Schuyler B. Wright, 62, a longtime area commercial real estate developer who had been a director of several banks, died of cancer June 9 at his home in College Park.
He owned and directed the S&J Corp. and the S&J Development companies, commercial real estate development organizations, for 25 years. He had been an independent contractor before that. He had been a developer of the Ardmore Industrial Park in Landover.
Mr. Wright had been a director of Riggs Bank in Washington, Jefferson Bank in Greenbelt, and Peoples Bank in Landover. From the mid-1960s to mid-1980s, he also had owned the Alcrymat Roofing Co. of Landover. He was a founder and past president of the National Roofing Association.
He had done volunteer work for the Boys Club of Lanham. He was a member of the Mount Rainier Lions Club.
Mr. Wright was born in Augusta County, Va., and came here at an early age. He was a graduate of Eastern High School and a Navy veteran.
Survivors include his wife, Shirley, of College Park; two sons, Schuyler Jr., of Frankfort, Ky., and Clinton M., of College Park; five brothers, Lyle, of Lanham, Fred, of Clearwater, Fla., Joseph, of Ocean City, Md., Samuel, of New Carrollton, and Delbert, of Riverdale; and two grandchildren.
THE REV. THEODORE H. EVANS
The Rev. Theodore Hubbard Evans, 92, a retired Episcopal priest, died June 11 at his home in Alexandria.
Mr. Evans was born in Amherst, Va. He attended Washington and Lee University, then during World War I in 1917 left school with a Washington and Lee unit of the Army Ambulance Corps, which was initially attached to the French Army. He served in France until 1919.
After the war he worked for the U.S. Census Bureau and the Bureau of Internal Revenue in Washington and in the cotton export business in Birmingham, Ala.
He graduated from Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria in 1924 and did postgraduate study at Union Theological Seminary in New York.
From 1928 until 1947, Mr. Evans served as rector of Christ Church in Tuscaloosa, Ala., Trinity Church in New Haven and St. Paul's Church in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. He was rector of St. Paul's Memorial Church in Charlottesville from 1947 to 1961. Later he served on the clerical staffs of All Saints Church in Worcester, Mass., and the Church of the Redeemer in Baltimore before retiring and moving to Alexandria in 1967.
Survivors include his wife of 58 years, the former Jean L. Bowie of Alexandria; three children, the Rev. Theodore H. Evans Jr. of Stockbridge, Mass., Mary Randolph Evans Leshan of Fort Washington, Pa., and Jean Evans Storrs of Lunenburg, Mass.; and seven grandchildren.
ROBERT H. WOLF
Robert H. Wolf, 75, a retired Metropolitan Police Department lieutenant, died of a respiratory ailment June 11 at Suburban Hospital.
Mr. Wolf, who had lived at the Grosvenor Health Care Center in Bethesda since 1986, was born in Riverdale. He grew up in Bladensburg.
During the late 1930s, he served in the Marine Corps. He joined the Metropolitan Police Department in 1941. He was promoted to sergeant in 1952 and to lieutenant in 1956. He retired in 1966.
In 1972, he moved to Annapolis, where he lived until he moved to the Grosvenor Health Care Center.
Survivors include his wife, Sylvia Wolf of Miami Beach; a son, Daniel M. Wolf of Silver Spring; a brother, Louis Wolf of Bayonne, N.J.; two sisters, Evelyn Meushaw and Sophie Pickett, both of Bladensburg; two half sisters, Ralene Kordick of Severn and Florence Shimek of San Antonio; and two grandchildren.
WALTER C. DELP
Grocer & Fire Chief
Walter Charles Delp, 76, a retired A&P grocery store manager and the first chief of the Waldorf Volunteer Fire Department, died of congestive heart failure on June 12 at Physicians Memorial Hospital in La Plata.
Mr. Delp was a native of Baltimore and moved here in the mid-1930s. He spent 40 years with A&P before retiring as manager of its Waldorf store.
He was a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Waldorf.
