A Howard County grand jury indicted Army personnel clerk Jeffrey Louis Fowlkes yesterday in the fatal shooting of a Glenelg birthday party guest May 19 and the wounding of six others.

Fowlkes, 23, is charged with first-degree murder, assault with intent to murder, assault with intent to maim, assault and battery and various handgun violations. His attorney said Fowlkes would enter a plea this summer.

Fowlkes, who had been stationed at Fort Lee, Va., is being held at the county jail in lieu of $500,000 bond.

In a bond hearing Wednesday, Fowlkes's attorney, Richard W. Winelander, said the Army specialist contends that he fired once into the air in an effort to break up a fight over a beer cooler at the crowded lawn party.

Winelander told Circuit Judge James B. Dudley at the hearing that an investigator is searching for a man who Fowlkes said pulled his arm while he was firing and shouted, "We don't need that here." Winelander said Fowlkes was wrestled to the ground and that shots may have been fired from other guns.

In the chaos, as nearly 200 guests at the party on Tridelphia Road scattered, Joseph Taylor, 21, of Cooksville, was fatally wounded and bullets struck six other people, one seriously.

Ballistics tests in the case have not been completed, attorneys said.

In arguing for Fowlkes's release on bond, Winelander presented letters of support signed by about 100 people who are neighbors of the soldier's family in Baltimore; nearly 20 supporters attended the hearing. Winelander said that, as the search for witnesses continues, Fowlkes needs to be free to help prepare his defense. His client has no prior criminal record, Winelander said.

The grand jury also indicted two men yesterday in the stabbing death April 23 of Pamela Barker, 45, of Columbia. Brian Jordan, 27, of no fixed address, and Temesgen Melaku, 20, of Mitchellville, were indicted on charges of first-degree murder. Michael Briscoe, 24, also has been indicted on a first-degree murder charge in the case.

Barker's house was ransacked and robbed the night she was killed. The defendents were traced after her stolen credit cards were used in Baltimore and Washington, police said.