Constantine G. "Gus" Yeonas, 73, a Northern Virginia builder and a former president of the Yeonas Co., a noted real estate development firm in the Washington area, died of cancer June 1 at George Washington University Hospital.

The Yeonas Co. was founded in 1946 by George C. Yeonas, a Greek immigrant who was chairman until he died in 1974. Constantine Yeonas, who was one of George Yeonas's sons, joined the business in 1955. He was named executive vice president in 1964 and president in 1972. He continued in that position until 1978, when he stepped down.

Among the projects built by the Yeonas Co. over the years were Vienna Woods, which had about 2,000 homes, and Mosby Woods and Dunn Loring, all in Fairfax County, and Flower Valley in Montgomery County. By the time Constantine Yeonas left the presidency, the firm had built an estimated 12,000 homes.

The Yeonas Co. became a subsidiary of the Olin Corp. of Stamford, Conn., in 1969, but the founding family remained active in it for many years. After he retired, Constantine Yeonas founded the Olympic Development Corp., a building company in McLean, and headed it until his death.

A native of Norfolk, he grew up there and in Washington, where he graduated from Central High School. He attended George Washington University and the Columbia Technical Institute. During World War II, he was a captain in the Army Air Forces and served in the South Pacific. While in the military, he also attended a school for statistical officers at Harvard University. He studied real estate at the University of Denver.

In addition to his work as a builder, Mr. Yeonas was a past chairman of the Providence Savings and Loan Association. He also was a director of the Home Builders Association of Northern Virginia and a member of the Bureau of Building Research, the National Association of Home Builders and the Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral. He lived in Arlington.

In 1964, he received the Paul J. Laverone Award from the Columbia Technical Institute for his contributions to real estate.

Survivors include his wife, the former Mary J. Chaconas, whom he married in 1949, of Arlington; two children, Lynn Yeonas Scalise and George C. Yeonas, both of McLean; two brothers, Jimmy G. Yeonas of Vienna and Stephen G. Yeonas of Arlington; and four grandchildren.



F. Regis Riesenman, 81, an Arlington psychiatrist and neurologist and a frequent lecturer on parapsychology and extrasensory perception, died June 1 at Arlington Hospital. He had Parkinson's disease.

Dr. Riesenman, a resident of Arlington, was born in Franklin, Pa. He graduated from St. Vincent's College in Latrobe, Pa., and then went to Georgetown University, where he received a medical degree in 1940. During World War II, he served in the Army Medical Corps.

In 1947 he established a private practice in psychiatry and neurology, and he continued it until retiring in 1980. He also was a staff psychiatrist at St. Elizabeths Hospital, a director of the Virginia Health Department's alcoholic rehabilitation clinic in Northern Virignia and a consultant and expert witness in the Virginia, D.C. and federal courts.

As a student of parapsychology and extrasensory perception, Dr. Riesenman lectured to about 1,500 groups around the country. An amateur magician, he included card tricks in his talks about phenomena that have no apparent explanation, and he also appeared on radio and television.

Dr. Riesenman was a member of the American Psychiatric Association, the Knights of Columbus and the St. Agnes Catholic Church.

Survivors include his wife, Victoria W. Riesenman, whom he married in 1943, of Arlington; seven children, Robert R. Riesenman of Hammond, Ind., Victor and Mary Riesenman, both of Arlington, Carolyn Riesenman of Falls Church, Michael Riesenman of Springfield, John Riesenman of Colton, Calif., and Victoria Myers of Falls Church; a sister, Cecelia Ellis of Green Valley, Ariz.; a brother, Martin Riesenman of Franklin; and seven grandchildren.


Administrative Law Judge

Sidney Ullman, 79, a retired administrative law judge at the Securities and Exchange Commission and a past president of the National Conference of Administrative Law Judges, died May 31 at a nursing home in Montclair, N.J. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Ullman, a resident of Bethesda until going to New Jersey for medical treatment in 1989, was born in Weehawken, N.J. He attended Dickinson College and then went to the University of Michigan, where he received bachelor's and law degrees. He was editor of the law review at Michigan.

During World War II, he served in the Army Air Corps. He was stationed in Washington and remained here after the war.

He worked for the Office of Alien Property and then the antitrust division in the Justice Department. In 1962, he went to the SEC as an administrative law judge. He retired in 1979.

A former resident of Silver Spring, he was president of the Oakview Citizens Association there. He also had been president of the Washington chapter of the University of Michigan Alumni Association.

Survivors include his wife, the former Lillian Kaufman of Bethesda; a daughter, Jane Nadler of South Orange, N.J.; a sister, Florence Ullman of Jersey City; and two grandchildren.


Agricultural Attache

Richard Arthur Owen Schwartz, 88, a retired member of the Foreign Agricultural Service of the Department of Agriculture, died of Alzheimer's disease May 30 at the Sharon Nursing Home in Olney.

Mr. Schwartz, a resident of Rockville, was born in London. He grew up there and in Germany.

He began his federal career in 1925, when he went to work for the U.S. consulate in Berlin keeping accounts and managing the office. Except for brief periods in Oslo and Ottawa, he remained there until coming to the United States in 1938.

During World War II, he was attached to a British food mission. He then joined the Foreign Agricultural Service. His overseas assignments included Austria, West Germany, Trinidad, the Dominican Republic and Zaire. He also had several assignments in Washington. He retired in 1970.

