In his obituary yesterday, Dr. Daniel Douglas Savage's first name was incorrect in the article and headline. (Published 1/25/90)
David Douglas Savage, 45, a research cardiologist for the U.S. Public Health Service, died Jan. 19.
A spokesman for the Montgomery County Police Department said that Dr. Savage had stabbed himself and jumped from a second-floor window of his Bethesda home. He was pronounced dead at Suburban Hospital and his death ruled a suicide, the spokesman said.
Dr. Savage had been a member of the Public Health Service for the past 15 years. Dr. Savage had spent the past six years at the Centers for Disease Control's National Center for Health Statistics where he was a medical adviser.
Since 1985, he also had taught at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences and the Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta. He also had been a consultant to the National Defense University and had participated in several nationally known cardiology studies.
Dr. Savage was a founder, past president and past board chairman of the Association of Black Cardiologists. He was a 1987 recipient of the organization's Distinguished Service Award.
He was the author of more than 60 scientific journal and research articles and had contributed chapters to more than 25 volumes of books and reports. He had served on cardiology panels of the Brookings Institution, the National Medical and American Heart associations. He had participated in numerous conferences in this country, Europe and Africa.
Beginning in the 1970s, he received recognition for his work in left ventricular hypertrophy, pointing out its significance as a heart disease and helping devise new diagnostic methods.
Dr. Savage was born in Memphis and grew up in Milwaukee. A graduate of the University of Wisconsin, he also received a master's degree and a doctorate in physiology, and graduated from medical school there. He served his internship and residency in Boston.
He came to Washington in 1974, and spent the next five years on the staff of the National Institutes of Health's National Heart Lung and Blood Institute.
From 1979 until returning here in 1983, Dr. Savage lived in the Boston area where he served with the Framingham Heart Study as an epidemiologist, and as a clinical director and chief of the study's non-invasive laboratory. He also had been active in the Framingham minorities study and had lectured on medicine at Boston and Harvard universities.
Survivors include his wife, Sandra Anderson Savage, and four daughters, Catherine, Elizabeth, Jennifer, and Diana Savage, all of Bethesda; his parents, Mattie Savage and the Rev. A.B. Savage Sr. of Franksville, Wis.; three brothers, Youlon, of Denver, Archie B. Jr., of New Britain, Conn., and Shelby Gene Savage of Milwaukee; and five sisters, Cecilia Dade of Silver Spring, Canary Girardeau of Jacksonville, Fla., and Hester Besteda, Rosetta Foote, and Mary Mitchell, all of Milwaukee.
R. CORBIN DORSEY
R. Corbin Dorsey, 83, a retired chief of the press section of the Agriculture Department's Commodity Exchange Authority, died Jan. 20 at Alexandria Hospital after surgery for a heart ailment. He lived in Arlington.
He moved here and joined the Agriculture Department in 1933. He worked in the information office of the Farm Credit Administration before joining the exchange authority after World War II. He retired in 1966.
Dr. Dorsey, who was a native of Bowling Green, Va., served in the Army in Europe during World War II. He was awarded a Purple Heart. A graduate of Richmond College, he received a doctorate in European history from Johns Hopkins University.
He was a member of Christ Episcopal Church in Washington, the National Press Club, Phi Beta Kappa and the Arlington and Caroline County historical societies.
His wife, Frances, died in 1982. Survivors include a daughter, Deborah D. Trebilcock of New York City; a sister, Margaret Dorsey of Arlington; and two grandchildren.
Mary Hekman, 37, an investments analyst with the Navy Recreation Services, died Jan. 2 at her home in Arlington after a heart attack. She had diabetes.
Miss Hekman was born in Ripon, Calif. She attended Calvin College in Michigan and graduated from Virginia Commonwealth University. She had a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University.
She moved to the Washington area and began working for the Navy Recreation Services eight years ago after having worked for Goodwill Industries in Grand Rapids, Mich., and Danville, Va.
