The jailed man wanted two women killed, both witnesses in a case against him, according to court testimony. So he put the word out and before long a hit man visited him. A month later, there were color photographs of the women, a mother and daughter, each shot in the head.

But the women weren't dead. And the hit man was actually a member of the D.C. police Repeat Offenders Project, an investigative unit that specializes in undercover work.

That was the scenario outlined yesterday to D.C. Superior Court Judge Warren R. King.

Seated before the judge was George Michael McClain Jr., 24, of Northwest Washington, the man who, according to prosecutors, served as the go-between in the alleged murder conspiracy. McLain, charged with conspiracy to commit murder and obstruction of justice, was named by police as the man who paid an undercover officer $1,200 to kill the women. McLain, who denies the charge, was held without bond pending trial in July.

Sgt. Donald Lyddane, who was in charge of the police sting operation, told the court that police got word that Russell A. Anderson Jr., who was being held at D.C. Jail on a rape charge, wanted two women killed. Police sent an undercover officer in to talk with Anderson in April.

Lyddane testfied that, at the meeting, Anderson "said he needed to bump them off before they testified against him, stated their address and stated that there would be $1,200 to cover the contract." The hit man was to be paid by a friend of Anderson's named Mike, Lyddane said.

Anderson, 24, is charged with 12 counts including armed robbery and armed rape. According to court records, an 18-year-old woman was waiting for a bus along North Capitol Street early one morning in January when two men, one armed with a gun, forced her to return to her house. They tied up the woman's mother and the woman, who was then raped by both men.

The men then stole some jewelry and left the house, according to court records. Later that night, police arrested Anderson on another charge and connected him to the rape, court records said.

Mary Kennedy, Anderson's lawyer, who attended the hearing for McLain, said afterward that Anderson maintains his innocence. He has not been charged in the alleged murder conspiracy.

Lyddane said in court testimony that McLain, the man who was known to police as Mike, took the undercover officer on May 21 to see the house in Northeast Washington where the mother and daughter lived.

"Mike also stated he would like to see the bodies as verification," Lyddane said. At that point, the undercover officer was paid $600 as a down payment, Lyddane said.

On May 24, the undercover officer met again with McLain and "advised Mike that the job had been completed. He advised Mike he had dumped the bodies down around Waldorf, Maryland . . . . He saw the photographs but he still wanted verification, to see the bodies." At this point, McLain was arrested, Lyddane said.

Later, armed with a search warrant, police found letters at McLain's home from Anderson instructing him to "get the {victim's} phone number and call her up and threaten her so she won't testify," Lyddane said in court.

"The second letter said . . . it was time to get serious and he had to 'do' both witnesses," Lyddane testified.

Lyddane said the women were in a safe location outside of the District.