Norman Rust Kent Stanford, 70, a retired Marine Corps colonel and highly decorated veteran of three wars who also was a former teacher, died of cancer June 7 at his home in Annapolis.

Col. Stanford, a veteran of the Korean War who served in Vietnam in the mid-1960s, first saw combat in the Pacific during World War II. During the bloody fighting for Okinawa, he won the Navy Cross, the highest award for valor except for the Medal of Honor.

The citation for the award said that then-Lt. Stanford, a naval gunfire observer with the 1st Marine Division, found that his assigned observation post was of little use. He crawled 200 yards forward over exposed terrain to within 100 yards of the Japanese lines. He then redirected heavy naval gunfire so it destroyed three enemy gun emplacements.

His other World War II decorations included a Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts. In Korea, again with the 1st Marine Division, he received another Bronze Star and another Purple Heart. In Vietnam, where he served in 1964 and 1965, he worked in the pacification program.

Col. Stanford's peacetime assignments included seven years in Japan, including a tour from 1958 to 1961 as senior assistant naval attache. He also held a battalion command in the 8th Marines at Camp Lejeune, N.C., in the 1960s. He was serving with the Defense Intelligence Agency at the Pentagon when he retired from active duty in 1966.

He taught English at the Severn School in Severna Park, Md., from 1968 to 1974. He then taught law enforcement at Anne Arundel Community College until retiring a second time in 1989.

Col. Stanford was a native of Cohasset, Mass., and a 1944 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy at Annpolis. He received a master's degree in education from Stanford University and studied Japanese at Yale University.

His marriage to the former Patricia Wallace ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Nancy K., of Annapolis; two sons by his first marriage, Michael K., of Palo Alto, Calif., and Peter W., of Annapolis; three stepchildren, Stephen E. Shenk of Centreville, Md., and Janet V. and George C. Shenk Jr., both of Annapolis; and a brother, Donald, of Brantford, Ont.


FBI Agent

Guy Llewellyn Hottel, 88, a retired executive secretary of the Horsemen's Benevolent And Protective Association and a former FBI agent, died of a heart ailment June 6 at a nursing home in Lewes, Del.

Mr. Hottell, who had lived in Rehoboth Beach since 1977, was a native of New Market, Va. He graduated from George Washington University.

In 1934, he joined the FBI as a special agent in Washington. He became chief of the agency's Washington field office in World War II, transferred to the identification division in 1951 and retired in 1955.

He then went to work at the Horseman's Benevolent And Protective Association, an organization representing owners and trainers of thoroughbred horses. He received its outstanding achievement award in 1973 and retired in 1974.

Mr. Hottel was a member of the Columbia Country Club.

His marriages to Adele Brossard Hottel and Aileen Hottel ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Edna DiShong Hottel of Rehoboth Beach; a son from his first marriage, Chandler V. Hottel of Washington; a son from his second marriage, William G. Hottel of Tempe, Ariz.; and a grandchild.



Michael W. Berry, 37, the curator at the National Trust for Historic Preservation, died June 5 at his home in Washington. He had AIDS.

Mr. Berry was a native of Atlanta. He graduated from Emory University and received a master's degree in museum studies from George Washington University.

From the early 1980s to 1984, he was curator at the Daughters of the American Revolution Museum in Washington. He then went to the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

Mr. Berry wrote numerous articles on American decorative art and genealogy for professional journals. He had been a volunteer at the Washington Antique Show.

He was a member of the St. George's Society of Baltimore, the Jamestown Society, the Society of Colonial Wars and the Colonial Order of the Crown.

Survivors include his longtime companion, Christopher Heppe of Washington, and his parents, Maynard L. and Allene Berry of Atlanta.