She had been treasurer of Washington Christian Reformed Church.
Survivors include her mother, Henrietta Hekman of Ripon; three brothers, Charles Hekman of Grand Rapids, and Michael and Patrick Hekman of Ripon; and a sister, Laura Hekman of Ripon.
VIOLET BENDER TURNER
Poet and Foreign Service Widow
Violet Bender Turner, 88, a poet and teacher who was the widow of a Foreign Service officer and a former editor with the United States Information Agency, died Jan. 20 at a hospital in Harrisburg, Pa., after a stroke.
Mrs. Turner, who had lived in Washington from 1967 until she moved to Harrisburg in 1989, was a native of Indiana. She was stricken with polio when she was 3 years old. She graduated from Oberlin College. From 1927 to 1930, she headed the American Community School in Beirut.
She then lived in the Philadelphia area before moving here in the early 1940s and settling in Garrett Park, Md. In 1955, her husband, J. Sheldon Turner, became a Foreign Service officer. She accompanied him on assignments to Iraq and Thailand.
While in Thailand, Mrs. Turner was a radio and television news editor for the USIA. Mr. Turner retired in 1967.
Over the years, her poetry appeared in Poetry Magazine, Virginia Quarterly Review, Voices and The Washington Post. A collection of her work, "The Final Season," was published in 1986.
Mrs. Turner had been a member of Cedar Lane Unitarian Church in Bethesda and the Thai-American Association.
Her husband died in 1984. Survivors include two sons, Terence Turner of Ithaca, N.Y., and Stephen Turner of Santa Cruz, Calif.; a daughter, Allison Turner of Harrisburg, Pa.; two brothers, John Bender of Philadelphia and Robert Bender of Cypress, Calif.; and three grandchildren.
TERRENCE P. MC GOVERN
Terrence P. McGovern, 59, a retired chemist with the Agriculture Department's insect chemical ecology laboratory in Beltsville, died of cancer Jan. 20 at his home in Bowie.
Dr. McGovern was born in Kenosha, Wis., and grew up in Clinton, Iowa. He served in the Air Force from 1950 to 1954. He graduated from the University of Maryland, where he also received a doctorate in organic chemistry.
He joined the USDA in 1962 and spent most of his career in the development of repellants, attractants and growth regulators for use in controlling insects. His work included discovery of attractants for the Malaysian fruit fly, the Japanese beetle and the northern corn rootworm. He retired in December for health reasons.
He was the author of scientific papers and held 27 patents. In 1988 he received the USDA Distinguished Service Award.
Dr. McGovern was a member of the American Chemical Society, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Entomological Society of America, the American Mosquito Control Association and Sigma Xi, a professional association.
Survivors include his wife of 34 years, Mary Jo McGovern of Bowie; three children, Sean T. McGovern of Clinton, and Kevin J. McGovern and Kylah McGovern, both of Bowie; his mother, Marie McGovern of Clinton; a brother, J. Thomas McGovern of Clinton; and two sisters, Margaret Ann Henry of Clinton and Mary Therese Lawlor of Boone, Iowa.
VIOLA W. PERRIN
Charles County Florist
Viola W. Perrin, 70, a retired Charles County florist who had been active in county volunteer and civic work, died Jan. 20 at Physicians Memorial Hospital in La Plata after a stroke. She lived in Indian Head.
She had owned and operated the Buteaux florist shop from 1967 until retiring in 1985. Mrs. Perrin, who was born in Pennsylvania, had lived in Charles County since 1940.
She had been a county election judge and done volunteer work for the American Cancer Society and the March of Dimes. She was a member of the county Chamber of Commerce and Our Savior Lutheran Church in Bryans Road.
Survivors include her husband, Harold R., a son, Stephen L. Perrin, and a daughter, Frances P. Moody, all of Indian Head; a sister, Katheleen Murdock of Forest Heights; a brother, Paul Whetstone of Oxon Hill; and six grandchildren.
