Clement F. Haynsworth Jr., 77, retired chief judge of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals whose 1969 nomination to the Supreme Court by President Richard Nixon was rejected by the Senate after a bitter and protracted controversy, died yesterday at his home in Greenville, S.C., after a heart attack. Judge Haynsworth served 24 years on the Court of Appeals before taking senior status and semi-retirement in 1981. He had been chief judge of the 10-member court, which includes Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina and South Carolina, for 17 years when he stepped down. A courtly, courteous and self-effacing jurist whose father, grandfather, great-grandfather and great-great-grandfather all had practiced law in South Carolina, Judge Haynsworth was attacked during the confirmation hearings as "anti-labor," criticized as a "laundered segregationist," and accused of "ethical insensitivity" for ruling in some cases that involved companies in which he held stock. On Nov. 21, 1969, the Senate voted 55 to 45 against his confirmation. It was a major political setback to Nixon, who was said to have been looking to appoint a Southerner as part of a strategy to strengthen the Republican Party in the South. After Judge Haynsworth's rejection for the seat vacated by the resignation of Justice Abe Fortas, Nixon angrily blamed the outcome on "anti-Southern, anti-conservative, anti-strict-constructionist" prejudice. He nominated G. Harrold Carswell, a federal judge from Florida who also was rejected. The seat eventually went to Harry A. Blackmun of Minnesota. Judge Haynsworth quietly returned to his career on the appellate bench, where he was generally considered to have served with distinction, both by liberals and conservatives. Under his leadership the court established a reputation for the workmanlike and scholarly manner in which it went about its business, and it was considered to be among the national leaders in certain areas of prisoner rights and criminal law. Ten years after the Senate rejected his nomination, Judge Haynsworth told The Washington Post that his rejection was painful and that he considered it political. But he was never bitter. "I survived it," he said. "I knew there might be a problem because I was a Southerner, but I never expected anything like what happened." Several senators sent him private communications saying their criticism of his judicial philosophy and ethics were not directed at him personally, he recalled, but this was of little help. "I was the one whose head was being pounded." A native of Greenville, Judge Haynsworth graduated summa cum laude from Furman University, which had been founded by his great-great-grandfather, and from Harvard Law School. In 1936, he became an associate in the family law firm of Haynsworth & Haynsworth, which then was the largest in South Carolina. He was made a partner in 1940. During World War II he served as an intelligence officer in the Navy, then returned to Greensboro and the family law firm, where he practiced until his appointment to the Court of Appeals by President Eisenhower in 1957. He brought to the bench a reputation as a top-flight lawyer with a middle-of-the-road legal outlook. His judicial opinions were known for the workmanlike way in which they were crafted. His leadership of the 4th Circuit covered the years in which school desegregation and busing were major public issues. In this area Judge Haynsworth and his colleagues were considered neither foot-draggers nor vigorous advocates of speedy desegregation, although opponents of Judge Haynsworth's nomination argued during the confirmation hearings that four opinions in particular had supported school segregation. In 1983 the federal building in Greenville was renamed in his honor, and speakers at the ceremony suggested the gesture was a symbolic apology for the Senate's rejection of his nomination. Supreme Court Justice Lewis F. Powell Jr. called the vote "purely political," and declared that "injustice was done" by the Senate vote. Judge Haynsworth's survivors include his wife, Dorothy Haynsworth of Greenville, and two stepsons. RUTH HARRISON SPAATZ Actress, WWII Volunteer Ruth Harrison Spaatz, 93, a former actress and World War II volunteer who was the widow of Air Force Gen. Carl A. Spaatz, died Nov. 19 at Georgetown University Hospital after a stroke. Mrs. Spaatz, who lived in Washington, was born in Fort Riley, Kan., the daughter of an officer in the Army's horse cavalry. She attended the University of California at Berkeley and the University of Hawaii. She met her future husband in 1914, when he was assigned at Schofield Barracks on the island of Oahu, Hawaii. When he left Schofield to become an Army aviator, Mrs. Spaatz's father is said to have remarked, "That's the last we'll ever see of that young man." But she and the future general eloped in 1917 shortly before he was sent to Europe to serve in World War I. She accompanied him to military posts before his retirement as the first Air Force chief of staff in 1948. He died in 1974. A resident of the Washington area since 1939, Mrs. Spaatz acted professionally with the Wardman Park Players. She did volunteer work with the Red Cross and other organizations during World War II. Survivors include three daughters, Katharine Bell of London, Rebecca Nagel of Washington and Carla Thomas of Chevy Chase; 11 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. LAWRENCE A. WASHINGTON Gay Leader Lawrence A. Washington, 45, a social worker at the Veterans Administration Hospital who had been president of the D.C. Coalition of Black Gay Men and Women and a co-chairman of the National Coalition of Black Lesbians and Gays, died Nov. 21 at the VA Hospital. He had AIDS. Mr. Washington, who had lived in the District since joining the Veterans Administration in 1979, was a native of Baltimore. He graduated from Morgan State University and received a master's degree in social work from the University of Pennsylvania. He served in the Army from 1969 to 1972. He was a social worker at City Hospital in Baltimore before moving here in 1979 to join the VA. Mr. Washington was a member of the National Social Workers Association, the Academy of Certified Social Workers, the Hughes-Roosevelt Democratic Club, the Gay-Lesbian Anti-Violence Task Force and the Best Friends of D.C. Survivors include his mother, Florine Washington of Baltimore; four brothers, James, Vernon and Ronald Washington, all of Baltimore, and Glenn Washington of the District. WINIFRED PROCTOR MACRI Kensington Native Winifred Proctor Macri, 63, a native of Kensington, died of cancer Nov. 21 at her home in Silver Spring. Mrs. Macri was a graduate of Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring. She moved to Florida in 1974 and lived there until 1981, when she returned to the Washington area and settled in Silver Spring. Her marriage to Richard Nealis ended in divorce. Survivors include her husband, Frank J. Macri of Silver Spring; four children from her first marriage, James Nealis of Okeechobee, Fla., Susan Fisher of Sebring, Fla., and Mark Nealis and Guy Nealis, both of Avon Park, Fla.; four stepchildren, Anne McHenry of Silver Spring, Karen Sachs of Gaithersburg, Frank L. Macri of Silver Spring and John J. Macri of Nanjemoy, Md.; two sisters, Annie Pardee of Sebring and Josephine Caswell of Peachtree City, Ga.; and nine grandchildren.