Archibald B. Roosevelt Jr., 72, a retired intelligence officer who served as chief of the Central Intelligence Agency's stations in Istanbul, Madrid and London, died yesterday at his home in Washington. He had congestive heart failure.

A grandson of President Theodore Roosevelt and a soldier, scholar, linguist and authority on the Middle East, Mr. Roosevelt viewed his calling -- and its faceless, anonymous half-world of nuance and seemingly random fact -- with a hard-headed realism leavened by a kind of romanticism that has echoes of an earlier time.

After retiring from the CIA in 1974, he became a vice president of Chase Manhattan Bank and director of international relations in its Washington office. Well known in Washington social circles in his own right, he was particulary active on the diplomatic circuit during the Reagan administration, when his wife, Selwa Showker "Lucky" Roosevelt, was chief of protocol at the State Department.

In 1988, he published a memoir called "For Lust of Knowing: Memoirs of an Intelligence Officer," in which he adhered so strictly to his oath to keep the CIA's secrets that he did not even identify the countries where he had served. And although he was happy to tell interviewers that they could figure it out from his entry in "Who's Who in America," he also was quick to explain that some Americans have forgotten what an oath is and that he would not break his even if the government told him to.

Instead, he gave his views on such questions as the nature of the CIA and why it attracted him, and on what intelligence officers should be and how they should see themselves in relation to their own country and the rest of the world.

"We in the CIA were always conscious of having a special mission, of being the reconaissance patrols of our government," he wrote. Despite such vicissitudes as the Bay of Pigs diasaster in Cuba in 1961, he said, the agency kept its esprit de corps even though with the passage of time it "was no longer a band of pioneers, but an organization."

As for intelligence officers, Mr. Roosevelt said he thought of them in "the old-fashioned sense, perhaps best exemplified in fiction by Kipling's British political officers in India."

His notion embodied a high ideal, indeed, for the intelligence officer "must be able to empathize with true believers of every stripe in order to understand and analyze them. . . . He must, like Chairman Mao's guerrillas, be able to swim in foreign seas. But then he must be able to pull himself to shore, and look back calmly, objectively, on the waters that immersed him."

Most important, he said, the intelligence officer "must not only know whose side he is on, but have a deep conviction that he is on the right side. He should not imitate the cynical protagonists of John Le Carre's novels, essentially craftsmen who find their side no less amoral than the other."

The author of these views was, by his own account, the product of a "conventional, Waspish, preppy world" and was destined for a conventional career on Wall Street. He managed to escape this fate, he said, because he "lived in another world of my imagination."

Archibald Bulloch Roosevelt Jr. was born in Boston on Feb. 18, 1918. He graduated from Groton School and then went to Harvard, where he graduated in the class of 1940. While an undergraduate, he was chosen as a Rhodes Scholar, but was not able to accept because of the outbreak of World War II in Europe. His first job was working for a newspaper in Seattle.

During the war, he became an Army intelligence officer. He accompanied U.S. troops in their landing in North Africa in 1942 and soon began to form views on the French colonial administration and the beginnings of Arab nationalism. Later in the war he was a military attache' in Iraq and Iran.

In 1947, he joined the Central Intelligence Group, the immediate forerunner of the CIA. From 1947 to 1949, he served in Beirut. On that and on all of his subsequent assignments abroad, he was listed in official registers as a State Department official.

From 1949 to 1951, he was in New York as head of the Near East section of the Voice of America. From 1951 to 1953, he was station chief in Istanbul. From 1953 to 1958, he had several jobs at CIA headquarters in Washington. In 1958, he was made CIA station chief in Spain. From 1962 to 1966 he held the same job in London. He finished his career in Washington.

Through it all he pursued an interest in languages. A Latin and Greek scholar when he was a boy, he had a speaking or reading knowledge of perhaps 20 languages, including French, Spanish, German, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew, Swahili and Uzbek.

Mr. Roosevelt's marriage to the former Katherine W. Tweed ended in divorce.

In addition to Selwa Roosevelt, to whom he was married for 40 years, survivors include a son by his first marriage, Tweed Roosevelt of Boston, and two grandchildren.


FAA Official

Joseph D. Blatt, 77, a retired associate administrator for development at the Federal Aviation Administration and a recipient of the agency's Exceptional Service Award, died of cancer May 30 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. Blatt, a resident of Washington, was born in New York City. He graduated from the City College of New York, where he also received a master's degree in civil engineering.

In 1937, he moved to Washington and went to work for the Bureau of Air Commerce, a predecessor of the FAA. He remained with that and successor agencies throughout his federal career. As a field engineer, he specialized in the development of airport and traffic control facilities. From 1957 to 1960, he was the New York regional manager for the FAA. He then returned to headquarters in Washington.