ESTHER C. DREEBEN
Esther C. Dreeben, 76, a longtime area resident who was a member of Hadassah, died of cancer Jan. 21 at Arlington Hospital. She lived in Alexandria.
Mrs. Dreeben moved here in 1932 and worked for a time for the Reconstruction Finance Corporation. From 1947 to the mid-1960s, she and her husband owned and operated a children's shoe store in her native Pennsylvania. She then returned here and worked until the early 1970s for an Arlington group that did research for patent attorneys.
Her husband, Louis M. Dreeben, died in 1985. Her survivors include two sons, E. Roger, of Bethesda, and Arthur, of Richmond, Calif.; three sisters, Sara Radman and Frances Rosenshine, both of Uniontown, Pa., and Bertha Feldman of Mount Lebanon, Pa.; two brothers, Perry and David Cooper, both of Uniontown; and four grandchildren.
ELAINE R. VAILE
Safety Committee Employee
Elaine Reed Vaile, 70, a retired employee of an industry safety group who also was past president of the Chesterbrook Elementary School PTA in McLean, died Jan. 20 at Arlington Hospital after a heart attack.
She worked for the Inter-Industry Highway Safety Committee for 23 years before retiring in 1963 as assistant to the committee's managing director.
Mrs. Vaile, who lived in McLean, was a graduate of Albion College in her native Michigan. She had been an area resident since 1938.
She had done volunteer work for the Arlington Symphony. She was a member of the River Bend Country Club in Great Falls, Va., and the Potomac Hills Garden Club in McLean.
Survivors include her husband, Stuart W., and two sons, Stuart II and Jonathan, all of McLean.
SADIE M. WISNER
Hardware Store Owner
Sadie McKenzie Wisner, 93, a retired co-owner of a Rockville hardware store and who had been a teacher, social worker and probation officer in Montgomery County, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Jan. 20 at Suburban Hospital. She lived in Rockville.
She and her husband, Jackson Ward Wisner, owned and operated Wisner & Sons Hardware in Rockville from 1947 until closing the store and retiring in 1962. After that, she tutored high school and college students in mathematics until retiring altogether in 1983.
Mrs. Wisner, who moved here in 1924, was born in Pennsylvania. She was a graduate of Goucher College and studied psychiatric social work at Smith College. She began working as a substitute teacher in the Montgomery County schools in 1930. The following year, she became a county social worker.
From 1934 to 1940, she was chief probation officer with the Montgomery County Juvenile Court. She spent the next three years as a social worker with the county Welfare Board. She then spent seven years as social services director of Suburban Hospital until retiring in 1950.
Mrs. Wisner was a member of Christ Episcopal Church in Rockville.
Her husband died in 1977. Her survivors include two sons, Jackson Jr., of Ponce Inlet, Fla., and William McKenzie Wisner of Martinsburg, W.Va.; a sister, Grace Frank of Johnstown, Pa.; 11 grandchildren; and 13 great-grandchildren.
Former Washington Resident
Dorothy Gertrude Buglass Wiles, 79, a former Washington resident and member of Union Methodist Church here, died Jan. 10 at a hospital in Miami after a stroke. She was visiting a son when she was stricken.
Mrs. Wiles was born in Mauston, Wisc. She moved to Washington in 1929 and worked for about eight years as a secretary at the Federal Trade Commission. In 1936 she married Ernest Gallienne Wiles. He died in 1976.
Shortly after her husband's death, Mrs. Wiles moved to Richmond and had lived there since.
Survivors include five children, Peter John Wiles of Corpus Christi, Tex., David Ernest Wiles of Miami, Lucy Wiles Crittenden of Richmond, Martha Wiles Quick of Bozeman, Mont., and Ruth Wiles Shive of Johannesburg; a brother, Donald Ervin Buglass of Bethesda; a sister, Mildred Buglass Belk of Mauston; and 16 grandchildren.
