Alan Reed McCracken, 91, a retired Navy rear admiral who won the Navy Cross and spent 33 months as a prisoner of war during World War II, died of a heart ailment Nov. 17 at Bethesda Naval Hospital. He lived in Bethesda. In June 1941, he left a staff job in Washington to join the old Asiatic Fleet as commanding officer of the river gunboat Mindanao. After serving out of Hong Kong on the Pearl River patrol, it was ordered to the Philippines in December 1941. After the outbreak of war with Japan, the gunboat operated out of Manila Bay until April 1942, when the officers and crew joined depleted Philippine and American units ashore. The Mindanao's crew operated 12-inch mortars near Corregidor. After the surrender of Allied forces around Manila, Adm. McCracken was imprisoned by the Japanese. He was liberated from his Manila prison by American forces in February 1945. He was awarded the Navy Cross, the service's highest award for valor except for the Medal of Honor. His citation mentioned his "heroism in combat" and said that "while exposed to frequent horizontal and dive bombing attacks by enemy Japanese air forces, Cmdr. McCracken directed the anti-aircraft batteries of his ship and conducted operations involving hazardous missions." After the war and hospitalization, he was promoted to captain. His later assignments included command of the attack transports Lanier and Renville and service with the Bureau of Naval Personnel. In 1947, he was named to the staff of the Naval Administrative Command of the Central Intelligence Agency. He held that post until retiring from active duty Jan. 1, 1950. In addition to the Navy Cross, his medals included two Presidential Unit Citations. He was advanced to the rank of rear admiral on the basis of his combat awards. Adm. McCracken, who had maintained a home in the Washington area since the 1920s, was a native of Paxton, Ill. After graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1922, he held staff posts and served at sea aboard destroyers, cruisers and battleships. In the 1920s, he worked in the code and signal section of the Office of Naval Communications. He was an instructor in the English and history department at Annapolis from 1933 to 1936 and served in the office of the chief of naval operations from 1939 to 1941. Adm. McCracken was the author of "Very Soon Now, Joe," a book that recounted his experiences as a prisoner of war. He also contributed articles to the Proceedings of the U.S. Naval Institute. He was an honorary vice commander of the American Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor. He had been a member of the Chevy Chase Club for more than 50 years. His first wife, the former Charlotte Washburn, died in 1946. Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Lillian Dixon McCracken of Bethesda; three children by his first marriage, Douglas Scott McCracken of Hollywood, Fla., Alan Washburn McCracken of Ocean, N.J., and Bonnie Dana of Houston; six grand-children; and three great-grandchildren. RHODA CONN Music Business Co-Owner Rhoda Conn, 71, a retired government statistical assistant who was co-owner of the Merv Conn Music business in Silver Spring, died of vasculitis Nov. 18 at Georgetown University Hospital. She lived in Silver Spring. She and her husband, Merv, had been co-owners of the music business since 1945, he selling and repairing accordions, giving instrument lessons and performing professionally, she teaching, booking engagements, working in the music publishing end of the business and keeping sales records. She also displayed and sold music boxes. Mrs. Conn was a native of Baltimore and came here and began her government career with the Treasury Department in 1940. She worked for several other agencies before retiring to raise a family in 1950. Five years later, she returned to federal service and worked for the Department of Agriculture until retiring in 1985 from its Foreign Agricultural Service. In addition to her husband, whom she married in 1942 and who lives in Silver Spring, her survivors include a son, Robert, also of Silver Spring; a daughter, Maria Cohen of New York City; a brother, Harry Silverman of Winchester, Ky.; and two sisters, Sarah Powell of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Mary Green of Louisville. MARGARET BRYANT DENSON DAR Member Margaret Bryant Denson, 82, a member of the Army-Navy chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution who had lived in the Washington area since 1939, died Nov. 19 of sepsis at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. She lived in Washington. Mrs. Denson was a native of Newport News, Va. She graduated from Hollins College