Yuri Schwebler, 47, a conceptual artist and sculptor whose works were exhibited in the Phillips Collection and also included pyramids that filled the atrium of the Corcoran School of Art and a sundial using the Washington Monument, was found dead March 3 in Marlborough, N.Y.

A spokesman for the Marlborough police said that although Mr. Schwebler's death is under investigation, preliminary work indicates he died of carbon monoxide poisoning and his death is an apparent suicide.

He was found in the garage of his home.

During the 1970s, Mr. Schwebler was one of the more interesting artists in Washington. Known primarily as a sculptor, he worked with a variety of untraditional materials and produced unusual and exciting artworks.

He persuaded an initially puzzled U.S. Park Service to allow him to construct a giant sundial using the Washington Monument as its centerpiece.

He proposed that this could be accomplished in winter by plowing radial lines in the surrounding snow.

The Park Service not only approved the idea, but furnished the snowplow needed to do the work.

In 1974, his plan to build three giant pyramids in the Corcoran atrium was modified when it was calculated that the finished structures might cause the floors to collapse.

Mr. Schwebler, who was not only artistic but also practical, quickly substituted a sand-and-chemicals mixture over a plywood structure. "I've become a man of many compromises," he said.

One Washington Post critic wrote that Mr. Schwebler's work combined mathematical and pseudo-magical aesthetics. He used parallel lines to illustrate the power of the sun and phases of the moon. He made use of plate glass, plumb bobs, gold string and silver wire.

By the mid-1970s, his work was being exhibited in the sculpture garden of the Phillips Collection.

Other, perhaps less prestigious, places one could find his work included assorted Northwest Washington sidewalks, which he painted with bright, straight gold arrows and captioned "Magnetic North."

In 1973, a Post critic wrote that Mr. Schwebler's art "gives you two things (among others): a powerful notion that it means something, and no reason to believe you'll ever find out what."

He went on to write that his works were "simulacrums of intelligence, mock-ups of sanity, models of the windows through which we see things. They don't mean 'something' because meaning is what they're about."

Mr. Schwebler was born in Yugoslavia and raised in Germany before coming to this country in 1956 and settling with his family in Wilmington, Del.

He attended Western Maryland College. In addition to his artwork, he had worked as a surveyor and as an editorial assistant at the Washington Evening Star.

He moved to New York in 1980. The next year, he gave a show at the Hudson River Museum in Yonkers.

Survivors include his mother, Eva Schwebler of Wilmington, and two sisters.


Area Psychoanalyst

Gilbert S. Macvaugh Sr., 87, a psychoanalyst who practiced in Chevy Chase for 40 years before retiring in 1986, died of cardiopulmonary disease March 2 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Chevy Chase.

He specialized in problems associated with female sexual frigidity.

He also was the author of "Frigidity: How to Cure it with Hypnosis."

Early in his career, Dr. Macvaugh wrote 38 technical papers for the Public Health Service and developed a "Potential Criminal-Type Inventory" used to predict which prison inmates were most likely to return to prison.

He later wrote three texts used to teach mathematics to children in the first three years of elementary school.

At the time of his death, he was working on three books, including one on religion, one on how to be a good parent, and the other on the question of "what is love?"

Dr. Macvaugh was a native of Philadelphia and a graduate of Dickenson Seminary in Pennsylvania. He came to Washington in 1927, and received bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in psychology. He served a psychological residency at the New York Psychiatric Institute and received training in psychoanalysis under Dr. A.A. Bill.

From 1934 to 1939, he worked with the U.S. Public Health Service at the federal prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. While there, he developed group psychotherapy programs and became chief psychologist.

In 1939, he began a private practice in psychoanalysis in Philadelphia. During World War II, he did battle station aptitude testing for the Navy. He served in Washington and the Pacific and with both the Navy and the Marine Corps.

His marriage to the former Edith Offutt ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, Gilbert Jr., of Greenville, Miss.; a brother, Francis, of Florida; and four grandchildren.


Piano Teacher

Winifred Michaelson Jacobson, 86, who taught music and piano at her Georgetown home from 1955 until the mid-1980s, died of cancer March 3 at her home.

Mrs. Jacobson was a native of Washington and a 1921 graduate of Central High School. She attended George Washington University and graduated from the Juilliard School in New York City. She also worked with community music schools at Juilliard.

During the 1940s, she directed the Wilmington School of Music in Delaware. That school, partially financed by private industry, instructed young and gifted children. Also in the 1940s, she music at Wilson College in Pennsylvania and gave piano recitals in New York.

She returned to Washington in the early 1950s. In addition to her teaching, she performed with area musical groups and played at the Phillips Gallery.

Mrs. Jacobson was a past program chairman of the Friday Morning Music Club. She had been a director of the American Matthay Association, a music group, and had edited its journal.

Her husband, Dr. Ralph A. Jacobson, died in 1948. Her survivors include a sister, Margaret M. Vycital of Gaithersburg.