FREDERICK LOUIS McCOY
Frederick Louis McCoy, 74, a retired official of the Department of Agriculture and a three-term president of the St. Mary's County Historical Society, died of cardiorespiratory arrest Jan. 22 at Georgetown University Hospital.
Mr. McCoy, who lived at St. Gabriel's Manor, his farm at Scotland in St. Mary's County, was born in Beltsville. He graduated from Gonzaga College High School and Georgetown University. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the South Pacific.
In 1937, he went to work for the Farm Security Administration, a predecessor of the Agriculture Department's Farm Home Administration. He was the agency's supervisor in St. Mary's County for 25 years. He then worked in the agency's regional office and finally in its national office, where he retired in 1972.
Mr. McCoy's interest in history included chairmanship of the Project Chapel Field, the archeological excavation of an early church site in St. Mary's County. He was also a member of the Vinson Camalier Camp of the Sons of the Confederacy and the Society for the Preservation of St. Ignatius Church in St. Inigoes, Md. He belonged to the parish of St. Michael's Catholic Church in Ridge, Md.
Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Elizabeth Crowley McCoy of Scotland; nine sons, Frederick L. McCoy Jr. of Silver Spring, John C. and Mark B. McCoy, both of Baltimore, Joseph S. McCoy of Philadelphia, Daniel W. McCoy of Hollywood, Md., Thomas A. McCoy of Madrid, Christopher P. McCoy of Burtonsville, Nicholas F. McCoy of Timonium, Md., Matthew K. McCoy of Austin, Tex.; three daughters, Mary Blohm of Sudbury, Mass., Anne Hayes of Tracys Landing, Md., and Margaret Padukiewicz of Davie, Fla.; and 19 grandchildren.
GEORGE A. GLASGOW
George A. Glasgow, 83, a retired Washington lawyer who was a member of St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in Hyattsville, died of a circulatory ailment Jan. 21 in Ellicott City at the Bon Secour nursing home, where he had lived the past three years.
Mr. Glasgow was a native of Washington and graduate of what is now the George Washington University law school. After serving with the Army in Europe World War II, he practiced law with the Washington firm of Wilkes & Artis. He left the firm in the 1950s and practiced general law on his own until retiring in the late 1960s.
Survivors include eight brothers, Francis, of Kent Island; Fred, of Olney; Raymond, of College Park; Norman, of Potomac; Louis, of Clarksville, Md.; William, of Silver Spring; and Augustus and Charles, both of Hyattsville; and a sister, Clara Henneberger of Silver Spring.
JOSEPH JOHN YURKO
Joseph John Yurko, 61, a retired Army colonel who spent most of his career in the Adjutant General's Corps and who had been an Alexandria resident since retiring from active duty in 1979, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 19 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
Col. Yurko, who also maintained a cattle ranch in Costa Rica, was a native of Pennsylvania. He graduated from the University of Nebraska and later received a master's degree in data processing from George Washington University.
He entered the Army as an enlisted man in the late 1940s and was commissioned in 1952. He served in the Korean and Vietnam wars. His other assignments included duty in Paris and Panama. His last post was with Army Readiness Command at Fort Sheridan, Ill.
His military decorations included the Legion of Merit, the Meritorious Service Medal, the Army Commendation Medal, the Senior Parachutist's Badge and two awards of the National Defense Service Medal.
He was a member of the Knights of Columbus.
Survivors include his wife, Gianna C. Yurko of Alexandria and Costa Rica; a daughter, Adriana D. Yurko of Alexandria; a son, Joseph M. Yurko of Palm Harbor, Fla.; two brothers, John Yurko of Valencia, Pa., and Andrew Yurko of Valencia, Pa.; a sister, Christine Pulka of Sarver, Pa.; and a grandchild.
