COLUMBUS, OHIO -- Mildred Gillars, 87, the aspiring actress from Ohio who became the Nazi propaganda broadcaster known as Axis Sally during World War II, died here June 25. The cause of death was not reported.

Miss Gillars was convicted of treason in 1949 for making Nazi radio broadcasts and served 12 years of a 10- to 30-year prison sentence.

During the war, her broadcasts were beamed at American forces in North Africa and Italy. She would begin her shows by saying: "Hello, gang. Throw down those little old guns and toddle off home. There's no getting the Germans down."

After the war, America military officers found her living in the cellars of bombed buildings in Berlin and she was sent to the United States to stand trial.

During her trial, Miss Gillars testified she had fallen in love with an officer in the German foreign service and he persuaded her to make the broadcasts. In tears, she swore she loved her country and would never intentionally betray it.

She served her sentence at a federal facility in Alderson, W.Va.

When she was released in 1961, she moved to Columbus and taught music at a kindergarten run by the Sisters of the Poor Child Jesus.

Miss Gillars was born in Portland, Maine, and graduated from high school in Conneaut, Ohio.

She attended Ohio Wesleyan University, where school officials later recalled she had a flair for drama and described her as "completely undisciplined and noticeably eccentric."

Miss Gillars left without a degree -- in 1973, she went back to Ohio Wesleyan and got a bachelor's degree in speech -- and went to Greenwich Village in New York to pursue an acting career.

In 1933 she traveled to North Africa and, for a time, was employed by a French fashion dealer in Algiers. It was in that period that she fell in love with the German foreign service officer. She was in Berlin when the war started and in 1940 she took a job with German radio.

In the spring of 1941, she became a big name on German radio, working on a program called "The Club of Notions," which for years had been an entertainment feature on German radio and now was given a propaganda function.

By 1943 Miss Gillars was the highest paid performer in German foreign broadcasting, earning more than 3,000 marks a month. She also worked with Margaret Joyce, "Lord Haw-Haw's" wife in a program called "Seven at the Mike."

GIs in Europe gave her the nickname "Axis Sally" after listening to her syrupy broadcasts urging them to surrender to the Nazis. She played popular American records and the German hit, "Lili Marlene," which became enormously popular with allied troops, and she teased her listeners: "I just wonder if your girl isn't sort of running around with 4Fs".

Miss Gillars leaves no immedaite survivors.


Health Attorney

H. Robert Halper, 56, a Washington lawyer who was an expert in the field of antitrust law as it relates to the health care industry, died of a cerebral hemorrhage June 30 at the South Miami Hospital in Coral Gables, Fla.

Mr. Halper was a resident of Washington and a partner in the law firm of O'Connor & Hannan. He was vacationing when he was stricken.

Since 1971, he had been general counsel of the American Clinical Laboratory Association. He was a coauthor of two reference works, "Laboratory Regulation Manual" and "Antitrust Guide for Health Care Coalitions."

He was a fellow of the American Bar Foundation, a member of the American Bar Association's antitrust section and the first chairman of its health care committee. He also was a member of the National Health Lawyers Association and the American Academy of Hospital Attorneys.

Mr. Halper was a member of the health law and antitrust sections of the D.C. Bar Association and a director of the National Kidney Foundation for the National Capital Area. He was the law notes editor of Business & Health, a magazine published by the Washington Business Group on Health.

A native of Chicago, Mr. Halper graduated from Northwestern University and also received his law degree there. He served in the Army in France in the early 1950s.

About 1960 he moved to Washington and went to work in the antitrust division of the Justice Department. He remained there until joining O'Connor & Hannan in 1966.

Mr. Halper was a member of the Adas Israel Congregation.

Survivors include his wife, Lakshmi Halper, and two daughters, Shela and Nina Halper, all of Chevy Chase; and two sisters, Lenore Aronson of Chestnut Hill, Mass., and Helene Rosenberg of Evanston, Ill.


Indian Affairs Specialist

Dwaine M. LeBeau, 54, head of the western division of the Administration for Native Americans at the Department of Health and Human Services, died July 1 at Mount Vernon Hospital after a stroke.

Mr. LeBeau had worked for the Administration for Native Americans since 1978. He had previously worked in Albuquerque for the All-Indian Pueblo Council and as a small business consultant.

A resident of Alexandria, he was born in Dewey, S.D. He served in the Navy during the Korean War. He graduated from South Dakota State College at Aberdeen.

