His lawyers acknowledged he fired the fatal shot. But their client, they said, was "a man trapped in an illness," unable to gain sexual satisfaction except by peering at women through windows and shooting them. He may have killed, his lawyers said, but he never intended to do so. A D.C. Superior Court jury rejected that defense yesterday, convicting Ricky Brogsdale, 27, of first-degree murder and four counts of assault with intent to kill in a series of "peeping Tom" shootings that terrorized Southeast Washington in the fall of 1987. Brogsdale was also convicted of carrying a pistol without a license during each of the five shootings. Brogsdale, who lived on Sixth Street SE, faces a maximum prison term of 81 years to life. If Judge Peter H. Wolf imposed the minimum sentence on all counts and ordered that they be served concurrently -- a prospect considered unlikely in this case -- Brogsdale would serve 20 years before becoming eligible for parole. At least two more trials remain for Brogsdale, who stands accused of three more first-degree murders and other shooting assaults. Most of the charges are based on a 2 1/2-hour videotaped interview with D.C. police on Oct. 18, 1987, hours after Brogsdale shot and killed Yvonne Watts through her ground-floor bedroom window in the 1100 block of Mississippi Avenue SE. Watts' teen-age children embraced Assistant U.S. Attorney June M. Jeffries after yesterday's verdict. "I thank God, I thank June, I thank everyone involved," said Janice Swann, who lived through a shot in the head to testify against Brogsdale. "Mostly for the people who didn't make it. I made it. I survived." Brogsdale remained impassive as the jury returned its verdict after just over a day of deliberation. Mary Kennedy, one of Brogsdale's public defenders, said Brogsdale would appeal his conviction. She also said the psychiatric help Brogsdale needs is unavailable at the District's Lorton Correctional Complex, and a federal prison may be "his best chance." Brogsdale followed roughly the same pattern in each of the five shootings for which he was convicted yesterday. After masturbating and peering at women in ground-floor rooms, Brogsdale usually made some noise -- tapping a window or rustling a blind -- to lure his subjects closer. As they neared the door or window, Brogsdale fired. In his videotaped statement, Brogsdale offered conflicting accounts of his reasons. At first he denied a sexual motive, maintaining that only people who "did me wrong . . . get this type of treatment." Under further questioning by police, he acknowledged that he had masturbated during "several" shootings, said "it is a sick thing, you know," and asked for psychiatric help. After losing a pretrial bid to suppress the videotape, Kennedy and fellow public defender Shawn Moore offered no defense witness or evidence and made no attempt to deny Brogsdale's responsibility for the shootings. Instead, Moore sought a reduced verdict. Brogsdale lacked premeditation and a "specific intent to kill," Moore argued, and therefore should be convicted only of second-degree murder and assault with a dangerous weapon. "Mr. Brogsdale never pursued any of these individuals, never fired again, never went back in, never tried to finish off any of the people he had shot," Moore said. "It was, again, totally unacceptable sexual behavior, but whatever was going on there was some drive that he had to do." Jeffries, the prosecutor, told the jury that "an illness or a defect" was no excuse. "It doesn't take a medical examiner, ladies and gentlemen, to realize that if you shoot someone in the head you stand an awful good chance of killing that person and that must be what you intended to do," she said. Sentencing is scheduled for April 27.