Malcolm Drennan Miller, 80, a former deputy commissioner of the General Services Administration who retired in 1969 as a member of the agency's board of contract appeals, died Dec. 26 at Arlington Hospital after a heart attack. Mr. Miller, who lived in Arlington, was born in Waverly, Ill. He graduated from Iowa's Grinnell College. He moved to Washington in the 1930s, graduated from Georgetown Law School and began his government career with the Federal Bureau of Investigation. From 1936 to 1943, he worked for the Interstate Commerce Commission. From 1943 to 1946, he worked for the Office of Price Administration as chief counsel in the common carrier section. From 1946 to 1956, Mr. Miller had a private law practice in Washington, specializing in transportation rate cases. He also was a Post Office Department trial lawyer in railway mail pay cases and lectured in transportation courses at American University. He was a GSA lawyer and administrator from 1956 until he retired in 1969, and was assistant general counsel for transportation and public utilities, deputy commissioner for transportation and communications services and deputy general counsel before serving on the board of contract appeals. Mr. Miller was active in Arlington civic and political organizations and was chairman of the Committee of 100 and the Better Government League. He had been a member of the Citizens Committee for School Improvement, which was influential in obtaining an elected school board for Arlington. He also was the attorney for the Arlington County Board. He had been chairman of the expenditures and revenue committee of the Arlington Civic Federation and in 1950 was awarded the Evening Star Cup for his work with that organization. Survivors include his wife, Martha Ann Miller of Arlington; three children, Winifred E. Kriebel of Arlington, Margaret Filiatrault of Trumbull, Conn., and Malcolm R. Miller of Santa Rosa, Calif.; a sister, Esther Nye of Juliaetta, Idaho, and four grandchildren. REGINALD A. CLARKE World Bank Official Reginald A. Clarke, 68, retired director of the compensation department at the World Bank, died of prostate cancer Dec. 18 at his home in Seattle. Mr. Clarke worked 24 years at the World Bank before his retirement in 1987. He moved to the Washington area and joined the World Bank staff as an adviser in the development services department in 1964. Later, he became personnel manager, director of the personnel department and, in 1979, director of the compensation department. A former resident of Bethesda, he moved to Seattle after retiring. A native of Yorkshire, England, Mr. Clarke served in the Royal Air Force in Europe and south Asia during World War II. He served in the British Colonial Service in Nigeria from 1947 to 1963. His marriage to Dorithea Nanette Clarke ended in divorce. Survivors include his wife, Serena Han Clarke of Seattle; four children of his first marriage, Susan R. Mortimer of Oxford, England, David J. Clarke of Northallerton, England, Andrew L. Clarke of London and Chris P. Clarke of Rockville; and six grandchildren. ROBERT L. HAYDON JR. D.C. Insurance Official Robert L. Haydon, 76, retired deputy superintendent of insurance for the District of Columbia, died Dec. 22 at his home in Cocoa, Fla., after a heart attack. Mr. Haydon was born in Washington and reared in Detroit. He returned here as a student at the University of Maryland. During World War II, he was a cryptographer in the Navy. Before joining the D.C. Department of Insurance in 1965, he had been vice president and general manager of the Washington offices of Imperial Insurance Inc. and American Homeowners Insurance Co. Earlier he had been manager of the Washington office of General Accident Fire and Life Assurance Co. He retired as deputy superintendent of insurance and moved to Florida in 1974. Mr. Haydon was a Mason and a member of Almas Temple and Almas Yacht Club. He was an amateur radio operator. Survivors include his wife, Elaine O'Flaherty Haydon of Cocoa; two sons, Dennis Haydon of Seattle and James Haydon of Oxon Hill; three sisters, Dorothea Dempsey of Wheaton, Lavinia Franklin of Urbanna, Va., and Fairy Knight of Fulton, Mo.; and four grandchildren. CHARLES MANSUR COWHERD Air Force Veterinarian Charles Mansur Cowherd, 100, a retired Air Force colonel who began his military career as an Army veterinarian caring for mules and cavalry horses in World War I, died of respiratory arrest Dec. 25 at the Belvoir Woods Health Care Center at Fort Belvoir. Col. Cowherd served 32 years in the military before retiring in 1949 as the base veterinarian at Brookley Air Force Base in Mobile, Ala. In that assignment he was responsible for inspecting the meat served in post dining