Barnard Talbott Welsh, 76, a retired Rockville lawyer and former law school professor who had been a noted area amateur tennis player, died June 9 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. He had cancer.

Mr. Welsh had practiced for 47 years, specializing in criminal and domestic relations cases, before retiring in 1987. He retired from the firm of Welsh & Tennery, which he had cofounded in 1963. Before that, he had been a partner in the family firm in Rockville.

He taught courses in evidence and family and criminal law at American University's law school for 30 years before retiring in 1976. Over the years, he also had taught at the Catholic University law school and lectured to groups of law enforcement officers and jail inmates.

From 1958 to 1975, he contributed a column to the Montgomery Sentinel newspaper.

Mr. Welsh was born in Grand Junction, Colo., and moved here in 1919. He was a 1930 graduate of Western High School in Washington and a 1935 graduate of Duke University. He received a law degree from the University of Maryland and a master's degree in law from George Washington University.

He had been a nationally ranked singles and doubles tennis player in the 1930s and 1940s. He had won the Maryland state singles championship and two national public parks singles championships. He also won at least six D.C. men's doubles championships between 1931 and 1956, and the singles championship at least 15 times. He also had won the Middle Atlantic men's singles and doubles crowns at least a dozen times each.

He also golfed. He was a cofounder of the Edgemoor Club in Bethesda and a charter member of the River Road Golf and Country Club in Poolesville, and he belonged to the Burning Tree club.

Mr. Welsh was a member of Rockville United Methodist Church and Peerless Rockville, a preservation organization, and was a life member of the Montgomery Historical Society. He also was a member of several bar groups. He was a founder of the annual Rockville classic car show and a member of the Classic Car Club of America and the Packard Automobile Club of America.

Survivors include his wife, the former Helen Tyler, of Rockville; two daughters, Helen Welsh Quay of Gaithersburg and Margaret Welsh Frailey of Rockville, and two grandchildren.


VOA Announcer, Opera Singer

Barbara Darlys, 87, a retired announcer on the Lithuanian service of the Voice of America and a former opera singer, died of cancer June 12 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Darlys, a resident of Chevy Chase, was born in Scotland and reared in Chicago. In 1934, she won a contract with the Chicago Opera Co.

In 1935, she went to Lithuania to sing with the State Opera and the following year became a permanent member of the company, appearing in leading roles as a dramatic soprano. She also appeared in Belgium, Sweden, Poland and Czechoslovakia.

With the outbreak of World War II in 1939, Mrs. Darlys returned to this country and pursued her singing career in New York. She also was active in various Lithuanian social and cultural organizations, including the United Lithuanian Relief Fund of America.

In 1951, she joined the VOA in New York and moved to Washington when it was transferred here in 1954. She retired in 1977.

Mrs. Darlys was a past president of the Lithuanian American Society of Washington.

Her marriage to Dr. Drangelis ended in divorce. She used the name by which she was known professionally.

Survivors include one sister, Aldona Yovaish of Danville, Ill.


Army Colonel

James H. Fette, 59, a retired Army Signal Corps colonel and veteran of two wars who also had worked for the Computer Sciences Corp., died of renal failure June 11 at Howard County General Hospital in Columbia. He lived in Columbia.

After graduating from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., in 1950, Col. Fette fought in Korea. He also served in Vietnam in 1967 and 1968. He received a master's degree in military science. His last Army assignment before retiring from active duty in 1973 was as a staff officer at Fort Sam Houston, Tex.

He then spent 13 years with the Computer Sciences Corp. before retiring in 1986 as Washington operations director. Col. Fette, a native of Ohio, had maintained a home in the Washington area since 1968.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret A., of Columbia; a son, James R., of Columbus, Ohio; a daughter, Joyce F. Wurth of Chandler, Ariz.; a sister, Bette Custin of Wilmington, Del., and four grandchildren.


Moving Company Chief

Paris L. Anderson, 78, who owned and operated the old P.L. Anderson moving company in Washington for 55 years before retiring in 1979, died June 7 in Washington at the Wisconsin Avenue Nursing Home, where he had lived the past year. He had cancer.