From 1963 to 1967 he was in Rosebud, S.D., working for the Bureau of Indian Affairs and later in the community action program of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe. He was in Washington in 1968 and 1969 as a program analyst with the Native American section of the Office of Economic Opportunity, and in 1970 went to Albuquerque.

His marriage to Rita A. LeBeau ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Shirley M. LeBeau of Alexandria; three sons by his first marriage, Monte LeBeau of Lower Bruhle, S.D., Jay A. LeBeau of Denver and Clint J. LeBeau of Federicksburg, Va.; two daughters by his first marriage, Vanessa K. Moore of Fredericksburg and Tracey A. LeBeau of Denver, and four grandchildren.


U-Va. Senior

Kelly Ann O'Hara, 21, a 1985 graduate of Langley High School in McLean and a senior at the University of Virginia who was majoring in international relations, was killed June 30 in an automobile accident on Rte. 29 about 17 miles north of Charlottesville.

Virginia state officials said the car Miss O'Hara was driving left the highway and struck a tree.

Born in Washington, Miss O'Hara lived in Mattawan and Holmdel, N.J., from 1969 to 1980. She then returned to this area and lived in McLean.

At Langley she was active in student government and the Young Life program. She also was a member of the Virginia state champion cross-country track team in 1984 and 1985. At Virginia she was a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority. She spent the fall semester of 1987 in Dublin with the Experiment in International Living.

Miss O'Hara was a member of St. Luke's Catholic Church in McLean and had been a member of the Youth Encounter program of the Arlington Diocese of the Catholic Church.

Survivors include her parents, Thomas G. and Patricia A. O'Hara of McLean; a brother, Kevin O'Hara, and two sisters, Courtney and Erin O'Hara, all of McLean; and two grandparents, Martin and Frances McHugh of Potomac.


Actor and AIDS Educator

Mark D. Bell, 35, a participant in various AIDS information programs and a former actor and director with the Folger Library's Shakespeare in the Schools program, died July 1 at his home in Washington. He had AIDS.

Mr. Bell was born in Des Moines and attended Drake University.

A resident of Washington since 1978, he worked for the Shakespeare in the Schools program until the early 1980s. He also directed productions at the National Theater for the Deaf.

After discovering his illness in the early 1980s, he took part in AIDS outreach efforts with the Whitman-Walker Clinic. He also spoke to a number of university groups and appeared on a number of panels, including one sponsored by the National Institutes of Health. He made AIDS educational videos for home health agencies.

Survivors include his longtime companion, Rick Buggs of Washington; his mother, Jeanne Stemme of Merriam, Kan.; and two brothers, Craig and Randy Bell, both of Des Moines.


Montgomery Councilwoman

Dorothy L. Scott Himstead, 92, a member of the first Montgomery County Council and a former president of the Montgomery County League of Women Voters, died of pneumonia June 25 at Cape Regency Nursing Home in Centerville, Mass.

Mrs. Himstead lived in Chevy Chase from 1936 to 1957. During the 1940s she was active on the County Charter Committee that helped establish the county council form of government. In 1948 she was elected to the first County Council on a nonpartisan slate representing Bethesda and Chevy Chase.

She was born in Baltimore and graduated from Northwestern University, where she was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. Before moving to the Washington area, Mrs. Himstead taught French at Syracuse University and at Cornell College in Iowa.

In 1957 she moved to Connecticut, where she was editor of the Madison edition of the Shore Line Times until she retired in 1971. She moved to Centerville in 1987.

Her husband, Ralph E. Himstead, former general secretary of the American Association of University Professors, died in 1955.

Survivors include one son, Scott Himstead of Barnstable, Mass., and three grandchildren.


Food Writer

Vicki Ostrolenk, 47, a former food writer for The Washington Star and other publications, died of cancer June 30 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Born Judith Lee Cohen in Alexandria, Mrs. Ostrolenk attended George Washington High School and the University of Maryland. She lived in France for three years with her first husband, Dr. Arnold Ostrolenk, and traveled widely in Europe.

After her return to the United States, Mrs. Ostrolenk worked as a reporter for the Alexandria Gazette and The Washington Post. She developed a specialty in food and restaurant criticism and worked as food writer at the Washington Star from 1975 until the newspaper closed in 1981.

Afterward, she contributed articles to a number of publications, working for a time at States News Service and in the Washington bureau of The St. Louis Globe-Democrat. At the time of her death, she was involved in a film-making project.