Survivors include his wife, the former Cora Mae Farrell, of Waldorf; a brother, Edwin "Buster" Delp of Falls Church; and two sisters, Catherine "Babe" Delp of Arlington, and Helen Jones of Vienna.
JOHN D. CAIOPOULOS
John Demos Caiopoulos, 74, the founder of John D. Caiopoulos Inc., a Washington accounting firm that specialized in the restaurant business, died of cardiac arrest June 11 at the the home of his son in Potomac.
Mr. Caiopoulos, a resident of Laurel, was born in Providence, R.I. He moved to Washington in 1934 and graduated from Benjamin Franklin University with a degree in accounting. He founded his own firm in the 1930s and headed it until his death.
A 32nd-degree Mason, he was a member of the Scottish Rite and the Almas Temple of the Shrine.
His wife, Sophia Caiopoulos, died in 1985.
Survivors include three children, Maria McCoy and Alexis Hilley, both of Laurel, and James J. Caiopoulos of Potomac; two sisters, Penelope Batanides of Glendale, Calif., and Percy Diamontopoulos of Tucson; and eight grandchildren.
Robert Frazer, 83, a retired regional director of the National Labor Relations Board, died of sepsis on June 5 at a nursing home in Charleston, S.C. Mr. Frazer, an Arlington resident, had gone to Charleston earlier this year to be near his family.
He came here in 1926 as administrative assistant to then Rep. Lister Hill (D-Ala.) and served on the staff until joining the NLRB in 1939. He retired in 1963. Afterward, he led tours to Europe for a time. He also had contributed a column on Washington life to a newspaper in Greenville, Ala.
Mr. Frazer, who attended the University of Alabama, was a native of Greenville, Ala. He had served with the Army in the Mediterranean theater during World War II.
Survivors include a brother, Charles, of Selma, Ala.; and a sister, Laurie F. Key, of Charleston, S.C.
PAUL T. CHACONAS
Liquor Store Owner
Paul T. Chaconas, 85, the founder and owner of the Chaconas Liquor Store on M Street NW in Georgetown, died on June 11 at the Wisconsin Avenue Nursing Home. He had Parkinson's disease.
Mr. Chaconas was born in Washington and was a lifelong resident here. After attending Holy Trinity School, he went to work in a family ice cream and candy business, the Georgetown Candy Kitchen.
He started the Chaconas Liquor Store in the early 1940s. He retired about 1970, but the store remains in his family.
Mr. Chaconas was a member of St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Church.
Survivors include his twin brother, Peter T. Chaconas of Washington; another brother, Constantine T. "Gus" Chaconas of Arlington; and two sisters, Demetra Arabolos of East Haven, Conn., and Angela Spiridopoulos of Washington.
EVELYN H.S. HUNTER
Evelyn Howard Sheridan Hunter, 89, a member of the choir at the Second Presbyterian Church in Alexandria, died of congestive heart failure June 8 at her home in Alexandria.
Mrs. Hunter was a lifelong Alexandria resident. As a young woman she worked as a playground attendant with the D.C. public school system and as a singer in silent movie houses in Washington.
Her first husband, B.J. Sheridan, died in 1934. She married John F. Hunter in 1948. An Ohio Democrat, he had served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1937 until 1943. He died in 1958.
Survivors include a son from her first marriage, Bernard J. Sheridan, a sister, Margaret Howard Irwin, and a brother, Robert C. Howard, all of Alexandria, and a grandchild.
WILLIAM R. BARNES
Government Computer Operator
William Roland Barnes, 79, who worked for the old Civil Service Commission for 32 years before retiring in 1974 as a computer operator, died of pneumonia on June 9 at Leland Memorial Hospital. He lived in Hyattsville.
Mr. Barnes was born in Charles County, Md., and came here at an early age. He had attended Holy Redeemer and Immaculate Conception Catholic churches in Washington.
His first marriage, to the former Edith Curtis, ended in divorce. His second wife, the former Barbara Gaskins, died in 1982.
Survivors include a daughter by his first marriage, Barbara Legerwood, and a daughter by his second marriage, Geraldine March, both of Hyattsville; his mother, Nora Barnes of Washington; nine grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.