Mary Moriarty Clifford, 82, a member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Washington who taught in its elementary school from 1957 to 1969, died of cardiac arrest March 2 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Clifford, who came here in 1935, was a native of Holyoke, Mass. She received a teaching degree from Our Lady of the Elms College in Massachusetts in 1926 and did further work in education at Columbia University.

From 1927 to 1933, she taught elementary school in Massachusetts. During this time, she also helped establish programs to feed hungry students attending her school.

Her husband, George Clifford, died in 1972. Her survivors include a son, John M., of Washington; three daughters, Mary Clifford Poor of Sao Paulo, Brazil, Kathleen Macdonough of Southport, Conn., and Ellen Perkins of Chevy Chase; two brothers, Edward T. Moriarty of Silver Spring, and retired Navy Capt. Thomas J. Moriarty of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.; a sister, Julia Badalian of Hartford, Conn.; and 14 grandchildren.


Church Member

Maria B. Curtis, 68, an area resident since 1978 who was a member of the Catholic Church of the Little Flower in Bethesda, died of cancer March 3 at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Curtis was born Maria Isabel Bird y Zaldundo in Puerto Rico. She graduated from the University of Puerto Rico in 1943 and worked in U.S. postal censorship during World War II.

After the war, she spent two years as a secretary-translator in private industry in New Haven, Conn. She moved to Southern California in the early 1950s.

Her husband, Mark H. Curtis, whom she had married in 1945, was president of Scripps College in Claremont, Calif., from 1964 to 1976. During those years, she was active in college life and entertained every student at least once a year at the college president's home.

She also had been a volunteer translator at UCLA Hospital.

In addition to her husband, of Bethesda, her survivors include a daughter, Mary Katherine Curtis of Kensington; a son, Thomas Mark Curtis of Montezuma, N.M.; a sister, Sarin Calderon, and four brothers, Miguel, Arturo, Jorge and Luis Bird, all of Puerto Rico; and three grandchildren.


Montgomery Schools Teacher

John H. Hagyard, 61, a teacher with the Montgomery County Public Schools for 31 years before retiring in 1985, died March 4 at his home in Rockville. He had cancer.

He taught at Gaithersburg and Eastern Junior High schools before transferring to Gaithersburg Senior High about 1970. He was a teacher and job placement coordinator there before retiring.

Mr. Hagyard, who moved here in 1954, was a native of Pennsylvania. He served with the Army in Europe during the Korean War. He was a graduate of Shippensburg State College in Pennsylvania and received a master's degree in education administration at Pennsylvania State University.

He was a life member of the National Education Association, and a member of the Montgomery County Retired Teachers Associaton, the American Legion and St. Mary Magdalene Episcopal Church in Wheaton.

Survivors include his wife, Romayne, of Rockville; and two brothers, William and Robert, and a sister, Gladys Hagyard, all of Philipsburg, Pa.


NSA Employee

Susanna Crowden Laine, 68, a research analyst with the National Security Agency from 1958 to 1964, died of cancer March 4 at her home in South Orleans, Mass.

She had lived in this area from 1952 to 1980. She was a former resident of Chevy Chase, Rockville and Washington.

Mrs. Laine was born in Scotland and attended the Royal College of Music in London. She came to the United States in 1944.

She lived in New Jersey, New England and Arizona before moving here.

She was a member of Ascension and St. Agnes Episcopal Church in Washington.

Her first husband, John MacSporran, died in 1960. Survivors include her husband, Roland Laine of South Orleans, and their daughter, Anne-Marie Litchfield of Chatham, Mass.; three sons by her first marriage, Graham MacSporran of Los Angeles, James MacSporran of Santa Ana, Calif., and Andrew T. Laine of West Yarmouth, Mass.; a brother, Graham Crowden of London; and two sisters, Anne Crowden of Berkeley, Calif., and Helen MacDowel of Auckland, New Zealand.


Marriott Official

Michael Clemenko, 54, a Marriott Corp. official who was active in youth and civic groups, died March 3 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. He had diabetes.

Mr. Clemenko, who moved here and joined Marriott in 1973, was management engineering director in the company's food services management division.

He had served as a director of the Olney Soccer Club and the Montgomery Youth Hockey Club. He had been a member of the Williamsburg Village Civic Association in Olney, the Greater Olney Civic Association, and the Olney Toastmasters.

Mr. Clemenko, who lived in Rockville, was a native of Linden, N.J., and veteran of the Air Force. He received a degree in industrial engineering at the Newark College of Engineering.

Before moving here, he had been a management consultant in New Jersey.

He was a member of St. John's Episcopal Church in Olney.

Survivors include his wife, Judith P., and two sons, Michael James and Andrew Charles, all of Rockville; a brother, Peter, of Dunedin, Fla.; and two sisters, Tillie Dziok of Cranford, N.J., and Helen Rifenbury of Long Island.