I.L. (Si) Kenen, 83, the founder and former executive director of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, the nation's principal pro-Israel lobbying organization, died of a heart attack March 23 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Kenen, who had worked for Jewish political organizations since 1943, founded the AIPAC in 1954, and built it into what many consider to be the most effective lobbying organization on Capitol Hill.

Israel regularly leads all other nations in the amount of military and economic aid granted by the United States, and the effectiveness of AIPAC is said to be among the primary reasons.

In 1974, the year after the Yom Kippur War with Egypt and Syria and the year of Mr. Kenen's retirement, U.S. aid to Israel topped $1 billion for the first time.

A man of wide acquaintance with Republicans and Democrats in Congress, Mr. Kenen often was described as looking like a central casting version of a diplomat. He dressed impeccably and spoke softly, and habitually downplayed his own role.

"We try to keep Israel out of partisan politics, and we go to both {U.S. political parties'} conventions," he once said.

Born in St. Stephens, New Brunswick, Mr. Kenan was an actor in Toronto as a young man, then a newspaper writer in Cleveland. While there he was one of the founders of Local One of the American Newspaper Guild.

In 1943 he moved to New York, where he was director of the American Emergency Committee on Zionist Affairs. He was part of the first Israeli delegation to the United Nations, and in 1951 moved to Washington to lobby Congress for aid to Israel.

In that year Mr. Kenen established the American Zionist Committee, which three years later became the American Israel Public Affairs Committee. AIPAC's immediate goal was $150 million in U.S. aid for the new state of Israel, but the move was opposed by the State Department on the grounds that it would offend Arab states in the Middle East.

Congress eventually granted $15 million in aid to Israel that year.

Mr. Kenen also was founder of the Near East Report, a newsletter published independently of AIPAC. He remained a contributing editor to the newsletter until his death.

His first wife, Beatrice Bain Kenen, died in 1969 after 42 years of marriage. His second wife, Bernice Taube Kenen, died in 1976.

Survivors include one son by his first marriage, Peter Bain Kenen of Princeton, N.J.


Boxing Manager

Jim Jacobs, 58, comanager of heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson, died of pneumonia March 23 at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City.

Bill Cayton, Tyson's other manager and Mr. Jacobs' associate since 1960, said Mr. Jacobs had suffered from chronic lymphocytic leukemia for nine years.

Mr. Jacobs was considered one of the greatest handball players in history.

"There is no athlete in the world who dominates his sport with the supremacy that Jimmy Jacobs of Los Angeles and New York enjoys in four-wall handball," Robert H. Boyle wrote in Sports Ilustrated on March 7, 1966.

With Cayton, Mr. Jacobs owned films and tapes of more than 17,000 fights dating back to the 1890s.

Mr. Jacobs was a close friend of the late Cus D'Amato, the boxing teacher who discovered Tyson and became the boxer's legal guardian. Tyson's two-round knockout of Tony Tubbs on Monday in Tokyo was the first of his fights that Mr. Jacobs had missed.

Mr. Jacobs also once managed Wilfred Benitez, a former boxing champion, and was manager, with Cayton, of Edwin Rosario, a former lightweight champion.

Mr. Jacobs is survived by his wife, Lorraine, and one sister, Dorothy.


VOA Broadcaster

Leslie Logan, 78, a retired radio newscaster and editor with the Voice of America who was active with Arlington civic groups, died March 21 at a hospital in Winston-Salem, N.C., of complications after heart surgery.

Dr. Logan, who moved from the Washington area to Winston-Salem in 1986, was born in Czechoslovakia.

He graduated from the University of Paris and received a doctor of laws degree from Comenius University in Bratislava, Czechoslovakia. He also received a degree in hotel management and French cuisine from the Ecole Pratique d'Industrie Hoteliere de Nice.

Dr. Logan came to the United States in 1941 and settled in New York City, where he went to work for what became the VOA. He moved to Washington in 1954 when the agency relocated here. He retired in 1976.

He was the founding president of Arlingtonians for the Preservation of the Potomac Palisades and he was a member of the Committee of 100 for the Federal City and the National Press Club.

In 1967, Dr. Logan and his wife, Muriel, received The Washington Evening Star Cup for Citizenship. In 1966 he was named Virginia state cooking champion in the Sixth Annual Men's National Cooking Championship for his recipe for "Potato Chip Salad."

He received the Sertoma International American Way Award in 1977.

In addition to his wife, of Winston-Salem, survivors include two sons, David Logan of Winston-Salem and Wayne Logan of Arlington; one brother, Joseph Logan of New York City, and two grandchildren.


Navy Nurse

A. Gertrude Klesius, 94, a retired Navy commander who served 26 years in the Navy Nurse Corps, died March 21 at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Washington after a heart attack.

Cmdr. Klesius was born in Altoona, Pa. She graduated from the University of Pennsylvania nursing school.

She joined the Navy Nurse Corps in 1922. She served in Navy hospitals on the East and West coasts, in Honolulu, aboard the hospital ship Mercy and in Cuba. During World War II she served at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Panama.

She retired in 1948 as deputy to the director of the Navy Nurse Corps in the Navy's Bureau of Medicine and Surgery in Washington.

Since retirement Cmdr. Klesius had lived in Alexandria, where she was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church.

Survivors include one brother, Charles A. Klesius of Alexandria, and two sisters, Teresa Klesius of Detroit and Christine Wallace of Philadelphia.