He was a member of DACOR (Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired), the Kenwood Golf & Country Club and St. David's Episcopal Church.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Dorothy Nesbitt Schwartz of Rockville; two children, Kent R. O. Schwartz of Rockville and Sandra Schwartz Isbister of Ellicott City; a brother, Laurence C. A. Schwartz of Cleveland Heights, Ohio; a sister, Winifred Schwartz of Lakewood, Ohio; and two grandchildren.


Army Historian

David Jaffe, 79, a retired senior editor at the Department of the Army's Center for Military History who also was an authority on the writings of Herman Melville, died May 26 at his home in Arlington after a heart attack.

Mr. Jaffe was born in Poland. He came with his family to the United States in 1912 and grew up in Durham, N.C. He graduated from Duke University, where he also received a master's degree in English.

After working as a journalist in North Carolina and New York City, he came to the Washington area in 1948 and joined the Center for Military History. He was senior editor from 1961 until he retired in 1976.

In addition to numerous articles he contributed to literary journals, Mr. Jaffe wrote several books on the works of Melville, including "The Stormy Petrel and the Whale: Some Origins of Moby Dick" and " 'Bartleby the Scrivner' and 'Bleak House:' Melville's Debt to Dickens."

Survivors include his wife, Sylvia Jaffe of Arlington; and six sisters, Ethel Margolis and Shirley Peltz, both of Newport News, Va., Lillian Klaff and Ruth White, both of Houston, Florence Ganderson of Virginia Beach and Rosemae Castleton of Laguna Beach, Calif.


Agriculture Official

Edwin H. Matzen, 80, a retired official at the Department of Agriculture who later worked as an appraiser and salesman for Allied Realty Corp. in Bethesda, died of a brain tumor May 31 at his home in Bethesda.

Dr. Matzen was a native of Iowa. He graduated from Iowa State University and received master's and doctoral degrees in agriculture economics from Cornell University.

He taught at Purdue University and the University of Missouri before coming to the Washington area in 1948 to join the Department of Agriculture. When he retired in 1972, he was chief of the sugar quota allotments section at Agriculture's Commodities Stabilization Service.

He then went to work for Allied Realty. He retired a second time in 1988.

Dr. Matzen was a member of the American Agricultural Economics Association, the Washington Area Group for the Hard of Hearing and Chevy Chase United Methodist Church.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Mary Margaret Postill Matzen of Bethesda; two children, Martin W. Matzen of Washington and M. Marlene Matzen-Nothstein of Silver Spring; three brothers; a sister; and three grandchildren.



Catherine Bernice Ekstrom, 72, a retired secretary with the Army Corps of Engineers and a former Alexandria resident, died of respiratory arrest May 23 at a hospital in Gainesville, Fla. She lived in Lady Lake, Fla.

Mrs. Ekstrom was born in Utah. She grew up in Peoria, Ill., where she attended Bradley University and worked as a secretary. She came to the Washington area in 1970 when she went to work with the Army Corps of Engineers. She retired in 1982 and moved to Florida in 1988.

She was a member of the American Businesswomen's Association and the National Secretaries Association.

Her marriages to Charles Ekstrom and Floyd Stanek ended in divorce.

Survivors include three children from her first marriage, Craig C. Ekstrom of Morton, Ill., Brent M. Ekstrom of Reston and Bethea Harding of Trivoli, Ill.; a brother; a sister; six grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.



Frances L. Edelstein, 89, a retired secretary with the D.C. Public Schools, died of a stroke June 1 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mrs. Edelstein, who lived in Bethesda, was born in the Ukraine. She came to the United States with her family in 1906 and settled in New York.

From the late 1920s to the early 1930s, she was a theater critic with the Brooklyn Daily Eagle.

She then moved to the Washington area and went to work for the school system. She retired in the mid-1970s.

Mrs. Edelstein was a founding member and teacher at the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Jewish Community Group.

Her husband, Harry M. Edelstein, died in 1971.

Survivors include two children, Martha Jacobson of Bethesda and Michael Edelstein of New York City; two brothers, Lou and Samuel Lifchitz, both of New York City; a sister, Sylvia Elias of London; and three grandchildren.


Building Contractor

Mark Owen Smith, 94, a retired Bethesda building contractor who had been a deacon and elder at Bethesda Presbyterian Church, died of congestive heart failure May 31 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Bethesda.

Mr. Smith was born in Hagerstown, Md., and grew up in Bethesda. He served in the Navy during World War I.

After the war, he worked as a mechanic in Washington at the White Motor Co., the Capital Traction Co. and Standard Oil Co. During World War II, he was a civilian machinist at the Navy's Torpedo Factory in Alexandria.

He began his construction business after World War II ended. He retired in the early 1970s.

His wife of 60 years, Nina Aikman Smith, died in 1981.

Survivors include two daughters, Marjorie S. Burlingame and Elizabeth S. Hall, both of Bethesda; seven grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.


Printing Engineer

Earl Edwin "Wimpy" Wiemels, 82, the owner of the Wimpy Co., buyers and sellers of printing equipment in Hyattsville, died of a heart attack May 31 at Prince George's Hospital.

Mr. Wiemels, a resident of Hyattsville, was born in Cleveland. About 1935 he went to work for what is now the Harris Co., makers of printing equipment, as a machinist. He installed and serviced equipment.

He was transferred to the Washington area about 1940, and he remained with the company until retiring about 1970. He then started his own firm, and operated it until his death.

Mr. Wiemels was a member of the International Association of Machinists, the Litho Club and St. Ambrose Catholic Church.

His wife, Della T. Wiemels, died in February.

There are no immediate survivors.