ANNAPOLIS, JAN. 31 -- Hoping to ease the bottleneck of beach traffic that is a summertime ritual for motorists on Maryland's Eastern Shore, the state will dismantle the westbound toll at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and double the eastbound toll, Gov. William Donald Schaefer announced today. Schaefer said that starting in April, motorists who are headed east will pay a round-trip toll of $2.50, instead of the $1.25 toll now collected in each direction. "The terrible tie-up on the Eastern Shore starting anywhere from Friday . . . until Sunday midnight we hope will be alleviated by the movement of traffic," said Schaefer. The governor is a frequent traveler to Ocean City, where he has a condominium, and he has firsthand knowledge of the long lines that form on Rte. 50 as summer weekends come to a close. Transportation officials said the heaviest traffic is generally on Saturday nights, when weeklong leases on summer homes end, and on Sundays, when people who weekend at the beach return home. Each summer, hundreds of thousands of Washington area residents and out-of-state tourists flock to Ocean City and its nearby beaches, causing a summerlong traffic jam on Rte. 50. Between 60,000 and 80,000 cars cross the bridge every Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the summer months and transportation officials said those numbers are increasing. Schaefer's announcement came during a wide-ranging news conference in which he said he would meet the commitment he made to Montgomery County to provide $4 million for construction of a University of Maryland center in the county's high-tech Shady Grove complex. Schaefer omitted the money from his budget released earlier in January, a move he said was designed to send a message to state Sen. Laurence Levitan (D-Montgomery). Schaefer has been feuding with Levitan, chairman of the Senate's Committee on Budget and Taxation, over how much money the state can spend and on what projects. Schaefer said that the state could go ahead with the one-way bridge toll only after obtaining permission of the bondholders for the state transportation authority. State law makers defeated a similar proposal last year, saying that the bondholders were opposed to the change because they were concerned about a loss of revenue from motorists who would avoid the toll barriers. Deputy Transportation Secretary Stephen Zentz estimated that the state might lose $1.8 million a year from motorists who drive alternate routes to avoid the tolls. He said that is a small amount when viewed against the total $20 million in toll revenues collected each year. Zentz said the state will remove four of the 14 toll booths and use the remaining 10 booths to promote the "free flow" of eastbound traffic. Construction work, at a cost of $500,000, would start April 3 and be completed by Memorial Day, the traditional start of the vacation season. The reduction in the number of toll booths is not expected to eliminate any jobs for existing collectors, said state officials. They said that discounts for commuters and truckers will continue. Despite the increase in beach-bound traffic, Schaefer said that traffic has actually improved as a result of his "Reach the Beach" efforts to streamline travel on the state's highways.