Frank Thompson Jr., 70, a New Jersey Democrat who spent 26 years in the House of Representatives where he was a staunch advocate of social and civil rights and the interests of organized labor before seeing his career end in political defeat and prison, died July 22. Mr. Thompson, who lived in Alexandria, died at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore after surgery for a throat tumor. He served in the House from 1955 to 1981. When he left Congress, he was second-ranking Democrat on the Education and Labor Committee and chairman of the Administration Committee. He also had been a founder of the Democratic Study Group, a leader in passage of the landmark Landrum-Griffin Labor Act, a high official in the 1960 presidential election campaign of his friend John F. Kennedy, and a House whip in the passage of the 1964 civil rights bill. One of the more visible and successful congressional political careers came crashing down in a storm that came to be called Abscam. An FBI sweep against political corruption on Capitol Hill, the bureau "sting" operation resulted in the indictment of Mr. Thompson and Rep. John Murphy (D-N.Y.) for accepting bribes from FBI agents posing as big-spending investors. According to the indictment, he agreed to use his influence to help a group of Arab businessmen on "an immigration matter" and agreed to introduce the agents to other members of Congress willing to take bribes. Mr. Thompson was defeated for reelection in the November 1980 general election by current 4th District Republican Chris Smith. In December 1980, Mr. Thompson was convicted by a federal jury, though he maintained he was innocent of the charges. He served almost two years in the federal corrections center in Lexington, Ky., before being paroled in September 1985. His fall was a bigger story than the disgrace of just another member of Congress or even a committee chairman. He was a figure of accomplishment, wit and grace. Tall and debonair, he was a world-class raconteur who seemed both highly respected and well liked. He was often mentioned as a possible candidate for governor or senator, or member of the Cabinet in a Democratic administration. Mr. Thompson was a native of Trenton, N.J. After his father's death, when Mr. Thompson was 12 years old, he went to work as a machine operator in the local General Motors plant. He was educated at Wake Forest College and its law school and also received a law degree from Rutgers University. During World War II, he served with the Navy in the Pacific battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. He also served on active duty during the Korean War. He began practicing law in Trenton in 1948. From 1950 to 1954, he served in the New Jersey General Assembly, becoming its minority leader. He was elected to the House of Representatives from Trenton in 1954. Soon after going to Congress, he joined with other liberal members of his party to form the Democratic Study Group. That forum eventually played an important role in advancing civil rights legislation, persuading the House to turn against the war in Southeast Asia, and promoting House procedural reforms. In 1960, he led the Kennedy presidential campaign's voter registration operation. After the election, Mr. Thompson teamed with Rep. Richard Bolling (D-Mo.) and House Speaker Sam Rayburn (D-Tex.) in an epic and successful effort to enlarge the House Rules Committee. This was to make the powerful body more accurately reflect the will of the Democratic majority and to greatly increase the chances of the Kennedy administration's legislative program. After Rayburn's death, Mr. Thompson managed the unsuccessful campaign of Bolling to become majority leader. He later sponsored bills creating the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and the National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities. He also made his mark on bills dealing with education. On the Education and Labor Committee, Mr. Thompson was recognized as one of labor's strongest supporters in Congress and rose to become chairman of the labor-management relations subcommittee. That subcommittee had jurisdiction over the drafting of labor-management relations laws. Long respected for both his clout and intelligence, some observers wrote that in later years he lost several key battles for labor when he misread the mood of the Congress and the country for pro-labor legislation. He took over the chairmanship of the House Administration Committee in 1976. His predecessor, Wayne Hayes (D-Ohio), had built a seemingly unimportant committee chairmanship into a power bastion that controlled enormous patronage on the Hill and passed on congressional expense accounts, staff and many staff salaries. Hayes was ousted from the chairmanship and left Congress after it was revealed that he had put his mistress, Elizabeth Ray, on the House