Roy Nutt, 59, a leading figure in the computer software industry who helped develop the computer language Fortran and was a co-founder of Computer Sciences Corp., died of cancer June 13 at his home in Seattle.

Mr. Nutt was a director of Computer Sciences Corp. and had been chairman of the executive committee of the company's board of directors since 1972. He was vice president until 1988.

With Fletcher James he co-founded Computer Sciences Corp. in 1959. Based in El Segundo, Calif., the company is the largest independent professional services company in the computer industry.

While at Computer Sciences, Mr. Nutt developed another computer language, Fact, which in turn influenced the development of Cobol, another computer language that is widely used in business applications.

As a young mathematician working at what then was United Aircraft Corp., Mr. Nutt was part of a team of computer programmers that developed Fortran, the computer language that is used extensively in science and engineering.

A native of Marlborough, Mass., Mr. Nutt graduated from Trinity College in Connecticut.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth Nutt of Seattle; four children, Sarah Papageorge of Leicester, Mass., Robert Nutt of Port Orchard, Wash., Micah Nutt of Palos Verde Estates, Calif. and Thomas Nutt of Santa Barbara, Calif.; and two grandsons.



Jack K. McFall, 84, a retired Foreign Service officer who in the 1950s served as the first U.S. ambassador to Finland, died June 16 at a hospital in Vero Beach, Fla., after a stroke.

Mr. McFall, who moved to Vero Beach from Washington in January, was born in Tacoma, Wash., and grew up in Kansas City, Mo. He graduated from the Georgetown University school of foreign service and the National Law School.

He worked on the staff of the House Appropriations Committee during the 1930s. During World War II, he served in the Navy and attained the rank of commander.

In 1947, Mr. McFall was executive secretary of the House Appropriations Committee when he left to join the Foreign Service. He served as assistant secretary of state for congressional relations in the early 1950s. His assignments included duty in Canada and Greece.

He was named minister to Finland in 1952 and ambassador when the legation was upgraded to an embassy in 1954. He served there until 1955. He was a senior adviser to the U.S. delegation to the United Nations when he retired in 1956.

He had been a board member of the Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired and a member of the American Scandinavian Foundation, the Washington Institute of Foreign Affairs and the Army-Navy Country Club.

Survivors include his wife, Martha McFall, of Vero Beach.


Women's Rights Activist

Martha Capps Chubb, 66, a women's rights activist who was a founder of the Virginia division of Women's Equity Action League in 1977 and from 1978 to 1980 served as its vice president, died of cancer June 18 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mrs. Chubb also served on the original Arlington Commission on the Status of Women in 1974. She had worked on the Women's Equity Action League national staff in Washington.

A resident of Arlington, she was born in Asheville, N.C. She attended Asheville College, served in the WAVES during World War II, then graduated from the University of North Carolina, where she also did graduate study in sociology.

She moved to the Washington area in 1950. During the 1950s she was active in the Prince George's County Democratic Party and was a founding member of Davies Memorial Unitarian Church in Camp Springs, Md. She had been its director of religious education from 1959 to 1961. Later she was a member of the Unitarian Church of Arlington.

She received a master's degree in women's studies at George Washington University. In 1977 Mrs. Chubb was a member of the Virginia delegation to the International Women's Year conference in Houston.

She was a former board member of the Falls Church Business and Professional Women's Club, vice president of the New Voice Club of Northern Virginia and a member of the Women's National Democratic Club, the Eistophos Science Club, the Capital Speakers Club and the Northern Virginia Arts and Antiques Association.

Survivors include her husband of 42 years, Dr. Talbot Chubb of Arlington; four children, Dr. Carroll Chubb of Port Huron, Mich., Nancy Chubb of Pittsburgh, Constance Chubb of Arlington and Spence Chubb of McLean; a sister, Sarah Preston of Hamilton, Ontario; and five grandchildren.


Former Falls Church Resident

Dorothy C. Gentry, 65, a former Falls Church resident, died of cancer June 16 at her home in Tucson.

