Jesse M. MacKnight, 79, a retired Foreign Service officer with the State Department, died of a cerebral hemorrhage June 1 at Washington Adventist Hospital.

Mr. MacKnight was born in New York City. He graduated from Pennsylvania State University and received a master's degree in history and international relations from Clark University in Massachusetts.

He came to the Washington area in 1935 as a field director for the National Council for the Prevention of War, a private organization. He later worked as an independent research analyst before joining the Department of Justice during World War II. He was chief of the organization and analysis section in the department's foreign agents registration unit when he transferred to the State Department in 1945.

After 11 years there as a public affairs officer, he joined the Foreign Service. His overseas assignments included duty in Surinam and Togo. He was director of the office of Eastern and Southern African Affairs from 1963 until 1965, when he transferred to the board of examiners. He retired in 1970.

Mr. MacKnight was a past president of the Montgomery County Council PTA. He was a member of the Takoma Park Lions Club, the Takoma-East Silver Spring Advisory Committee and the League of Women Voters.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Violet MacKnight of Takoma Park; two children, Susan MacKnight of Washington and David MacKnight of Rochester, N.Y.; and two grandchildren.



Winifred H. Woodhull, 69, a retired secretary and lobbying assistant with General Foods, and a past president of the D.C. chapter and Delaware-Maryland-District division of Professional Secretaries International, died of cancer May 31 at her home in Rockville.

Mrs. Woodhull was born in Crabtree, Pa. She graduated from the University of Pittsburgh and moved to the Washington area in 1941.

For the next five years she was on the staff of Rep. Leonard Hall (R-N.Y.). In 1962, after a period devoted to raising her family, she went to work for General Foods. She retired in 1987.

A 41-year member of what is now Professional Secretaries International, she was chairman of its international affairs council and helped organize a literacy project in connection with the 200th anniversary of the U.S. Constitution.

Survivors include her husband of 41 years, John Woodhull of Rockville; two daughters, Barbara Woodhull of Durham, N.C., and Freddie Woodhull of San Diego; and four grandchildren.


Motel Owner

Curtis Money, 82, who owned and operated the Quality Inn Boxwood South motel in Winchester, Va., from 1953 until he retired in 1972, died May 30 at Holy Cross Hospital in Pompano Beach, Fla. He had a stroke.

Mr. Money, a resident of Pompano Beach, was born in Fairax County. As a young man he worked for a Chevrolet dealership and then had his own garage in the Rosslyn section of Arlington. He moved to Winchester in 1953.

He was a member of the Elks Club and the Moose Lodge in Winchester. After retiring, he divided his time between Florida and Ocean City, Md.

Survivors include his wife, Vera Snow Money of Pompano Beach and Ocean City; a son, William C. Money Sr. of Annandale; a sister, Mae E. Dulin of Arlington; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Army Wife

Neva Gonzalez Wing, 77, the wife of a retired Army brigadier general and an area resident from the mid-1960s until she moved to Washington state in 1988, died of sepsis May 23 at a retirement home in Bellevue, Wash.

Mrs. Wing was born in Arizona. She married Franklin F. Wing Jr. in 1937 and accompanied him on his military assignments in the United States and West Germany. Gen. Wing retired from active duty in the mid-1960s.

She had been a member of the Leesburg Garden Club.

In addition to her husband, of Bellevue, survivors include two sons, Robert H. Wing of Redmond, Wash., and Franklin F. Wing III of Melbourne, Ark.; and four grandchildren.



Antoinette DeCoursey Brown, 58, a Red Cross volunteer at the Bethesda Naval Hospital and an area resident since 1979, died of cancer June 1 at her home Reston.

Mrs. Brown was a native of Pennsylvania. She graduated from the University of Colorado and had been a teacher at the Unity of Fairfax Church Of The Daily Word.

Survivors include her husband of 36 years, retired Air Force Col. Frederick D. Brown Jr. of Reston; three children, Barclay Brown of Colorado Springs, Bryan Brown of San Jose, Calif., and Curtiss Brown of Sterling; and a brother, John B. DeCoursey of Raleigh, N.C.


Army Department Secretary

Bertie M. Poston, 95, a retired Army Department secretary, died of a heart ailment May 30 at the Cameron Glen Care Center in Reston.

Miss Poston was a lifelong resident of Fairfax County. She graduated from Castleman's School in Herndon and attended the Corcoran School of Art. She became a clerk-typist in the old War Department about 1915. She retired from the Army Department in the mid-1960s.

She had been an organist at the United Christian Church in Reston.

There are no immediate survivors.


AID Official

James W. Manley, 45, an international affairs specialist with the Agency for International Development since 1967, died of cancer May 30 at Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mr. Manley, who lived in Annandale, was a native of Pennsylvania. He graduated from Asbury College in Kentucky and received a master's degree in international affairs from George Washington University.

He served in the Marine Corps Reserve in the early 1970s. He was a member of the Unitarian Church of Arlington.

Survivors include his wife of 16 years, Carla Fisher Manley, and two children, Mark and Melissa Manley, all of Annandale; his parents, Thomas and Norell Manley of Huntingdon Valley, Pa.; and a brother, Robert Manley of Easton, Pa.


GAO Lawyer

Ernest Nelson Hall, 86, a retired lawyer at the General Accounting Office, died of respiratory failure May 31 at Doctor's Hospital in Lanham.

Mr. Hall, who lived in Bowie, was a native of North Carolina, where he graduated from Western Carolina College. He received a law degree from Cumberland University law school in Tennessee.

He came to the Washington area in 1935 when he joined the GAO. He retired in 1968.

Mr. Hall had been a teacher and board member at St. Luke's United Methodist Church in Washington.

His wife, Fannie W. Hall, died in February.

Survivors include two children, Robert W. Hall of Bowie and Frances Hall Raimondi of Lewiston, N.Y.; three sisters; and seven grandchildren.