in Hollins College, Va., and the Maryland Institute of Fine Arts in Baltimore. She was the widow of retired Army Col. Lee A. Denson, who died in 1986. Between 1931 and 1939, she had accompanied him to posts in this country and the Philippines. Mrs. Denson was a member of the Colonial Dames of America and the Club of the Colonial Dames. Survivors include a son, retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Lee A. Denson Jr. of Alexandria, and two grandchildren. ARTHUR R. RAUSCH Army Colonel Arthur R. Rausch, 69, who served 33 years in the Army before retiring in 1974 as a colonel, died of cancer Nov. 18 at his home in Falls Church. Col. Rausch, who had lived in this area since the early 1970s, was a native of New York City. He entered the Army in 1941 and was commissioned two years later. He served in the Pacific during World War II. He spent the bulk of his career working in ordnance, holding posts both here and abroad. His last assignment was with the Army Materiel Command here. After retiring from active duty, he was a consultant until retiring for a second time about 1978. His decorations included two Legions of Merit and two Army Commendation Medals. He had attended Northern Virginia Community College and graduated from the Air Force Command and Staff College. Col. Rausch was a member of St. Luke's Lutheran Church in Silver Spring and the Retired Officers Association. His first wife, Norma Evans Rausch, died in 1972. Survivors include his wife, Christine B., of Falls Church; three children by his first marriage, Douglas, of Falls Church, David, of West Germany, and Diane Seng of Illinois; four stepdaughters, Janet Thomas of Mount Airy, Melanie Boone of Richmond, Leslie Stoner of Gaithersburg and Lori Hefner of Hedgesville, W.Va.; a brother, Joseph Rauschkolb of Myrtle Beach, S.C.; and a sister, Charlotte Berzon of Purchase, N.Y. FRANCIS J. STEWART SR. FTC Lawyer Francis J. Stewart Sr., 65, a retired Federal Trade Commission lawyer, died of cancer Nov. 11 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. Mr. Stewart, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Czechoslovakia. During the 1930s he emigrated and came to Uniontown, Pa. He served in the Marine Corps in the South Pacific during World War II and was awarded a Purple Heart. In 1948 he graduated from West Virginia University, then moved to Washington and attended law school at George Washington University. Upon graduation, he began working for the FTC. He was assigned in Washington for 20 years before being transferred to Cleveland and then Kansas City, where he retired in 1977. On retirement, Mr. Stewart moved to Corpus Christi, Tex. He returned to this area in June. Mr. Stewart's second wife, Mary Nell Garrison Stewart, died in 1987. Survivors include his wife, Muriel B. Stewart of Alexandria, whom he had divorced and then remarried after the death of his second wife; their three children, Francis J. "Rocky" Stewart of Alexandria, Jeffrey Adam Stewart of Springfield and Suzanne Robertson of Wilmington, N.C.; a brother, Laddie J. Stewart of Lumberton, N.C.; and a granddaughter. MARK MURRAY-MAZWI Actor Mark Murray-Mazwi, 52, a Washington resident and Baltimore native who was a television and movie actor, died Nov. 17 at Capitol Hill Hospital after a heart attack. His film credits include "Hairspray," "Protocol" and "Airport III." He also had appeared in the television series "Hawk." He was born Ralph Holland Murray and later changed his name. He was a graduate of Morgan State University. In the 1960s, he became a Baltimore television news reporter. Later he lived in Europe before moving here in 1974. He was a member of the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists and the Screen Actors Guild. His marriage to Carolyn Murray ended in divorce. Surviors include his wife, Jo Tingle, and their two children, Aziza and Ayana, all of Washington; five children by his first marriage, Rick, Christopher, Melissa, Melanee and Erva Murray, all of Baltimore; two brothers, retired Army Lt. Col. Edward L. Murray Jr. of Indianapolis and Gilbert Murray of Columbus, Ohio; and a sister, Judith Murray Kitz of Baltimore. PEARL COOPER WILLIAMS Economist Pearl Cooper Williams, 71, an economist who worked for the government for 33 years before retiring in 1973 as chief of the survey section in National Institutes of Health's research grants division, died Nov. 20 at George Washington University Hospital. She had a brain tumor. She moved here and began her government career in 1940 as a Census Bureau clerk. She was an economist on the War Labor Board during World War II, then worked for the Labor Department from 1947 to 1968. After