payroll. Mr. Thompson devoted his energies on the committee to pushing for campaign finance reform. Survivors include his wife, Evelina, of Alexandria; two daughters, Ann Henderson of Washington, and Nina Lyons of Crosswicks, N.J.; a brother, Daws, of Trenton; and three grandchildren. M. HELEN STOHLMAN D.C. Elementary School Principal M. Helen Stohlman, 86, a retired educator who was a teacher and then principal with the District public schools from the late 1920s until retiring in the early 1960s, died July 22 at Georgetown University Hospital after a stroke. She began her career with the D.C. schools as an elementary schools science teacher. She was principal of Stoddert Elementary School before spending her last 10 years with the system as principal of Mann Elementary School. Miss Stohlman, who lived in Washington, was a native of Chevy Chase. She was a graduate of Central High School and Wilson Normal School. She received a master's degree in education from George Washington University. She was a member of the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Washington. She also was a member of the St. Gertrude Guild, a fund-raising organization of the Washington archdiocese. Miss Stohlman leaves no immediate survivors. JANE LEROHL RASMUSSEN Former Area Resident Jane Lerohl Rasmussen, 36, an area resident from 1962 to 1979 who was a 1971 graduate of Edison High School in Fairfax County and who had been a secretary with the Federal Trade Commission, died July 20 at a hospital in Newark. A liver transplant candidate, she died of internal bleeding associated with chronic hepatitis. She had been treated for liver disease since 1974. Mrs. Rasmussen, who was born in Columbus, Ohio, resided in Roselle, N.J. She had lived in New Jersey since 1979. During her high school years, she had been a coach with the Highland Park Swim Club in Alexandria and was active in area swim organizations. At Edison, she had been class treasurer and was a member of the National Honor Society. She was a 1967 recipient of a youth leader of the year award from the Alexandria branch of the YMCA of Metropolitan Washington. In 1975, she graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English. She worked for the FTC from 1976 to 1979. After moving to New Jersey, she worked for Exxon as a machinist from 1982 to 1987. After that, she worked for a local newspaper and wrote for a newsletter. Survivors include her husband, Andrew, of Roselle; her parents, retired Air Force Col. John Lerohl and Ann Lawrence Lerohl of Alexandria; a brother, Jack Lerohl of Denver; and three sisters, Karen Wilson of Manhattan Beach, Calif., Kathryn Keany of Alexandria, and Randi Lerohl of New York. KERMIT V. GIMMEL CIA Official Kermit V. Gimmel, 67, who worked for the Central Intelligence Agency for 27 years before retiring in 1974 as chief of its computer and programming group, died July 22 at his home in Rockville after a heart attack. During World War II, he worked for the Navy in a civilian capacity and served in the Army. He joined the CIA in 1947. Mr. Gimmel, who was a native of West Virginia, moved to the Washington area in 1943. He was a graduate of Pennsylvania State University and received a master's degree in civil engineering from George Washington University. He was a member of Chevy Chase Methodist Church and the Central Intelligence Retirement Association. Survivors include his wife, Lola C., of Rockville; a son, Gerald K., and a daughter, Pamela G. Nicholson, both of Gaithersburg; a brother, Daniel G., of Connellsville, Pa.; a sister, Lynette Slayton of Elkins, W.Va.; and three grandchildren. JAYNE T. SMITH Dog Groomer and Breeder Jayne Terrett Smith, 66, who had groomed and bred toy poodles in Bethesda from the mid-1950s until retiring in the late 1970s, died of cardiac arrest July 21 at her home in Warrenton, Va. Mrs. Smith was a native of Washington. She was a graduate of Holy Cross Academy in Washington and the Washington School for Secretaries. She had worked briefly for American Airlines at National Airport in the late 1940s. Her marriages to Carl Brown and Ralph Smith ended in divorce. Survivors include a daughter by her first marriage, Linda Crowell of Warrenton; two sons by her second marriage, Robert Smith of Reston and Rodney Smith of Warrenton; a sister, Betty Schmidt of Denver, and three grandchildren. FRANCES D. HEISKELL Church Member Frances Dunlop Heiskell, 84, a member of Georgetown Presbyterian Church and the Washington chapter of the National Society of Colonial Dames of America, died July 20 at the Bethesda Retirement & Nursing Center in Chevy Chase after a stroke. Mrs. Heiskell had been in the nursing home for about two years. She was born in Leesburg and grew up in Washington. She was a graduate of Sweet Briar College. Her husband, James Richard Heiskell, whom she married in 1936, died in 1984. She leaves no immediate survivors.