.

She also was a member of the DAR's state officers club. She was a past president of the Ridgely Brown chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Mrs. Denit was a native of Rockville and attended Johns Hopkins University.

She had been a member of the Chevy Chase United Methodist Church and the Montgomery County Historical Society. She had served on the women's board of Montgomery General Hospital.

Her husband, Louis M. Denit, died in 1957. She leaves no immediate survivors.


Former Secretary

Hope Wade Barkmeier, 90, a former secretary with the Department of Agriculture, died Feb. 21 at a nursing home in Prescott, Ariz., after a stroke. She moved from Bethesda to Prescott in 1983.

Mrs. Barkmeier was born in Clinton, Iowa. She moved to the Washington area about 1918 and went to work for Agriculture Department, where she worked through the 1920s.

She had been a member of the Montgomery County Red Cross.

Her husband, Joseph H. Barkmeier, died in 1977. Survivors include one daughter, Anne K. Lawrence of Prescott; one son, Paul J. Barkmeier of Alexandria, and one granddaughter.


Home Builder

Paul George Yeonas, 67, a retired senior vice president of marketing with the Yeonas Development Corp. who lived in the Washington area until moving to Florida in 1984, died March 5 of cancer at his home in Sarasota.

Mr. Yeonas was born in Washington and graduated from Central High School.

During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific.

After the war, he and his father and three brothers organized the Yeonas Development Corp. Over the next 30 years, the firm constructed more than 14,000 single-family homes in such subdivisions as Lake Braddock in Fairfax and Flower Valley in Silver Spring.

Mr. Yeonas retired in 1978 and the corporation was sold in 1986.

Mr. Yeonas was a member of the American Hellenic Education Progressive Association, the American Legion and the Elks.

Survivors include his wife, Theodora Yeonas of Sarasota; two sons, George Paul Yeonas of Vienna and Dean Paul Yeonas of Arlington; three brothers, Gus Yeonas of Arlington, Jimmie Yeonas of Vienna and Steve Yeonas of Arlington, and two grandchildren.


Retired Research Chemist

George W. Batzis, 66, an area resident since June 1987 who was a retired Navy Department research chemist and test engineer, died of a heart ailment March 2 at Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Fairfax.

Mr. Batzis was graduate of St. Anselm's College in his native Manchester, N.H., and received a master's degree in chemistry from Xavier University in Cincinnati.

He served with the Army in Europe during World War II, retiring from the reserves with the rank of major in 1982.

He spent 30 years with the Navy before retiring in 1984. He moved here from California.

Survivors include three sisters, Jennie B. Exaros of Bethlehem, Pa., Katherine B. Vlannes of Fairfax, and Evangeline B. Pavlides of College Park.


Men's Clothing Salesman

Owen W. (Buddy) Long, 50, who had been a salesman at Bonds men's clothing store at Prince Georges Plaza for the past five years, died March 3 at the Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly after a heart attack. He lived in Bowie.

He was a salesman with the Edward's shoe store chain for about 14 years, before owning and operating his own restaurant, the old Hillside Inn in Bowie, from 1969 to 1973.

For the next 10 years, before joining Bonds, he had worked for the Galenkamp's shoe chain.

Mr. Long was born in Washington and grew up there and in Takoma Park. He was a member of the Moose Lodge in Takoma Park.

Survivors include his wife, the former Mary Lou Knott, and two daughters, Patricia and Denise Long, all of Bowie; two sons, Patrick and Michael, both of Germantown; his mother, Susan S. Long of Takoma Park; a brother, Michael, of Bowie; three sisters, Julia Alderton of Hyattsville, Kathleen Tear of Clacton, England, and Susan Fitzgerald of Takoma Park, and two grandchildren.


Retired D.C. Firefighter

Wooster N. Baliles, 85, a D.C. firefighter for 31 years before retiring in 1956, who had been a member of the old Bethany Baptist Church in Washington, died March 5 at Washington Adventist Hospital. He had pneumonia.

Mr. Baliles, a Silver Spring resident, moved to the Washington area in the mid-1920s. He was a native of Stuart, Va.

Survivors include his wife, Zula M., of Silver Spring; four sons, R. Kenneth, of San Antonio, Jack C., of Denver, and James H. and George C., both of Silver Spring; two brothers, John and Moir, both of Stuart; three sisters, Lillie Hall, Beaulah Baliles, and Minnie Ross, all of Martinsville, Va.; 11 grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren.