Hope E. Hopps, 62, a Food and Drug Administration scientist who retired in 1981 as assistant to the director of the FDA's Bureau of Biologics, died of cancer Nov. 7 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mrs. Hopps was a specialist in infectious diseases, immunology, cell biology and vaccine development and had received two U.S. patents for discoveries related to vaccine development. She was author or coauthor of 89 articles in scientific journals and medical books.

In 1972 she was national president of Graduate Women in Science. She was president of the Washington chapter in 1967-68.

A resident of Silver Spring, Mrs. Hopps was born in West Warwick, R.I. She graduated from the University of Rhode Island and received a master's degree in microbiology from the University of Maryland in 1950.

She worked as a bacteriologist at Garfield Memorial Hospital in Washington, then did research at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research.

In 1956 she began working at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, then in 1960 transferred to the Division of Biologics Standards at NIH. That division became the Bureau of Biologics of the FDA in 1972, and at that time Mrs. Hopps became assistant to the director, a position she held until retiring.

In 1982, Mrs. Hopps was asked to return to work as acting associate director for program development and operations of the FDA's new Center for Drugs and Biologics. She retired again in 1983 but continued to work as a consultant to the center.

Survivors include her husband, George Hopps of Silver Spring; a brother, Robert J. Byrne of Coventry, R.I., and a sister, Helen G. Molony of Raleigh, N.C.


HHS Contracting Officer

Thomas Bernard Letaw Sr., 53, a retired contracting officer and procurement policy specialist with the Department of Health and Human Services, died of cancer Oct. 25 at a hospital in Greenville, N.C.

Mr. Letaw, who moved from this area to Washingon, N.C., in 1987, was born in Miami and attended the University of Florida.

He served in the Air Force from 1952 to 1960 in Okinawa and Iceland. During the early 1960s, he worked for the Navy Department in Sacramento, Calif., and joined his father in a real estate venture in Miami.

Mr. Letaw joined the U.S. Customs Service in Miami in 1966 and later was a procurement officer with Army Department. He moved to the Washington area in 1969 and joined the old Department of Health, Education and Welfare, which became HHS.

He had assignments in the Office of the Secretary of HHS, the National Institutes of Health and the Food and Drug Administration before retiring in 1986.

His marriages to the former Susan Rizzo and to Nina Letaw ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Barbara Cowan Letaw of Washington, N.C.; three children by his first marriage, Thomas B. Letaw Jr. of Upper Marlboro, Sarah E. Letaw of Monterey, Calif., and Ninda C. Letaw of Annapolis; a sister, Rosellen L. Murphy of Miami; two brothers, Harry Letaw Jr. of Severna Park, Md., and Richard C. Letaw of Vienna, and two grandchildren.



Patricia Smith Thompson, 61, a former Connecticut teacher and Washington area resident, died Nov. 4 at a hospital in Myrtle Beach, S.C., after a heart attack.

Mrs. Thompson, who moved from Falls Church to Myrtle Beach in 1984, was born in Payette, Idaho. She graduated from Oregon State University and taught briefly in the public schools of New Haven, Conn. She moved to the Washington area in 1977.

Survivors include her husband, Lawrence Thompson of Myrtle Beach; four daughters, Karen Thompson Fulkerson of Burke, Susan Marie Thompson of Decatur, Ga., Louise Thompson Grimes of Macon, Ga., and Alice Ann Thompson of Conway, S.C.; her mother, Marie C. Smith of Myrtle Beach, and two grandchildren.


Apartment Complex Owner

Eldridge Brown, 94, who had owned and managed the Bristol Apartments at 1833 S St. NW, died of complications from stomach ulcers and circulatory ailments Nov. 5 at the home of a son in Walpole, N.H.

Mr. Brown was a former chauffeur who during the 1920s and 1930s worked for Maud Miller, the owner of a substantial amount of Washington real estate. When she died she left the 25-unit Bristol Apartments to Mr. Brown, who then made his living by managing the building.

A native of Aiken, S.C., Mr. Brown moved to Washington as a young man and worked as a garage mechanic before becoming a chauffeur.

He could not read or write when he arrived here, but he attended night school, and in 1961 graduated from Cardozo High School.

In the early 1960s, Mr. Brown participated in civil rights protests and demonstrations here.

He was a member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Washington and was a Mason.

Mr. Brown had lived in Washington until April, when he moved to Walpole.

His marriage to the former Helen Parham ended in divorce.

Survivors include two sons, Roger Parham-Brown of Walpole and Julian Parham Brown of Newton, Mass., and five grandchildren.


Government Secretary

Martha Bass Sinsky Glukenhous, 75, a retired federal government secretary who earlier had operated a men's store in downtown Washington with her husband, died of heart ailments Nov. 9 at Montgomery General Hospital.

Mrs. Glukenhous, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Washington and graduated from Eastern High School.

From about 1945 to 1955 she and her first husband, Herbert B. Sinsky, operated Ben's, a men's jewelry, leather goods and clothing store. He died in 1977.

From 1955 until she retired in 1974, Mrs. Glukenhous was a secretary at the Labor Department, Walter Reed Army Medical Center and the National Institutes of Health.

She was a member of the Women's Argo chapter of B'nai B'rith, Hadassah, the Women's Labor Zionist Organization of America, and Allah Vieber, a women's Masonic organization.

Survivors include her husband, William Glukenhous of Silver Spring, two children from her first marriage, Ilene Solomon of Bethesda and Philip Arthur Sinsky of Chevy Chase, and two grandchildren.


Navy Volunteer

Elizabeth C. Frieburghouse, 87, a rear admiral's widow who had done volunteer work for the Navy League and the Navy Relief Society, died of cancer Nov. 10 at Carl Vinson Hall in McLean.

Mrs. Frieburghouse was born in Henderson, Ky., and graduated from the University of Kentucky. She accompanied her husband, Rear Adm. Leonard F. Freiburghouse, to naval bases around the world while he was on active duty. He died in 1983 in Norfolk.

Mrs. Frieburghouse had lived in this area since 1984. She previously had lived here in 1935 and 1936 and from 1940 to 1945.

Survivors include two daughters, Elizabeth F. Deck of Springfield and Joan F. McCutcheon of Omaha; six grandchildren and a great-grandchild.