After his retirement in 1970, Mr. Blatt became a consultant on aviation matters. Among his clients was the government of Israel.

Mr. Blatt was a fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers and in 1981 he received its Robert Horonjeff Award. In 1960, he was designated an outstanding graduate of City College of New York.

He was a member of the Society of Airways Pioneers, the Wings Club and the Aero Club of Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Ethel "Eddie" Blatt of Washington.


FBI Agent

Francis Xavier Jahn Sr., 80, a retired FBI agent and past president of the Maryland Law Enforcement Officers Association, died of heart ailments May 30 at his home in Lanham.

Mr. Jahn was born in Washington. He graduated from Gonzaga College High School and St. Charles College of Baltimore. He received law degrees from Columbus Law School.

He was appointed a special agent in the FBI in 1936. He served in South Dakota, Kentucky, Missouri and Washington state before being transferred to the Baltimore field office in 1947. He was in charge of the Hyattsville office until he retired in 1961.

For the next 15 years, Mr. Jahn was in charge of security at the Westinghouse plant in Glen Burnie, Md. From 1976 to 1978, he was an assistant state's attorney in Prince George's County.

He was a past president of the Maryland chapter of the International Association of Chiefs of Police and a member of the Maryland and D.C. Bar associations, the Knights of Columbus, the Prince George's County Elks Club and the parish of St. Bernard's Catholic Church in Riverdale.

His first wife, the former Mary Augusta Kennedy, died in 1973.

Survivors include his wife, Winifred Louise Jahn of Lanham; four children by his first marriage, Mary Carol Schlegel of Bowie, Mary Elizabeth Whidden of Bradenton, Fla., William Carl Jahn of Hyattsville, and Paul Joseph Jahn of Clinton; a stepdaughter, Beverley Ann Jones of Owings Mills, Md.; a sister, Marianne J. Konzelman of Sea Girt, N.J.; 14 grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

Another son, Francis Xavier Jahn Jr., died in 1982.


Navy Officer

Robert M. Petty, 78, a retired Navy commander who was a civilian employee of the Navy's electronic systems command, died of heart and kidney ailments May 19 at the Freedom Care Pavilion in Bradenton, Fla.

Cmdr. Petty, a resident of Bradenton, lived in Annandale from about 1960 until he moved to Florida in 1988. He was born in Columbus, Ohio, and grew up there and in Georgia. He graduated from Georgia Tech.

He began his Navy career in World War II, serving in the Pacific. He also was a veteran of the Korean War. He was a communications officer stationed in Washington when he retired in 1964. He then went to work for the electronic systems command, and he retired there in 1977.

Cmdr. Petty was a member of Calvary Baptist Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth D. Petty of Bradenton; a son, Robert M. Petty Jr. of Toledo; a brother, William H. Petty Jr. of Jacksonville, Fla.; and a granddaughter.


Defense Department Engineer

Ralph Emerson Talley, 70, a retired electrical engineer at the Defense Department, died of a pulmonary embolism May 28 at Mount Vernon Hospital.

Mr. Talley, who lived in Alexandria, was a native of West Virginia. He graduated from Virginia Tech.

He entered the Army during World War II and served in Europe. He served in Korea during the war there as a Signal Corps company commander. Between the wars, his assignments included duty as a social aide at the White House.

He left the Army in 1952 with the rank of captain. He then joined the Defense Department as an electrical engineer. He was a technical adviser in the Combat Developments Command when he retired in 1973.

Survivors include his wife of 39 years, Lona Simpson Talley of Alexandria; two sons, Craig Talley of Alexandria and Eric Talley of Allentown, N.J.; a brother, Dr. Bernard Cole Talley of Hillsville, Va.; and a grandchild.



Eula W. Wake, 84, a retired elementary school teacher with the Montgomery County public school system, died May 29 at Sibley Memorial Hospital after a heart attack. She had pneumonia.

Mrs. Wake, who lived in Silver Spring, was a native of North Carolina. She graduated from Duke University. She taught in the public schools in North Carolina before coming to the Washington area during World War II.

In 1945, she became a teacher with the Montgomery public schools. She taught at Silver Spring Intermediate School and at Rock Creek and North Chevy Chase elementary schools. She retired in 1971.

Mrs. Wake was a member of St. Paul's United Methodist Church in Kensington, the Montgomery County Retired Teachers Association, the Silver Spring Women's Club and the North Carolina State Society of Washington.

Her husband, Harry Wake, died in 1979.

Survivors include three sisters, Carrie W. Hamlet of Wilson, N.C., Flora W. Stanley of Durham, N.C., and Katherine Wilson of Greensboro, N.C.