John S. Forsythe, 75, a retired Washington lawyer and a former general counsel of the Senate Committee on Labor and Public Welfare, died of cardiac arrest May 27 at a Veterans Administration hospital in Martinsburg, W.Va. He had had a stroke.

Mr. Forsythe, who lived in Alexandria, was a native of Beaver Falls, Pa. He graduated from Geneva College in his native town and from the Duke University law school.

He came to Washington in 1939 as a lawyer with the Labor Department. During World War II, he served in the Navy in Europe. He remained in the Naval Reserve until 1975 and retired with the rank of captain.

In 1945, Mr. Forsythe became general counsel for the House Committee on Education and Labor. In 1955, after a year as general counsel of the Federal Coal Mine Safety Board of Review, he was named general counsel of the Senate Labor Committee.

In 1970, he became associate general counsel for the Life Insurance Association of America. In 1980, he went to work for the Washington law firm of White, Fine & Verville. He retired in 1984.

His marriage to Mary R. Forsythe ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Patria Forsythe of Alexandria; two children from his first marriage, Carol Sperry of Arlington and Richard Forsythe of Port Orange, Fla.; a stepson, Gerard Winalski of Alexandria; and a grandchild.


Tile Distributor

Clyde N. Morris, 74, a founder of Morris Tile Distributors, which operates six locations in Maryland and Virginia, died May 27 at Washington Hospital Center after a heart attack.

Mr. Morris, who lived in College Park, was born in Littleton, N.C.

He moved to the Washington area shortly after World War II and was a tile contractor before opening Morris Tile Distributors in 1952. He managed the business until his death.

The company was named Tile Distributor of the Year in 1989 by an association of tile manufacturers.

His wife, Roberta Morris, died in 1988.

Survivors include a daughter, Sally Teague of Silver Spring; two grandsons, and a great-grandchild.



Geraldine B. Reams, 84, a former West Virginia schoolteacher and undertaker, died May 30 at Fairfax Hospital. She had cancer.

Mrs. Reams, who lived at the Virginian Retirement Community in Fairfax, was born in Matewan, W.Va. She attended the College of William and Mary and West Virginia University and graduated from Marshall University in West Virginia.

She taught school in Matewan for 45 years and operated the Chambers Funeral Home there. She moved to the Washington area in 1981.

Her husband, Allen A. Reams, died in 1965.

Survivors include a son, Patrick A. Reams of Arlington, and two brothers, James A. and Thomas D. Blankenship, both of Perry, Fla.