retiring from NIH, she continued to work as a consultant there until 1978. Mrs. Williams, who lived in Bethesda, was a native of Philadelphia, where she graduated from the University of Pennsylvania. She was a member of the League of Women Voters and the Friends of Histadrut. Her marriage to Harold Ravner ended in divorce. Survivors include her husband, David C. Williams of Bethesda; and three stepchildren, Pamela Roddy of Bethesda, Ian Williams of Wilmette, Ill., and Michael Williams of Cambridge, Md. WOLFGANG AUGUST MENZEL Physicist Wolfgang August Menzel, 76, a retired government physicist who had worked for the Navy Department and NASA, died Nov. 17 at Holy Cross Hospital after surgery for lung cancer. Dr. Menzel, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Breslau, Germany. He graduated from Breslau University, where he also received his doctorate in physics. During World War II, he was an aerodynamics scientist in Germany. He came to the United States and the Washington area in 1948 as a research scientist at the wind tunnel facility of what was then the Naval Ordnance Laboratory. In 1960, he transferred to NASA, where he worked in laser optics research. He retired in 1972 and had been a consultant at the Naval Surface Weapons Center since about 1974. His awards included two Meritorious Civilian Service awards from the Navy Department. His wife, Johanna Schnelle Menzel, died in 1988. Survivors include two sons, Reinard Menzel of Tullahoma, Tenn., and Paul Menzel of Madison, Wis. THOMAS POWER DILLON SR. CIA Logistics Specialist Thomas Power Dillon Sr., 72, a retired Central Intelligence Agency logistics specialist who also had been a colonel in the Army reserves, died of cancer Nov. 12 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. Mr. Dillon, who lived in McLean, was born in Pittsburgh and graduated from the University of Pittsburgh. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II. After the war he taught business and accounting at St. Joseph's College and Mount St. Mary's College in Emmitsburg, Md., and received a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University. He joined the CIA in 1952. He served in Washington for most of his career, but had also been assigned in San Antonio and Honolulu. He retired in 1977. As a a reserve officer, Mr. Dillon attended the Army's Command and General Staff School and the Industrial College of the Armed Forces before retiring in 1969. He was a member of St. John's Catholic Church in McLean. Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Jessie Macdonald Dillon of McLean; five children, Thomas P. Dillon Jr. of Vienna, Robert W. Dillon of Chantilly, Judith D. Fitzpatrick of Newington, Conn., and Alice D. Cox and John J. Dillon, both of Manassas; a brother, William A. Dillon of Rome, N.Y.; and five grandchildren. PAUL MARVIN DODD GSA Area Manager Paul Marvin Dodd, 74, a retired area manager for the General Services Administration, died Nov. 17 of a kidney ailment at Fairfax Hospital. Mr. Dodd was a native of Arlington and had lived in McLean for 39 years before moving to Herndon, where he had lived since 1988. He was a graduate of Washington-Lee High School and Randolph-Macon College in Ashland, Va. During World War II, he served in the Coast Guard. He joined the GSA in 1946 and retired in 1973. He was a Sunday school superintendent, administrative board chairman and choir member at Trinity United Methodist Church in McLean. Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Phyllis Moore Dodd of Herndon; two sons, Michael M. Dodd of Raleigh, N.C., and James S. Dodd of Warrenton, Va.; two daughters, Ellen D. Bailey of Centreville and Barbara D. McMillan of the Ivory Coast; a sister, Virginia Dodd Good of Denton, Md.; and five grandchildren. LOUISE MEGEE THOMAS Church and Club Member Louise Megee Thomas, 94, a member of churches and women's clubs in Montgomery County, died of cardiac arrest Nov. 18 at her home in Rockville. Mrs. Thomas was born in Hutto, Tex. She graduated from the University of Texas, where she also received master's degrees in English and home economics. She moved to the Washington area in 1927. She had been a member of Bethesda Presbyterian Church, Warner Memorial Presbyterian Church in Kensington, the Woman's Clubs of Chevy Chase, Garrett Park and Kensington and the League of Women Voters. She had also served on the advisory board of Montgomery College when the college was organized in the late 1940s. Her husband, Dr. James L. Thomas, died in 1972. Survivors include two children, Anne Thomas Tenny of Garrett Park and James L. Thomas of Rockville; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.