Mrs. Gentry was born in Washington and graduated from Western High School. During World War II she was a teletype operator for the Signal Corps at the War Department.

She was a member of Columbia Baptist Church in Falls Church.

She moved from Falls Church to Arizona in 1967.

Her husband, Lynwood Paige Gentry, died in 1973.

Survivors include four children, Stacey V. Gentry of Summerville, S.C., Robert L. Gentry of York, Pa., Janis Lincoln of Baltimore and Patricia Hedetniemi of Annandale; three brothers, Ralph Campbell Sr. of Tucson, William K. Campbell of Vienna and Robert C. Campbell Sr. of Cheyenne, Wyo.


Industrial Engineer

Levin Paul Handy Jr., 70, a native Washingtonian who had been an industrial engineer and executive in several cities in the United States and around the world, died of cancer June 19 at his home in Baton Rouge, La.

Mr. Handy was a graduate of Gonzaga College High School and Catholic University. He served in the Navy during World War II, then worked in Washington as a civilian engineer at the Navy's Bureau of Aeronautics. He was recalled to active duty during the Korean War, then served in the Naval Reserve until retiring as a commander in 1967.

After the Korean War, Mr. Handy worked in California as assistant general manager for the aeronautical and instrument division of Robertshaw Controls Co. Later he worked for the company in Tokyo and Geneva and for other industries in Muncie, Ind., Houston and Brussels.

At his death, Mr. Handy was working at the River Bend Nuclear Generation Plant of Gulf State Utilities.

Survivors include his wife, Marie Handy of Baton Rouge; four children, Tish Lyons of Burke, James Handy of San Jose, Calif., and John Handy and Carolyn Schranz, both of Springfield; and four grandchildren.


Howard Christian "Chris" Shinton Jr., 46, a D.C. police officer for 21 years until he retired in 1989, died of cancer June 20 at his home in Rockville.

Mr. Shinton was a native of Pittsburgh. He served in the Navy from 1963 to 1967. During that time he served two tours of duty aboard riverboats in Vietnam.

He joined the D.C. police department in 1968. He spent most of his career as a patrol officer in Georgetown. He was a member of the Fraternal Order of Police.

His marriage to Victoria Pagan Shinton ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Yvonne Shinton of Rockville; a son from his first marriage, Michael Shinton of Burke; his parents, Howard C. and Mary Grace Shinton of Robinson, Pa.; seven sisters, Kathy Keller of LaPlata, Ellen Colon of Huntington, N.Y., Mary Hook of Boulder, Colo., Suzanne Baux, Janine Whyle and Marion Gaillereto, all of Pittsburgh, and Navy Petty Officer Amy Shinton of San Diego; and five brothers, Dennis Shinton, Kevin Shinton and James Shinton, all of Pittsburgh, Thomas Shinton of Sterling and Matthew Shinton of Lake Ridge, Va.


Church Member

Mary Jane Roberts, 71, a former member of the vestry and the altar guild and president of Episcopal Church Women at the Church of St. Clement in Alexandria, died of cardiac arrest June 18 at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, Va.

Mrs. Roberts, who lived in Arlington, was born in Chicago. She grew up in Nebraska and attended the University of Omaha. As a young woman she was a feature writer and sports writer for the Omaha World-Herald.

She moved to the Washington area in 1946.

With her husband, William Shepard Roberts Jr., she was an enthusiastic square dancer and a member of several dance clubs. He died in 1981.

Survivors include a son, William S. Roberts III of Arlington, and a grandson.



Emma C. Souder, 92, a retired seamstress for Woodward & Lothrop and a life member of Calvary Baptist Church in Washington, died June 18 at Suburban Hospital. She had pneumonia and had suffered a series of strokes.

Mrs. Souder, who lived in Cabin John, was a native of North Carolina, where she graduated from the Morganton School for the Deaf.

She came to the Washington area about 1920. In the mid-1950s, she began work in the fur repair section at Woodward & Lothrop's downtown Washington store. She retired in the mid-1970s.

Her husband, William Paul Souder, died in 1947.

There are no immediate survivors.