Robert LeRoy Knudsen, 61, a retired photographer with the White House staff, where he served for 28 years, died Jan. 27 at the Bethesda Naval Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Annandale. Mr. Knudsen had provided photographic coverage of every president from Harry Truman to Richard M. Nixon, and his photographs chronicled most of the major events at the White House for nearly three decades. He photographed President Truman's election in 1948 and the election of President Eisenhower in 1952. His pictures included Eisenhower's meeting with Nikita Krushchev in 1959, the first steps of John F. Kennedy Jr., and President Kennedy's autopsy. Mr. Knudsen photographed the weddings of Linda and Luci Johnson and Tricia Nixon's White House wedding. He accompanied President Nixon on his historic trips to China and the Soviet Union in 1972, and photographed Nixon's farewell in 1974. A native of Stormlake, Iowa, Mr. Knudsen joined the Navy in 1945, and graduated first in his class in 1946 from the Naval Photographic School in Pensacola, Fla. Later that year he was transferred to Washington and assigned to the Office of the Secretary of the Navy. He was detailed to the White House to provide photographs of President Truman's activities. Mr. Knudsen remained in that assignment through the administrations of Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon. He retired from the Navy in 1965, but remained at the White House as a member of the official staff until 1974. Since then he had operated his own firm, Robert Knudsen Photographers Inc. Mr. Knudsen's photographs had appeared in magazines such as Life, Look, The Saturday Evening Post, Ladies Home Journal and The National Geographic. His scenes of Washington became the 1969 beautification stamps issued by the U.S. Postal Service. He had been commander of the Washington area flotilla of the Coast Guard Auxiliary and was chief of the photographic section of the organization's public affairs department. He was a member of the National Evangelical Free Church in Annandale. Survivors include his wife, the former Gloria Firoamonti of Annandale; two daughters, Theresa Mawson of Herndon and Yvonne Becker of Manassas; two sons, Robert Knudsen of Fairfax Station and William Knudsen of Manassas; two sisters, Geraldine West and Donna Johnson, both of Omaha, and four grandchildren. FRANK PALIK FCC Official Frank Palik, 76, a retired bureau chief with the Federal Communications Commission, died Jan. 22 of cardiopulmonary failure at the Kensington Gardens Nursing Home. He lived in Kensington. Mr. Palik came to the Washington area in 1946 when he joined the FCC. He wrote regulations for satellite, telephone, telegraph and air to ground communications. He was Facilities Bureau Chief from the mid 1960s until he retired in 1975. A graduate of the University of Iowa, his native state, Mr. Palik served in the Army Corps of Engineers in the Southwest Pacific during World War II. He was a horticulturist who raised orchids in his greenhouse, a ham radio operator, a bowler, a bridge player, a rock collector and an amatuer jewelry designer. He also was an inventor who held several patents. Mr. Palik was a member of the National Capital Area Orchid Society and the Warner Memorial Presbyterian Church in Kensington, and a past president of the Washington D.C. Gem and Lapidary Society. His first wife, Tillie Swenka Palik, died in 1943. Survivors include his wife, Persis (Pat) Palik of Kensington; a daughter and two sons from his second marriage, Helen Bodine of Rockville, Frank M. Palik of Silver Spring, and Alan John Palik of Gainesville, Va.,; a daughter from his first marriage, Marilyn Palik of Sykesville; three brothers, Dr. Emil Palik of Tulsa, George Palik of Des Moines and Robert Palik of Richmond; a sister, Yolanda Hora of West Branch, Iowa, and six grandchildren. MARION PRISCILLA SMITH DAR Member Marion Priscilla Smith, 89, a lifelong area resident who was active in fraternal and patriotic organizations, died of a stroke Jan. 20 at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital. She lived in Falls Church. Mrs. Smith was born in Fairfax County. She joined the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. in 1918 and worked as a switchboard operator during the 1920s. She operated an overnight guest home in Falls Church during the 1940s. She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star, the National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution and Falls Church Episcopal Church. Survivors include her husband of 68 years, William M. Smith of Falls Church; two daughters, Charlotte S. Needham of Falls Church and Audrey L. Herring of Elburn, Ill.; five grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren. ANGELO MICHAEL STANISCI Bureau of Engraving Clerk Angelo Michael Stanisci, 79, a retired clerk with the Treasury Department's Bureau of Engraving and Printing, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 22 at a nursing home in Clinton, Tenn. Mr. Stanisci, who moved from Washington to Norris, Tenn., in 1988, was born in Washington and graduated from Eastern High School. He worked for the Navy Department during the 1930s and served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific during World War II. He returned to the Navy Department after the war. He transferred to the Bureau of Engraving about 1947 and retired about 1977. He was a member of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church in Washington. His wife, the former Ada M. Hammond, died in 1987. He leaves no immediate survivors. MARY JOANNE DEVINE-RUST Army Physician Dr. Mary