Defense Analyst

Mary Lawler Call, 67, a retired military analyst at the Defense Department, died of a brain tumor May 23 at her home in Arlington.

Mrs. Call was born in Baltimore. She grew up in Indiana and graduated from Indiana University. During World War II, she came to Washington to work for Army intelligence.

In 1950, she married Donald M. Call, an Army major. She accompanied him on his military assignments in the United States and Europe. He was killed in a car accident in France in 1962.

Mrs. Call then returned to the Washington area and worked as an analyst at the Defense Department. She retired in 1982.

There are no immediate survivors.


Teacher, NAACP Official

George Bagby Browne Sr., 76, a retired teacher with the D.C. public elementary schools and an official of the D.C. branch of the NAACP, died of a heart attack May 16 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Browne was born in Boston and came to Washington as a boy. He graduated from Dunbar High School and West Virginia State College and received a master's degree in education from the University of Florida.

He began teaching in the D.C. public schools during World War II. He later moved to Ohio. He was an elementary school teacher there for four years until 1949, when he returned to Washington. He taught at Powell, Garfield and Barnard Elementary schools before he retired in 1978.

He joined the D.C. branch of the NAACP in the early 1970s, and was a past vice president and assistant secretary. He also was editor of the branch's newsletter, Impact.

Mr. Browne was a member of Metropolitan Baptist Church in Washington and was active in its Men's Club and the Willing Workers Club.

He was a former scoutmaster and a member of the National Education Association and the D.C. Teachers Union.

His marriage to Florine Hawkins Browne ended in divorce.

Survivors include four children, George B. Browne Jr. of Washington, Michael A. Browne of Forest Heights, Joyce E. Davis of Springfield and Vicki J. Browning of Andrews Air Force Base; his father, William A. Browne of Columbia; a stepbrother, retired Army Col. William Phillips, also of Columbia; 12 grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


State Department Official

Carlton Raymond Savage, 92, a retired State Department official who had been executive secretary of the policy planning committee, the department's long-range think tank, died May 14 at the Fernwood House retirement home in Bethesda after a heart attack.

Mr. Savage, who had lived in Washington, was born in Salem, Ore. He graduated from the University of Oregon and received a master's degree in international law from George Washington University.

He joined the State Department in 1927. Among his early assignments was preparing U.S. diplomatic correspondence of World War I for publication and a two-volume study on U.S. maritime policy during the war.

He was an aide to Secretary of State Cordell Hull during the 1930s and the World War II years, and in that capacity represented Hull on the U.S. delegation at the organization conference of the United Nations in San Francisco in 1945.

Mr. Savage became executive secretary of the policy planning committee when it was established by Secretary of State George C. Marshall, and served under the chairmanships of George Kennan and Paul Nitze. He retired from the State Department in 1962.

Mr. Savage was author of a book, "War and Peace: U.S. Foreign Policy, 1931 to 1941." It was published by the State Department in 1943 and became a best seller.

His first wife, the former Beth Godbold, died in 1938. His marriage to the former Shirley Payne ended in divorce. His third wife, Wilberta Ripley Savage, died in 1982.

Survivors include a daughter of his first marriage, Anne Savage Nay of Lexington, Va.; a son of his second marriage, Paul Low of Riverdale; and a brother, Frances Charles Savage of Portland, Ore.


St. Alban's Volunteer

Teresa P. Wood, 88, a volunteer with the Florence Crittenton Home and the Opportunity Shop at St. Alban's Episcopal Church, died of Alzheimer's disease May 20 at the Georgetown Retirement Residence in Washington.

Mrs. Wood was born in San Jose, Costa Rica. She grew up there and in Washington, and attended Central High School here. She completed her education in Switzerland and lived in Venezuela until returning here in 1955.

Her husband, Judson Wood, died in 1976.

Survivors include two children, Judson Wood Jr. and Tessita O'Daniel, both of San Antonio; four grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


Army Procurement Officer

Robert Edward Hentges, 69, a retired civilian procurement officer at the Army Materiel Command and a retired Army chief warrant officer, died of cancer May 23 at his home in Bowie.

Mr. Hentges was a native of Iowa. He entered the Army during World War II and served in North Africa and Europe as an infantryman. He later saw duty in Korea during the war there.