Mr. Anderson, a native of Anne Arundel County, moved to Washington and founded his moving business in 1926. He had been a trustee of the Greater Mount Pisgah Baptist Church in Washington.

His wife, Rose Clark Anderson, died in 1979.

Survivors include two sons, Rowland E., of Bradbury Heights, Md., and Kenneth P., of Camp Springs; four daughters, Vernice A. Greene of Washington, Isabel M. Engelmann of West Germany, Parisa R. Butler of Tampa, Fla., and Merle R. Watkins of Atlanta; six brothers, Garfield, of Harwood, Md., Fred and Edgar, both of Washington, and Stephen, Hillary and George, all of Annapolis; four sisters, Isabel Moody of Baltimore, Minnie Watson of Pennsylvania, and Ozella Blair and Blanche Coleman, both of Washington; 19 grandchildren, and 14 great-grandchildren.


Alexandria Fire Marshal

John Louis Mellon, 72, who spent 29 years with the Alexandria Fire Department before retiring in 1975 as fire marshal, died June 11 at Alexandria Hospital after a stroke. He lived in Alexandria.

Mr. Mellon was a native of Alexandria and served with the Army in the Southwest Pacific during World War II.

He was a member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife, Grace D., two daughters, Carolyn T. Shaffer and Dorothy T. Oliver, and a sister, Margaret M. Mellon, all of Alexandria; four grandchildren, and a great-grandchild.


Consultant and Author

Alice G. Sargent, 49, an international management consultant and author, died of cancer June 5 at a hospital in Indio, Calif. She lived in Washington and La Jolla, Calif.

Dr. Sargent wrote "The Androgynous Manager," a book in which she argued that good leaders have a balanced style of management that is neither too masculine nor too feminine. She also was the author and editor of "Beyond Sex Roles," a book about men and women in the work force.

She moved to Washington in 1976 to study women in education for what then was the U.S. Office of Education in the Department of Health, Education and Welfare. She later headed the graduate program in business administration at Trinity College in Washington. She held that post for two years.

For about the last 10 years, Dr. Sargent was an independent consultant to government agencies and private corporations overseas.

A native of Cincinnati, Dr. Sargent graduated from Oberlin College and received a master's degree in English literature from Brandeis University. She received a doctorate in education from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, where she later served as dean of students.

She was a former adjunct faculty member at the University of California at San Diego.

Her husband, G. Dann Sargent, died in 1976.

Survivors include one daughter, Elizabeth Sargent of Washington; her mother, Adele L. Goldstein of Cincinnati, and one brother, Robert Goldstein of Santa Monica, Calif.


Computer Sales Director

Andrew R. Warner, 45, director of sales and marketing for the Masstor Systems Corp., a computer software company in Landover, died of a heart attack June 11 at National Hospital for Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation in Arlington.

Mr. Warner, a resident of Annandale, was born in Charlotte, N.C. He attended Fisk University in Nashville and graduated from Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte.

In the late 1960s, Mr. Warner moved to the Washington area and began a career in computers. He worked for IBM for about 12 years and later for Crown Data Corp. before joining Masstor in 1983.

He was a volunteer with the American Heart Association.

His marriage to Joyce Warner ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, June Dale Warner of Annandale; two children by his first marriage, Andrew R. Warner Jr. and Donnadrez Allen, both of Charlotte; his mother, Anne C. Warner, also of Charlotte, and one grandchild.


Army Secretary

Carrie B. West-Pridgen, 87, a retired secretary in the Office of the Army Quartermaster General at Fort Belvoir, died of heart and respiratory ailments June 9 at the Grosvenor Health Care Center.

Mrs. West-Pridgen, who lived in Washington, was born in Wharton, Tex., and graduated from Blinn College. She was a schoolteacher in Houston before moving to the Washington area in 1941.

She worked 27 years for the Department of the Army before she retired in 1968. She then worked in a Christian Science reading room in Washington until 1984.

She was a member of the First Church of Christ Scientist in Washington.

Her first husband, Elmer West, died in the mid-1930s.

Survivors include her husband, Edde G. Pridgen of Washington.