JACK C. SMITH
Jack C. Smith, 76, a retired National Bureau of Standards physicist who specialized in the physics of textiles, paper and composite materials, died of cancer Jan. 19 at his home in Chevy Chase.
Dr. Smith was born in Kansas City, Mo., and grew up in Akron, Ohio. He graduated from Ohio State University, where he also received a master's degree in physics. He received a doctorate in physics from the California Institute of Technology.
During World War II, he worked for the Navy Department on a project to make ships less vulnerable to magnetic mines. Later he worked on the atomic bomb project at Los Alamos, N.M.
After the war, he was a textile physicist for E.I. DuPont Co. in Buffalo and Wilmington, Del. He moved to the Washington area and began working for the Bureau of Standards in 1954.
In 1961 Dr. Smith received a Silver Medal from the Department of Commerce. He retired in 1984.
He was a fellow of the Physical Society and of the Textile Institute of Great Britain.
Survivors include his wife of 33 years, Charlotte D. Smith of Chevy Chase; and his stepmother, Louise Smith of Akron.
FRANCES L. COREY
Active in Church
Frances Lindner Corey, 81, an area resident since 1942 who was active in church, civic and volunteer groups, died of cancer Jan. 14 at Mount Vernon Hospital. She lived in Alexandria.
Mrs. Corey had been a member of the Old Presbyterian Meeting House in Alexandria since 1952. She was a member of its Circle No. 3, Women of the Church and its Knox Fellowship. She also had been a volunteer election official in Fairfax County.
She had served on Alexandria Hospital's women's auxiliary board for 21 years and had served on the board of the Belle Haven Citizens Association. She was a past president of the Grove Investment Club and member of the Belle Haven Women's Club. A golfer, she had been a member of Belle Haven Country Club since 1948.
Mrs. Corey was a native of Ocala, Fla. She was a 1930 graduate of the University of Chicago.
Survivors include her husband of 60 years, Calvin H. Corey of Alexandria; a son, John Lindner Corey of Arlington; a daughter, Jane Woolf of Sherman Oaks, Calif.; a half-sister, Barbara L. Wood of Ocala, and a half-brother, John D. Lindner, both of Ocala.
GERTRUDE DINSMORE TRUE
Gertrude Dinsmore True, 83, a volunteer worker and community activist, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 15 at her home in Arlington.
Mrs. True was born in Minneapolis. She graduated from the University of Minnesota and received a master's degree in nutrition from Columbia University's Teachers College.
Before moving to the Washington area in 1934, she taught nutrition and chemistry at the University of Minnesota.
During the Depression and World War II, she was a volunteer nutrition teacher for the Red Cross. She had also been a Girl Scout leader, day camp director and a trainer of other Girl Scout leaders.
Mrs. True was a former Sunday school superintendent at Clarendon Presbyterian Church and had been chairman of the School Board committee that started school lunches in Arlington. She had done volunteer work for Meals-on-Wheels and Churchwomen United.
Her husband, Arthur W. True, died in 1987. Survivors include three children, Fred True of Alexandria, Margaret True of Annandale and Mildred Krueger of Lathrup Village, Mich.; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Umberto Conte, 84, a Washington area stonemason for more than 60 years, died of cancer Jan. 21 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.
Mr. Conte, who lived in District Heights, was born in Pozzouli, Italy. In 1923, he emigrated to the United States. He lived in Philadelphia before coming here in 1925.
His career as a stonemason included work on Union Station, the Jefferson Memorial grounds, the reflecting pools at the Lincoln Memorial and the base of the Capitol, the Pentagon and several bridges and overpasses in the Washington area. He never retired but in recent years had worked only part time.
His first wife, Rose Colea Conte, died in 1951, and his second wife, Maria Conte, died in 1985.
Survivors include five children by his first marriage, Albert Conte of Alexandria, Vincetta Bruce of District Heights, Marguerite Oswald of Seat Pleasant, Rose Horvath of Houston and Anna Osborne of Waldorf; 12 grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.