Raytheon Official

Everette L. Harper, 66, a retired head of the Washington office of the Raytheon Co. and a former Air Force colonel who was a decorated bomber pilot in World War II, died of cancer June 8 at Calvert Memorial Hospital in Prince Frederick, Md.

Col. Harper went into the Army Air Corps in World War II. He was a B-24 bomber pilot in Europe and flew 35 missions. His military decorations included the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters. During the Korean War he was a troop carrier pilot.

In 1954, he was stationed in Washington as a congressional liaison officer in the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force. He remained there until 1958, when he went to the Harvard Business School. After graduation in 1960, he became deputy director of legislative affairs in the Office of the Secretary of Defense.

For his work there he received the Legion of Merit.

Col. Harper's next assignment was to the staff of the Senate Armed Services Committee. At the same time he was counsel of its research and development subcommittee.

In 1970, he retired from the Air Force and went to work for Raytheon on Capitol Hill. In 1973, he was promoted to vice president and transferred to the company's headquarters in Lexington, Mass. He returned here in 1980 as vice president in charge of the Washington office. He retired in 1986.

A former resident of Arlington, Col. Harper moved to Broomes Island, Md., when he retired and then to Key West, Fla. He had returned here for medical treatment.

Col. Harper was born in Birmingham. He grew up in Mississippi. He graduated from the University of Mississippi, where he also received a law degree.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Genevieve Moore Harper of Key West; five children, Terry Gray of Port Republic, Md., Robert Harper of Los Angeles, Christina Harper of Arlington, Bruce Harper of Key West and Stephen Harper of Washington; his mother, Willie D. Harper of Moss Point, Miss.; two brothers, Joseph and Roland Harper, both of Grand Bay, Ala.; three sisters, Lorraine Watts and Nita Brown, both of Moss Point, and Juliet Walters of Battle Creek, Mich.; and three grandchildren.


Army Colonel

Raphael Joseph Schach, 66, a retired colonel in the Army's field artillery who was a combat veteran of World War II and the Korean War, died of cancer June 8 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Col. Schach, who had lived in Alexandria since settling here in 1969, was a native of Missouri. He attended the University of Missouri before entering the Army in 1943. He was commissioned the next year.

During World War II, he was an artillery forward observer in Europe. In Korea, he was intelligence officer of the 5th Field Artillery Group.

During the 1950s, he graduated from the field artillery advanced course at Fort Sill, Okla., and the Army Command and Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. From 1956 to 1960, he taught military science in the ROTC department of the University of Missouri.

Later assignments included the command of a field artillery battalion in Europe, personnel work at the Pentagon, and a tour as an adviser to the South Korean army. His last post, before retiring from active duty in 1972, was as personnel and community activities director at Fort Belvoir.

Col. Schach's decorations included the two awards of the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star, the Meritorious Service Medal and three Army Commendation medals.

His hobbies included golf.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Erika, of Alexandria; three sons, Roland A., of Overland Park, Kan., Thomas M., of Fairfax, and Army Maj. Raphael T. Schach of Wurzburg, West Germany; a daughter, Heide M. Schach of Reston; and four grandchildren.


Church Pianist

Virginia Maddox, 87, a pianist at Trinity United Methodist Church in Alexandria and Alexandria Bible Church, died of a heart ailment June 4 at the Goodwin House retirement home in Alexandria.

Mrs. Maddox was a native of Alexandria. She was a graduate of the George Washington University law school. She practiced law briefly in Alexandria during the mid-1920s.

She was a member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Her husband, Wade G. Maddox, died in 1965. She leaves no immediate survivors.


Navy Corpsman and Lab Supervisor

Paul Edward Ewald, 57, a retired Navy chief hospital corpsman who had been a clinical laboratory supervisor at the University of Maryland's health center since 1980, died June 7 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. He had thrombocytopenia, a blood disorder.

Mr. Ewald, who lived in Gaithersburg, was a native of Dayton, Ohio. He joined the Navy in 1952 and served in Korea during the war there. His tour in Vietnam, from 1967 to 1968, included assignments with Marine units in the field. He also served in Egypt. He retired from active duty in 1975.

His decorations included the Navy Commendation Medal with combat "V" and the Meritorious Service Medal.

Between 1970 and 1980, he had worked as a medical technologist for area physicians and laboratories, and for Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital. After leaving the Navy, he received a bachelor's degree in microbiology from the University of Maryland, where he also was working on a master's degree in management and studying photography. He also was a free-lance photographer.

His marriages to the former Beverly Wachter and the former Barbara Standifer ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Phyllis, of Gaithersburg; two children by his first marriage, Douglas, of Englewood, Ohio, and Kristina Knipfer of Dayton; and five grandchildren.


USDA Economist

Rodney Whitaker, 85, a retired deputy director and administrative officer of the cotton division of the Department of Agriculture, died of congestive heart failure June 7 at Frederick Memorial Hospital in Frederick, Md.

Mr. Whitaker, a native of Bourbon, Mo., graduated from Oklahoma A&M University and the University of Illinois, where he received a master's degree in agricultural economics. He received a law degree from the old National University Law School in Washington.

In 1930 he moved to Washington and went to work for the Department of Agriculture as an economist. Except for the period from 1948 to 1950, when he took a leave of absence to serve as executive secretary of the International Cotton Advisory Committee, he remained with the department until he retired in 1960.

Mr. Whitaker then became a consultant to the World Bank and government agencies.

A former resident of Germantown, he moved to Frederick in 1964 and was a real estate agent there in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Marie Parsons Whitaker, and a daughter, Hazel Whitaker, both of Frederick.



Linda Fran Evans, 39, an artist and teacher in the Washington area, died of cancer June 8 at her home in Arlington.

Mrs. Evans was born in Rockaway, N.Y. She grew up there and in Silver Spring, where she graduated from Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School in 1968. She then went to the University of Maryland, where she received a bachelor's degree in 1972 and a master's degree in fine arts in 1974.

As an artist, Mrs. Evans did paintings, prints, etchings and paper forms. Her work appeared in various galleries in the Washington area and also was exhibited at the Baltimore Museum of Art, Catholic University and Mount Holyoke College.

She taught art at Catholic University, the University of Maryland, Prince George's Community College and the Madeira School in McLean, all in the 1970s. For several years she had been a volunteer art and computer skills teacher at Zachary Taylor Elementary School in Arlington.

Survivors include her husband, Donald W. Evans, and son, Stuart M. Evans, both of Arlington; her parents, Bernard and Dorothy Simon of Silver Spring; and two brothers, Gary L. Simon of Potomac and David J. Simon of Baltimore.