Allan Robert Bruce, 49, a Wire Service Guild activist and veteran United Press International wire service newsman whose last post was as general news editor on its national desk here, died June 21 at his home in Alexandria. He had AIDS.

Mr. Bruce, who joined UPI in 1963, came to Washington and the UPI national desk in 1985.

He joined the Wire Service Guild in 1966 and held various positions with the union throughout his career with UPI. He was a former member of the guild's national executive committee. He was a union contract negotiator five times and was a member of the Wire Service Guild team that recently reached a tentative contract agreement with UPI.

Shortly after joining UPI, Mr. Bruce spent two years in the Army before returning to the wire service in 1965. He rejoined its Buffalo bureau, transferring to Albany, N.Y., in 1966, then returning to Buffalo later that year as bureau manager.

He went on to become New England sportswriter in the UPI Boston bureau in 1972, city editor in New York in 1973, and a New York general desk editor in 1977. In 1983, he transferred to Pittsburgh as UPI's Eastern Division news editor, and in October 1984 became Florida state editor.

Mr. Bruce, a Mohawk Indian, was born in Buffalo, the son of a steelworker. He worked his way through St. Bonaventure University as a laborer for the South Buffalo Railway, writing press releases for the university, and as a part-time reporter for UPI.

Survivors include his companion, Dale Dugger of Alexandria; and three sisters.


CAB Personnel Director

Patrick Francis Bottone, 66, retired director of personnel at the Civil Aeronautics Board, died of cancer June 20 at his home in Fairfax.

Mr. Bottone was born in New York City and grew up in Newark. He graduated from Seton Hall University. During World War II, he served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific.

He moved to the Washington area after the war and graduated from Georgetown University law school. He had worked about 15 years at the Civil Aeronautics Board before retiring in 1987. Earlier, he had worked at the Department of Agriculture and the FBI. He had also taught personnel and personnel administration at the Department of Agriculture Graduate School.

Survivors include his wife of 40 years, Alice Marie Bottone, and four children, Dr. Robert F. Bottone, Dr. Mary E. Bottone Curtiss, Gregory P. Bottone and Dr. Victoria A. Bottone, all of Fairfax; a sister, Virginia Sutto of Fairfax; a brother, Dr. Francis P. Bottone of Ironia, N.J.; and three grandchildren.


Trade Association Official

Wilson "Mac" Horsmon, 73, a technical consultant and a member of the arbitration panel of the Automotive Trade Association of the National Capital Area, died June 21 at George Washington University Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Horsmon, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Prince Frederick, Md. He attended Calvert High School.

As a teenager he worked in a family auto dealership, the Prince Frederick Motor Co., then operated gas stations in Silver Spring and Wheaton. Later he was service manager for several General Motors dealerships in the Washington area.

In the 1970s, Mr. Horsmon began working for the Montgomery County Office of Consumer Affairs as an automotive specialist. He joined the staff of the Automotive Trade Association of the National Capital Area in 1982.

Survivors include his wife, Elva Horsmon of Silver Spring; a son, Edward Horsmon of Bowie; five brothers; four sisters; and a grandchild.


Machine Operator

William Harold Clark, 65, a retired heavy machine operator for Lift-a-Loft Corp., a Springfield construction company, died of an aneurysm June 19 at his home in Alexandria.

Mr. Clark was a native of Oneida, Tenn. During World War II, he served as an Army paratrooper in Europe and partipated in the Normandy invasion.

His military decorations included the Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts.

After the war, he went to Muncie, Ind., as a foreman with what became Lift-a-Loft.

He transferred to the Washington area in the late 1950s. He retired in 1987.

He was a member of Local 70 of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.

His hobbies included hunting and fishing.

His wife, Floy Crouch Clark, died in 1982.

Survivors include a son, Wayne W. Clark of Alexandria; and two grandchildren.


Electrical Engineer

John J. Nagle, 64, a retired electrical engineer at the Army Department's Warrenton Training Center, died of cancer June 20 at Fair Oaks Hospital.

Mr. Nagle, who lived in Herndon, was born in Washington. The son of a federal government civil engineer, he grew up in St. Louis, Chicago, New Jersey and Miami. He graduated from the University of Maryland, where he also received a master's degree in electrical engineering.

He had worked as an electrical engineer in the Baltimore area before moving here in 1966 to join Page Communications Engineering in Washington. He later worked at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Suitland and the Defense Communications Agency in Reston before he went to the Warrenton Training Center about 1985. He retired in May.

Mr. Nagle was a ham radio operator and a member of the Audio Engineering Society, the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers and the Antique Wireless Association.

Survivors include his wife of 38 years, Martha Joyce Nagle of Herndon; three children, Daniel L. Nagle and James W. Nagle, both of Reston, Judith A. Nagle of Arlington; and a brother, Frederick W., of Madison, Wis.


Personnel Officer

Charles H. Bryant, 73, a former personnel director for the U.S. Office of Education who also had been a personnel officer for other government agencies, died of congestive heart failure June 22 at a nursing home in Boynton Beach, Fla.

Mr. Bryant was born in Hart County, Ky. He graduated from Western Kentucky State Teachers College, where he also received a master's degree in psychology. He served in the Navy during World War II and the Korean War. He retired from the Naval Reserve as a captain in 1977.

He moved to the Washington area in 1962, after having worked as a Civil Service Commission personnel officer in Cincinnati. He retired in 1976 as personnel director for the Office of Education. Earlier he had been a personnel officer here with the Civil Service Commission, the Peace Corps and the Department of Health, Education and Welfare.

A former resident of Silver Spring, Mr. Bryant had lived in Boynton Beach since his retirement.

Survivors include his wife, Edna Mae Bryant of Boynton Beach; two children, Charles Jr., of Gaithersburg, and Margaret Jo Davis of Huntington Beach, Calif.; and five grandchildren.


Bible Study Leader

Nancy W. Southerland, 79, a Bible study leader at Arlington Presbyterian Church, died of cancer June 17 at her home in Arlington.

She had been a Bible study leader at the church for more than 15 years and had served as coordinator of a church-organized program to assist needy people. She had worked at the church's clothing bank, which provided clothing for hundreds of refugees from Indochina after the Vietnam War years and for other people in need.

Mrs. Southerland was born in Martinsville, Va. She moved to the Washington area in 1946.

Her husband, Fitzhugh L. Southerland, died in 1971. Survivors include three sons, Daniel R. Southerland of Beijing, Douglas Lee Southerland of Seoul, and Hugh B. Southerland of Richmond; three sisters, Mary Goode of Richmond, Charmain Williamson of Martinsville, and Mildred Connelly of Tucson; and two grandchildren.


Washington Hospital Center Executive

Elizabeth D. Hall, 78, the director of the social service department at Washington Hospital Center from 1957 until she retired in 1970, died of a heart ailment June 1 at a hospital in Rockland, Maine.

Mrs. Hall, who had moved to Hope, Maine, from Washington in April, was a native of Hudson, Wis. She graduated from the University of North Dakota.

She lived in the Washington area briefly during World War II. She then lived in Massachusetts and Connecticut before returning here in 1956. She moved to Maine in 1983 and back to Washington in 1986.

Her husband, Franklin D. Hall, died in 1980. Survivors include a daughter, Eugenia H. Wormser of Hope; a sister, Virginia Johnson of Minneapolis; a half-sister, Kathleen Sandven of Hudson; and a grandchild.