He spent most of the rest of his military career in the Corps of Engineers. His last assignment was at Fort Bragg, N.C. He retired from active duty in 1962. His military decorations included the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars and four Army Commendation Medals.

He then settled in the Washington area and went to work for the Army Materiel Command. He retired a second time in 1979. His awards included a Meritorious Civilian Service Award from the Department of the Army.

Survivors include his wife of 33 years, retired Army Maj. Elsie Clise Hentges of Bowie; a sister, Mary Faust of Longville, Minn.; and five brothers, LeRoy Hentges of Portland, Ore., Aloysius Hentges of Madison, Wis., Leonard Hentges of Daytona Beach, Fla., Vincent Hentges of Hiawatha, Iowa, and Joseph Hentges of Safety Harbor, Fla.



Louis J. Farri, 73, who had operated restaurants in Washington and suburban Maryland, died of cancer May 25 at his home in Camp Springs.

Mr. Farri was born in Walston, Pa., and moved to the Washington area 50 years ago. During World War II he served in the Army.

He had operated Farri's restaurants in Washington and the Roma Inn in Oxon Hill. He was one of the original owners of the Port of Italy restaurant in Temple Hills. He retired about five years ago after having operated the Old Forge Inn in Waldorf, Md.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Florence Mathieson Farri, and two brothers, Joseph A. and Emilio R. Farri, all of Camp Springs.


Painter, Softball Pitcher

Wilbur A. Boteler Sr., 68, a retired painter who as a young man had been a champion softball pitcher, died May 24 at Physicians Memorial Hospital in La Plata, Md., after a stroke.

Mr. Boteler, who lived in Mechanicsville, Md., was born in Washington. He served in the Navy during World War II.

He worked as a painter from 1946 to 1984, primarily in commercial and government office buildings. He had worked for Myers Christiansen Co. in Kensington and for the office of the Architect of the Capitol.

From the mid-1940s until 1967, he was a standout in Washington's fast pitch softball leagues, winning city championships in 1960 and 1961 playing for a Holiday Inn team, and in 1964 playing for Maxie's Lancers. He pitched 51 no-hit games and gained a place in the Washington area Softball Hall of Fame.

In 1960 at Griffith Stadium, Mr. Boteler defeated "The King and His Court," a four-man exhibition team led by Eddie Feigner, which toured the country regularly beating local 10-man teams.

Survivors include his wife, Jean Boteler of Mechanicsville; 10 children, Jean Ann Parks, Margaret M. Boteler, Catherine V. Boteler, Wilbur A. Boteler Jr. and Joseph Ernest Boteler, all of Mechanicsville, Patricia A. Baiers of Hillcrest Heights, Mary E. Dixon of Waldorf, Md., Brian M. Boteler of Brandywine, Timothy D. Boteler of Prince Frederick, Md., and Scott K. Boteler of Bel Alton, Md.; 35 grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


Real Estate Broker

Elizabeth S. Gordy, 69, a retired Ocean City, Md., real estate broker and a native of Washington, died of cancer May 25 at Peninsula General Hospital in Salisbury, Md.

Mrs. Gordy, a graduate of Roosevelt High School in Washington, attended Mary Washington College in Fredericksburg, Va. During World War II she served in the Women's Army Corps.

She had lived in Ocean City since about 1940.

From 1950 until she retired in 1985, Mrs. Gordy operated Real Estate Enterprises, a brokerage specializing in all types of real estate. For several years she also had managed Berkeley Hall Guest House "for young ladies only" during the summers in Ocean City.

She was a former president of the Coastal Board of Realtors, the Ocean City Woman's Club and the Berlin-Ocean City Soroptomist Club, and was a member of St. Paul's By-the-Sea Episcopal Church in Ocean City and the American Legion Auxiliary.

As a young woman, Mrs. Gordy had been a back-stroke swimming champion. During the 1950s, she taught children in Ocean City to swim as a Red Cross volunteer.

Her husband, Harold B. Gordy Sr., died in 1950.

Survivors include two children, Harold B. Gordy Jr. of Ocean City and Elizabeth Arvidson of Mill Valley, Calif.; a sister, Margaret S. Hall of Ocean City; and four grandchildren.