halls and treating pets of Air Force families. A resident of Alexandria, he was born on a farm near Santa Fe, Mo. He graduated from Kansas City Veterinary College in 1912. He joined the Army uwhen the United States entered World War I in April 1917. Duties between World Wars I and II included service in the veterinary corps in Fort Sam Houston, Tex., Fort Benjamin Harrison, Ind., Fort Hoyle, Md., Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, Washington and Carlisle, Pa. During World War II, Col. Cowherd served in the South Pacific. By then the duties of the veterinary corps were largely limited to meat inspection. He transferred to the Air Force when it became a separate service in 1947 and was assigned to Langley Air Force Base, Va. before his final assignment at Brookley. In retirement, Col. Cowherd had lived in Bradenton, Fla., where he became an authority on cultivating roses. He wrote articles on this subject and was a judge for the Southeastern division of the Rose Society. Since 1981 he had lived in Alexandria. He was a Mason and earlier this year received his 75-year pin from Alexandria's Andrew Jackson Masonic lodge. His wife of 61 years, the former Emma Alice Mitchell, died in 1981. A son, Army Lt. Richard M. Cowherd, died in 1945 of wounds received in combat in Germany. Survivors include a son, retired Army Col. Robert M. Cowherd of Alexandria; four grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren. WILBUR B. PERINE JR. Bank Official Wilbur B. Perine Jr., 70, a retired vice president of the Jefferson Federal Savings & Loan Association in Washington, died of leukemia Dec. 25 at Fairfax Hospital. Mr. Perine, a resident of McLean, was born in Alexandria. He graduated from Roosevelt High School in Washington and from Southeastern University, where he majored in business. He served in the Navy in the Pacific in World War II and took part in the Okinawa campaign. He began his business career in 1937 at the Riggs National Bank. After the war, he worked for an accounting firm and then joined the Jefferson Federal Savings & Loan Association in 1952. He retired in 1983. Mr. Perine was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Survivors include his wife, Alta E. Perine, whom he married in 1939, of McLean; two daughters, Barbara Hymas of Sterling, Va., and Nancy Whitten of Canton, Ohio; a brother, Jack Perine of Berryville, Va.; and six grandchildren. LILLIAN P. LEIKIND Agricultural Consultant Lillian P. Leikind, 72, a retired consultant on agricultural marketing and a former government official, died Dec. 26 at the Carriage Hill convalescent center in Bethesda. She had heart ailments and stroke. Mrs. Leikind, a resident of Rockville, was born in Cleveland. She attended what is now Case Western Reserve University and graduated from Ohio State University. She moved to the Washington area in 1941 and worked for the Office of Price Administration and then the Bureau of Labor Statistics in the Labor Department. She left government in 1947 to raise her family. In 1959, Mrs. Leikind went to work for the Bureau of Business and Economic Research at the University of Maryland. In 1960, she joined the Wage and Hour Division of the Labor Department and about 1967 she transferred to the Economic Development Administration in the Commerce Department. In 1977, Mrs. Leikind left goverment and joined her husband, a former chief of the agricultural division of the U.S. Tariff Commission, in a consulting firm specializing in agriculture and international trade. She also was an industry representative to the U.S. Trade Representative and the Secretary of Agriculture. She retired from her business a year ago. Mrs. Leikind was a member of Temple Sinai and a former volunteer with the League of Women Voters. She also had been a volunteer librarian at New Hampshire Estates Elementary School in Silver Spring. Her husband, Hyamn Leikind, died in 1978. Survivors include two sons, Bernard J. Leikind of Encinitas, Calif., and Harvey D. Leikind of Rockville; and one brother, Eugene A. Birnbaum of New York. ROSE HARBER Defense Department Secretary Rose Harber, 85, a retired Defense Department secretary, died Dec. 27 at Washington Adventist Hospital after a stroke. Miss Harber, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in New York City. She was a secretary there until moving to Washington to work as a secretary in the War Department during World War II. She retired from the Defense Department in the mid-1970s. She had been corresponding secretary of the Washington chapters of B'nai B'rith Women and Na'amat USA and a member of Ohr Kodesh retirees, the Adas Israel Sisterhood, Hadassah and the Metropolitan Heart Guild. There are no immediate survivors.