Henry Segal, 81, rabbi emeritus of Congregation B'nai Israel in Rockville who was active in Zionist groups, died of a heart ailment May 27 at his home in Rockville.
In 1937, Rabbi Segal came to Washington as rabbi of B'nai Israel, then located in Washington. Under his leadership, the congregation grew from about two hundred families to more than a thousand.
He also founded the B'nai Israel Hebrew School. He became known for his oratory and pastoral counseling. When he retired as rabbi emeritus in 1973, he was dean of the Washington Rabbinate.
He was a past president of the Rabbinical Assembly Region of Greater Washington and the Jewish Educators Council of Washington. He also had been vice president of the Washington Board of Rabbis and had served on the steering committee of the Washington region of the National Conference of Christians and Jews.
He also was active in the Jewish Community Council of Greater Washington, the Jewish National Fund and the Louis D. Brandeis Zionist district of the Zionist Organization of America. He had been active in the Zionist movement since the 1930s.
Rabbi Segal was born in Jerusalem, where his father, Baruch Segal, worked as a scribe copying the Torah. The elder Segal came to this country in 1914 and established himself as principal of the Central Torah Talmud School in Scranton, Pa., before sending for his family. The family was caught in Vienna during World War I. It was not until March 1921 that the future rabbi arrived in this country. He spent the remainder of his youth in Scranton.
Rabbi Segal received an undergraduate degree from City College of New York in 1931 and a degree from the theological seminary of Yeshiva University in 1930. He not only attended both schools at the same time, but also worked as a librarian and Hebrew teacher during those years.
In 1931, he became rabbi of a congregation in Newburgh, N.Y. Two years later, he became rabbi at a synagogue in Albany, N.Y., where he served until coming to the Washington area.
Survivors include his wife, the former Yetta Tabachnick, of Rockville; two sons, Amiel, of Potomac, and Daniel, of Philadelphia; a daughter, Judith Robbins of Providence, R.I.; two brothers, Joseph, of Washington, and Julius, of Bethesda; a sister, Mildred Harris of Scranton; eight grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.
CARL R. SIMON
Carl R. Simon, 88, a retired Lutheran minister who had served as vice president of the Washington Council of Churches, died May 26 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. He had ischemic bowel disease, a circulatory disorder.
Dr. Simon, an area resident since 1945, had lived at the National Lutheran Home in Rockville for the past eight years.
He was a native of Cincinnati and a graduate of the Gettysburg Seminary in Pennsylvania. He also was a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Gettysburg College, where he later was awarded an honorary doctorate.
He was a minister at Lutheran churches in Pennsylvania from 1926 until coming to the Washington area. He was minister of Keller Memorial Lutheran Church in Washington from 1945 to 1962. He then served as chaplain at the National Lutheran Home, then located in Washington, until retiring in 1969.
Dr. Simon had served on the board of the Lutheran Inner Mission Society.
His wife of 63 years, the former Thelma Stitzel, died in 1989. Survivors include two sons, Robert, of Carlisle, Pa., and Geoffrey, of Bethesda; two sisters, Lois Simon and Alice Biden, both of Baltimore; and seven grandchildren.
PETER J. HANNA
Peter J. Hanna, 74, a dentist who maintained a private practice in Alexandria for 36 years before retiring in 1986, died May 27 at Mount Vernon Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Alexandria.
In addition to his private practice, he had served on the staff of Alexandria Hospital from the mid-1950s to the mid-1960s.
Dr. Hanna, who came here in the mid-1940s, was a native of Clifton Forge, Va. He graduated from what was then the Virginia Polytechnic Institute in 1938 with a degree in chemical engineering.
He graduated from Georgetown University's dental school in 1950. During World War II, he served with the Army in Europe.
He was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Alexandria and the Belle Haven Country Club. He was a fourth-degree Knight of Columbus.
Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Patricia Elizabeth Hanna of Alexandria; a son, Peter Jr., of Reston; a daughter, Patsi Maureen Meyer of Portsmouth, R.I.; two sisters, Elsie and Mary Hanna, both of Covington, Va.; and six grandchildren.
HARRY C. LAMBERT III
Harry C. Lambert III, 62, director of marketing management in the Washington office of the Loral Corp., a defense electronics equipment firm, died of cancer May 27 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Bethesda.
Mr. Lambert moved to the Washington area in 1964 and joined the Bunker-Ramo Corp., a Silver Spring electronics company, as an electronics technician.
In 1977, he joined the marketing branch of the HRB Singer Corp. in Washington. He worked there until joining Loral in 1989.
He was a member of Christ Episcopal Church in Georgetown, Congressional Country Club, the Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association and the Association of Old Crows, an electronics organization. His hobbies included golf, hunting wildfowl, power boating and flying.
His first marriage, to Inez Lambert, ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife, Joan, of Bethesda; four children by his first marriage; six stepchildren; and nine grandchildren.
CLEVELAND H. GOODE
Cleveland H. Goode, 67, an insurance agent in Waldorf with People's Security Life for 30 years before retiring for health reasons in 1967, died of a cerebral hemmorhage May 27 at Southern Maryland Hospital in Clinton. He had a heart ailment.
Mr. Goode, who lived in Indian Head, Md., was born in Pisgah, Md. He was a graduate of Lackey High School in Indian Head.
He flew from carriers as a Navy pilot in the Pacific during World War II.
He was a member of Potomac Heights Baptist Church in Indian Head. Over the years, he had been a chaplain at jails in Charles and Saint Mary's counties.
Survivors include his wife, Rose W. Goode, and two daughters, Gay Morgan and Cynthia Howells, all of Indian Head; a sister, Bernadette C. Dawson of Edgewater, Md.; two brothers, Wilson R., of Indian Head, and John C., of Marbury, Md.; and four grandchildren.
WILBUR T. WEAVER
FTC News Director
Wilbur T. Weaver, 70, retired news director of the Federal Trade Commission, died May 25 at his home in Allentown, Pa., after a heart attack.
Mr. Weaver was born in Bethlehem, Pa. He served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific during World War II.
He moved to the Washington area and began working for the Federal Trade Commission in 1947. He retired in 1978. He had received two Superior Service awards.
A former resident of Hyattsville, Mr. Weaver moved to Allentown on his retirement.
In this area, he had coached baseball and basketball with the Lewisdale Boys Club and had been active in the Lane Manor Citizens Association.
Survivors include his wife, Kathleen Hiller Weaver of Allentown; a son, Robert J. Weaver of Williamstown, N.J.; and a brother, Edgar Weaver of Bethlehem.