Dr. Sanford Morris Rosenthal, 91, a retired chief of the laboratory of pharmacology and toxicology at the National Institute of Arthritis and Metabolic Diseases, died of cardiac arrest May 1 at his home in Potomac. Dr. Rosenthal joined the Public Health Service in 1928 and held the rank of medical director. He was chief of the laboratory of pharmacology and toxicology for 13 years before retiring in 1961. During his career, Dr. Rosenthal contributed important information in several widely different fields, including the pharmacology of compounds containing arsenic, sulfonamide drugs, liver function tests, therapy of shock, antidote for mercury poisoning, and the biochemistry and physiology of amines. He developed a liver function test in 1931, an antidote for mercury poisoning in 1934, and a treatment for pneumococcal pneumonia in 1937. During the early 1950s, he found that a saline solution taken orally was as effective in treating the shock resulting from severe burns as the traditional treatment of intravenous injections of whole blood or plasma. After retiring, Dr. Rosenthal remained with the NIAMD for several years as a consultant. A native of Albany, Ga., Dr. Rosenthal graduated from Vanderbilt University, where he received his degree in medicine in 1922. He was a lecturer in pharmacology at McGill University in Montreal before joining the Public Health Service in Washington in 1928 as a senior pharmacologist. Dr. Rosenthal, who had published more then 100 scientific papers, was elected to the American Acadmey of Sciences in 1979. He was a member of the American Society of Pharmacology and the Washington Academy of Sciences. He had received the American Burns Association's Harvey Allen Award for distinguished service and the Public Health Service's Meritorious Service Award. He also received an award from the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics for his outstanding accomplishments. His wife, Lillian Rosenthal, died in 1983. Survivors include a son, Stephen Rosenthal of New York City; two daughters, Elizabeth Barbehenn of Bethesda and JoAnn Post of Monroe, N.H., and four grandchildren. CHARLES WILLIAM BURRIS Sperry Corp. Executive Charles William Burris, 72, retired national accounts manager for what then was Sperry Corp., died of cancer May 2 at his home in Rockville. Mr. Burris was born in Los Angeles and attended Phoenix College in Arizona. He served in the Army Air Forces during World War II and remained in the military after the war, serving in California, Pennsylvania and Florida until he was discharged as an Air Force captain in 1957. After leaving the Air Force, Mr. Burris worked for what then was Remmington Rand Univac in California, then moved to Washington for that company in 1960. He returned to California in 1963 and worked for several computer-related firms, then returned to this area in 1967 to work for Sperry Corp. His assignments with Sperry included supervision of the implementation of the first automated computer system for the Air Force. He retired in 1983. He had served on the board of directors of the Miramont Villas Condominium Association in Rockville. Survivors include his wife, Mary Louise Burris of Rockville, and a son, James E.H. Burris of Bethesda. FRANK SPEAR BRUFFEY SR. Hardware Store Owner Frank Spear Bruffey Sr., 73, who owned and worked in Northern Virginia hardware stores from 1948 until April of this year, died May 1 at Jefferson Memorial Hospital in Alexandria after a heart attack. Mr. Bruffey, who lived in Falls Church, was a native of Charlottesville. He came to Washington in the mid-1930s and was a typewriter repairman for the Underwood Co. until 1948, when he opened Arlington Forest Hardware in Arlington. He closed the business in 1964. He then managed the garden department at Fischer's Hardware in Springfield until 1970, when he became part-owner and the operator of Williamsburg Hardware in Arlington. In 1983 he joined Brown's Hardware in Falls Church and began working there part time in 1987. Mr. Bruffey was a member of Moose Lodge 1315 in Arlington. He collected coins, postcards and stamps. Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Rosemary S. Bruffey of Falls Church; four daughters, Margaret Anne Barnes of Ventura, Calif., Rosemary B. Scott of Jacksonville, Elizabeth L. Pamplin of Arlington and Suellen B. Culbert of Bowie; two sons, Frank S. Bruffey Jr. of Silver Spring and E. Wiliam Bruffey of Gaithersburg; 23 grandchildren, and 13 great-grandchildren. EARLE F. MARTIN Defense Dept. Supply Specialist Earle F. Martin, 68, a retired supply specialist for the Department of Defense, died of cancer April 26 at a hospital in Georgetown, S.C. Mr. Martin was born in Lynn, Mass., and served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II. After the war, he was a civilian employee of the Defense Department in Carlisle, Pa. He was transferred to this area in 1963 and worked at the Defense Department facility at Cameron Station in Alexandria until he retired in 1976. A former resident of Annandale, he moved to Pawleys Island, S.C., in 1977. He was a former member of the United Church of Christ in Annandale, the Disabled American Veterans and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Survivors include his wife, Janet Martin of Pawleys Island; a daughter, Betty Weese of Fairfax, and two grandchildren. ALTA GLORIA BINGAMAN Accounting Clerk Alta Gloria Bingaman, 72, a retired accounting clerk with the General Services Administration, died May 1 at the Camelot Hall Nursing Home in Arlington of complications from diabetes. She lived in Arlington. Mrs. Bingaman was born in Washington and graduated from Roosevelt High School. She worked for the American Red Cross during World War II, and in 1947 was presented with the Meritorious Civilian Service Award by President Truman. She joined the GSA in 1952 and retired for health reasons in 1968. Her marriage to George Bingaman ended in divorce. Survivors include a son, George Bingaman Jr. of Fredericksburg, Va.; a sister, Edna Wright of Arlington; three grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren. MATHEW T. VALENCIC Advocate for Legal Reform Mathew T. Valencic, 38, executive director in Washington of HALT/Americans for Legal Reform from 1978 to 1984, died April 24 at a hospital in New York City from injuries he received earlier that evening in a pedestrian traffic accident in Manhattan. A spokesman for the New York City police said that Mr. Valencic was struck by a truck as it turned a corner. The spokesman said the case is under investigation. Mr. Valencic was a native of Wakeman, Ohio, and was a third-year law student at Columbia University. He graduated from Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio, and received a master's degree in English language and literature from Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar. He had a master's degree in public affairs from Harvard University. In 1977, he was cofounder of HALT/Americans for Legal Reform, a public interest group that seeks to make the law more accessible. Survivors include his parents, Mathias and Marge Valencic of Wakeman; a sister, Dottie Cousino of Lake City, Fla., and his fiance, Dr. Rebecca del Carmen of Washington.