Joanne Devine-Rust, 33, an area native and Army major who was chief of the eye, ear, nose and throat section of the Medical Command at Fort Bragg, N.C., died Jan. 23 in an automobile accident on I-95 near Rocky Mount, N.C. A spokeswoman for the North Carolina Highway Patrol said Dr. Devine-Rust and her husband, Leon Rust, were killed when their car ran off the road and landed in a creek. Dr. Devine-Rust was born in Alexandria and graduated from T.C. Williams High School. She graduated from George Mason University and received a degree in medicine from the University of Virginia. She joined the Army Medical Corps in 1981 and was a flight surgeon in Honduras in 1986. She had been stationed at Fort Bragg for about a year. She was a Distinguished Graduate of the Army Aviation Medicine Basics Course. Dr. Devine-Rust had been a member of First Christian Church in Alexandria, where she played the flute. Survivors include her mother, Grace M. Devine of Alexandria. JAMES C. BILLER HUD Official James C. Biller, 80, a retired official of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, died of respiratory arrest Jan. 11 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. Mr. Biller, who lived in Falls Church, was born in Boston. He moved to this area and began working as an analyst with the Securities and Exchange Commission in 1936. During World War II, he worked for the War Production Board. After the war he worked in the office of the secretary of defense and in private real estate businesses, including property management, leasing and mortgage loans, until 1960, when he joined what then was the slum clearance and urban development division of the Housing and Home Finance Agency. He retired in 1978 as editor of Urban Renewal Notes, a publication of HUD's Urban Renewal Administration. Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Leah Bretler Biller of Falls Church. MARIAN R. MORGAN Classified Advertising Saleswoman Marian R. Morgan, 68, a retired classified advertising saleswoman with the Washington Evening Star, died of a heart attack Jan. 23 at her home in San Antonio. She also maintained a home in Alexandria. Mrs. Morgan was born in England. She moved to the United States in 1928 and settled in Nanticoke, Pa. She moved to the Washington area in 1938 and worked for Capitol Airlines and an Alexandria lawyer before joining the Star in the late 1950s. She retired about 1972. She had been a member of Fairlington Presbyterian Church in Alexandria. Survivors include her husband, Lloyd Morgan of Alexandria and San Antonio; a daughter, Kathleen Hitt of San Antonio; a sister, Gertrude Beese of Nanticoke, and two grandchildren. BETTIE GATES ROBINSON Telephone Operator Bettie Gates Robinson, 69, a former telephone operator with Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. and Arthur Andersen & Co., died Jan. 22 of cancer at the Golden Oaks Nursing Home in Laurel. She lived in Fort Washington. From 1939 to 1947, Mrs. Robinson was a C&P operator handling White House telephone calls. She was at Arthur Andersen from 1976 to 1986. Mrs. Robinson was a Washington native and graduated from Coolidge High School. Her husband, Frederick William Artoif, died in 1956. She married Danny Robinson in 1965. They were estranged shortly after they were married. Survivors include a son, Robert Artoif of Fort Washington; a daughter, Suzanne Cantone of Reggio Calabria, Italy; and two grandchildren. ORVILLE O. HOLLER Printer Orville O. Holler, 75, a retired printer and typesetter who had worked at The Washington Daily News and The Washington Star, died Jan. 21 of cardiovascular failure at Fairfax Hospital. Mr. Holler had been a resident of Fairfax since 1939, when he joined the Daily News. When the paper closed in 1972, he joined The Star. He retired in 1979. Mr. Holler was born in Washington and moved to Manassas when he was a child. He was a graduate of Osbourne High School and Bridgewater (Va.) College. He served his apprenticeship at The Manassas Journal. He was a member of Columbia Typographical Union 101 and a 50-year member of the International Typographical Union. Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Coda Kathryn Kincheloe Holler of Fairfax; a daughter, Kathryn H. Taylor, and a son, Peter H. Holler, both of Falls Church; a sister, Treva H. White of Norfolk, and a grandchild. ADOLPH T. SAMUELSON Assistant Comptroller General Adolph T. Samuelson, 82, a retired assistant comptroller general at the General Accounting Office, died of pneumonia Jan. 24 at a nursing home in Omaha. Mr. Samuelson was born in Wausa, Neb. He attended Loyola University in Chicago, Northwestern University, and he graduated from the Walton School of Commerce. He worked in Chicago for the accounting firm of Price Waterhouse & Co. during the 1930s, then served in the Navy during World War II. After the war he moved to Washington and joined the staff of the GAO as an auditor and accountant. He was named assistant comptroller general in 1972, and in that capacity was responsible for the work of three GAO divisions, manpower and welfare, resources and economic development, and general government. Mr. Samuelson was a former president of the Washington chapter and an international vice president of the National Association of Accountants. He retired in 1975 and returned to Nebraska. Survivors include his brother, Quentin Samuelson of Flossmoor, Ill. NICHOLAS THOMAS LAMPOS Electronic Warfare Specialist Nicholas Thomas Lampos, 70, a retired Army lieutenant colonel who later became a civilian electronic warfare specialist for the Department of the Army, died of lung cancer Jan. 23 