Survivors include her husband, Dr. Hugo Dieter Junghenn of Alexandria; her mother, Bess Miller Cohen, also of Alexandria; and one sister, June Marks of Potomac.


GSA Branch Chief

Jay Elwyn Rice, 80, retired chief of the equipment control branch of the automated data processing procurement division of the General Services Administration, died of emphysema June 30 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Rice was born in Woodhaven, N.Y. He attended Columbia University and City College of New York and earned a law degree at Brooklyn Law School. During the 1930s he served one term as a Republican member of the New York State Assembly.

He served in the Army Air Forces during World War II, then worked as a Veterans Administration educational specialist in Pittsburgh and as a civilian employe of the Air Force in New York and New Jersey.

In 1961 Mr. Rice moved to the Washington area. He worked for the Small Business Administration and as an Air Force research and development specialist before joining GSA in the late 1960s. He retired in 1976.

Survivors include his wife, Alda N. Rice of Silver Spring; one daughter, Susan Yarger of Arlington, Tex.; one sister, Gladys Rice of Sun City, Ariz.; and two grandsons.


C&P Supervisor

John Hayes Knowles, 76, a retired commercial supervisor with the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co., died June 28 at Suburban Hospital after a stroke.

Mr. Knowles, who lived in Chevy Chase, was born in Philadelphia. He attended the University of Pennsylvania.

He moved to the Washington area in 1933, and joined the staff at the telephone company in 1935 as a cable splicer and installer. Later he was a marketing representative. He retired as a commercial supervisor in 1974.

He was a member of the Alexander Graham Bell chapter of the Telephone Pioneers of America and the Fossils.

Mr. Knowles was a collector of antique cars and a member of the Antique Auto Club of America and the Model A Ford Club. He won several awards for his antique autos.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, the former Louise C. Hoehling, of Chevy Chase; two children, Jeanne Knowles Balke of Lafayette, La., and Daniel Schofield Knowles of Germantown, Md.; and four grandchildren.


Children's Center Fund Raiser

Victoria V. Plumley, 76, solicitations coordinator for the National Children's Center, died of heart ailments June 29 at Suburban Hospital.

Mrs. Plumley, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Cleveland. She moved to the Washington area in 1932.

She had been a secretary with the D.C. Department of Vocational Rehabilitation and the Fairfax County public school system, and helped in the management of a family plumbing business, "Plumley the Plumber."

Since the late 1960s, Mrs. Plumley had been solicitations coordinator for the National Children's Center. In addition she helped develop the Value Village Salvage program, a fund-raising activity for retarded children.

Her marriage to A.C. Plumley ended in divorce.

Survivors include two sons, A.R. Plumley of Bethesda and Thomas E. Plumley of Washington; two sisters, Ethel Biro of Cleveland and Mary Racz of Killeen, Tex.; two grandchildren and one great-grandson.


D.C. Teacher

Sarah Branch Adams Ward, 84, a former physics and chemistry teacher in the D.C. public schools, died of respiratory failure June 30 at Fernwood Nursing and Retirement Home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Ward, who lived in Washington, was born in Atlanta. She attended Wesleyan College in Macon, Ga., and did graduate study in physics and chemistry at Emory University.

She moved to the Washington area as a young woman after teaching briefly in Raleigh, N.C.

From the early 1940s until she retired in 1964, Mrs. Ward taught at Coolidge and Wilson high schools in Washington. She was a member of the PEO Sisterhood and Wesleyan United Methodist Church in Washington.

Her marriage to Willis Adams ended in divorce.

Her second husband, Francis C. Ward, died in 1978, and a daughter by her first marriage, Sue Adams Nelson, died last September.

Survivors include six grandchildren.


USIA Librarian

Jane Fairweather, 74, a retired U. S. Information Agency librarian, died of cardiac arrest June 28 at the Lynn House Christian Science Sanitorium in Alexandria.

Miss Fairweather, who lived in Washington, was born in Honolulu. She graduated from the University of Hawaii and received a master's degree in library science at Columbia University. From 1943 to 1950, she was an Army librarian in Hawaii, the Philippines, Okinawa and Japan.

She then became a USIA librarian and served in India, Iraq and Italy. She was assigned to Washington in 1965 as USIA regional librarian for Latin American countries. She retired in 1975.

She was a member of the First Church of Christ Scientist in Washington.

Survivors include one sister, Gail Fairweather of Los Angeles.