Former Washington Redskins defensive back Barry T. Wilburn was sentenced to 10 days in jail yesterday in Fairfax County Circuit Court after he pleaded guilty to driving with a suspended license.

Wilburn, 26, had appealed an earlier conviction. He missed the final eight games last season after testing positive for cocaine use, and was released by the Redskins last month. Wilburn had been arrested March 14 and charged with drunken driving and driving with a suspended license.

He was convicted on the drunken driving charge April 30 in General District Court and sentenced to 60 days in jail and fined $600, but the judge suspended that sentence.

He also was convicted the same day on the suspended-license charge and was sentenced to 30 days in jail with 20 days suspended, a $200 fine and a 90-day loss of his license. Wilburn appealed the suspended license conviction to Circuit Court.

Yesterday, Wilburn entered a guilty plea on the appeal and received the same sentence from Circuit Court Judge Johanna L. Fitzpatrick, who gave permission for Wilburn to serve the sentence on weekends. He will begin serving the sentence next Friday.

Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Steven Briglia said Wilburn, who has been trying out with football teams on the West Coast, flew in from California yesterday to make the court appearance.

Wilburn's attorney, Clarence Saccardi, declined to comment on the case.

Wilburn was arrested at 2:55 a.m. March 14 after a state trooper clocked Wilburn's car driving slowly down Interstate 66. His was going 34 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney James Fisher, who prosecuted Wilburn in General District Court, said the trooper saw Wilburn drive off the side of the highway onto the grass. When Wilburn was stopped, "he jumped out of the car and said, 'I'm Barry Wilburn,' " Fisher said.

Wilburn was taken to the Fairfax County jail, where his blood-alcohol level tested at .13 percent. The legal limit in Virginia is .10.

On Wednesday, Redskins offensive lineman Mark May was sentenced to two days in jail after pleading guilty in a Fairfax court to drunken driving. He also was fined $500 and lost his driver's license for three years.