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. Col. Lampos, who lived in McLean, was born in Brockton, Mass. He joined the Army in 1939, and he served in London and Germany during World War II. He retired in 1960 after having served as a radio intelligence specialist at the Pentagon. While serving in the Army he graduated from the University of Maryland. After retiring from the Army, Col. Lampos received a master's degree in business administration at Boston University, then returned to this area in 1963 and began working as a civilian employe of the Department of the Army. He retired again in 1983. Survivors include his wife, Jean K. Lampos of McLean; three daughters, Constance McMullen of New Orleans, Stephanie Lampos of McLean and Gayle Cook of Fort Myers, Fla.; two sons, Thomas and Lee Lampos, both of Annandale, and five grandchildren. ALDEN T. OLSON Construction Director Alden T. Olson, 88, a retired director of construction for John N. Campbell Inc. who had also been part operator of his family's construction business in Chicago and Arlington, died Jan. 25 of pneumonia at Arlington Hospital. Mr. Olson, who lived in Arlington, had been construction director for John N. Campbell Inc. from 1941 until he retired in 1958. He came to Arlington in the early 1930s when he and his father moved their Olson & Son Inc. construction business from Chicago. That company closed in 1941. Mr. Olson was a graduate of the Armour Institute of Technology in his native Chicago. He was a 32nd Degree Mason of the Scottish Rite and a lifelong member of the Medinah Shrine Temple in Chicago. His wife, Melba M. Olson, died in 1974. Survivors include a son, Theodore Olson, of Downers Grove, Ill. CAROLYN JONES NEWCOMB Teacher Carolyn Jones Newcomb, 87, a former teacher at the Kingsbury Center for Remedial Education in Washington, died Jan. 9 following a stroke at the Broadmead Retirement Home in Cockeysville, Md.. Mrs. Newcomb had been a physical education teacher at Kingsbury from 1953 until she retired in 1972. She was a resident of Vienna from 1948 until she moved to Broadmead in 1980. A graduate of Oberlin College in her native Ohio, Mrs. Newcomb came to the Washington area in 1930. From the mid 1940s to the early 1950s she was a group leader with the Camp Fire Girls and a volunteer member of the board of directors for its Washington chapter. Her husband, Robinson Newcomb, who was on President Harry S. Truman's Council of Economic Advisors, died in 1980. Survivors include her daughter, Sarah Robinson Newcomb of Brookline, Mass.; a sister, Leora Lohr of Largo, Fla.; eight grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. EARL ORAN DUNLAP HUD Official Earl Oran Dunlap, 81, a retired official with the Department of Housing and Urban Development, died of cancer Jan. 26 at the Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital. He lived in Arlington. Mr. Dunlap was born in Rock Hill, S.C. He graduated from the Georgia Institute of Technology, where he was a star athlete. During the early 1930s, he briefly played professional football with the Charlotte Bantoms and the Washington Pros. He moved to the Washington area in 1934 and joined the Federal Housing Administration. During World War II, he served in the Army and was promoted to the rank of captain. He returned to the FHA after the war and transferred to HUD after it was formed in 1965. He was chief of the Title I Branch in the Office of the Comptroller when he retired in 1972. Mr. Dunlap was a member of Falls Church Presbyterian Church and had been a volunteer with the Metropolitan Police Boys Club. Survivors include his wife, Cleoria S. Dunlap of Arlington; four daughters, Brenda Dunlap of Boston, Susan Grinnings and Earlene Thompson, both of Falls Church, and Carol Van Gilst of San Antonio; a sister, Mabel D. Rheney of Charleston, S.C.; two brothers, Lonnie L. Dunlap of Columbia, S.C., and Orell A. Dunlap of Atlanta, and three grandchildren. MILDRED FANSLER ALDEN Former McLean Resident Mildred Fansler Alden, 81, a former McLean resident and a cofounder of the McLean Senior Citizens Club, died of cancer Jan. 27 at a hospital in Skowhegan, Maine. Mrs. Alden, who had lived in Maine for about the past 10 years, was born in Manila. She grew up in Washington and suburban Maryland, and graduated from Western High School. She had attended American and George Washington universities. During the 1930s and 1940s, Mrs. Alden worked at the Census Bureau, the Office of Production Management and the War Production Board. She had been active in the McLean chapters of the National Council of Senior Citizens and the American Association of Retired Persons, and had been a member of McLean Baptist Church and Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church. Survivors include her husband of 57 years, Ames Alden of Skowhegan; three sons, Dr. Howard Rankin Alden of Fort Collins, Colo., John Fansler Alden of Florida and Robert Ames Alden of McLean, an editor with The Washington Post; four grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. LEO MICHAEL MURPHY FBI Special Agent Leo Michael Murphy, 78, a retired special agent with the FBI, died Jan. 25 at his home in Silver Spring after a heart attack. Mr. Murphy was born in Bradford, Pa., and graduated from National Law School, now part of George Washington University. He moved to the Washington area in 1927, and joined the FBI in 1937 as a file clerk. He retired in 1972. He raised show dogs and judged and lectured at dog shows in this country and in Europe. He also raised flowers for shows. Survivors include a brother, Paul W. Murphy of Silver Spring.