William E. Davies, 72, a retired official of the U.S. Geological Survey and a cave scientist who was a past president of the National Speleological Society, died of cardiopulmonary arrest June 27 at his home in Falls Church.

Mr. Davies was a member of the board of directors of the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority for 30 years, representing Falls Church, and for many years he was treasurer of the authority. He also was a past president of the C&O Canal Association and the Explorers Club of Washington.

A resident of the Washington area since World War II, Mr. Davies was born in Cleveland. He graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and received a master's degree in geology at Michigan State University. During the war, he was an officer in the Army Corps of Engineers and was stationed at the Army Map Service in Washington.

After the war he was a civilian employee of the map service. Among other things, he assessed the utility of caves as shelters in the event of nuclear war. He said that because of their inaccessibility and lack of ventilation, most of them would be more useful for storing documents and artifacts than protecting people.

In 1949 he joined the Geological Survey. One of his first assignments there was to survey caves in Pennsylvania and West Virginia. He later did research on permafrost and accompanied a USGS expedition to Antarctica in the 1957 Geophysical Year. The Davies Escarpment in Antarctica was named in honor of his work there.

Mr. Davies also studied landslides and earth dams in the coal fields of Appalachia. He participated in the investigation of the disaster at Buffalo Creek, W.Va., on Feb. 26, 1972, when about 150 people were killed when a coal company dam gave way and 15 small communities in a valley were inundated.

Following his retirement from the survey in the mid-1980s, Mr. Davies studied the history of the C&O Canal and the Potomac River valley at the National Archives.

He was a member of the Geological Society of America, the Association of Engineering Geologists, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Virginia Academy of Science and the Virginia State Cave Board.

Survivors include his wife, Geraldine H. Davies, whom he married in 1941, of Falls Church; two children, William H. Davies of Alexandria and Pamela G. Davies of Atlanta; and a brother, John A. Davies of Fairfield, Ohio.


UDC Professor

Charlotte Virginia Rivers, 60, a professor of foreign languages at the University of the District of Columbia, died June 24 at D.C. General Hospital of injuries suffered in a traffic accident that day. D.C. police said she was struck by an automobile while crossing the street at Alabama Avenue and 41st Street SE.

Miss Rivers, who lived in Washington, was born in Talladega, Ala. She moved to D.C. as a child. She was a graduate of Cornell University and had a master's degree in Romance languages from Columbia University. She also had studied at the University of Paris.

Since 1968, Miss Rivers had been on the faculty of UDC and its predecessor institutions, D.C. Teachers College and Federal City College. She specialized in teaching French.

Before her death, Miss Rivers was researching two works of Diderot, "Jacques le Fataliste," and "Les Contes."

She had traveled extensively, and had taken her students on trips to China, France and Spain.

She was a member of the Modern Language Association, the American Association of Teachers of French, the American Association of University Women and the American Association of University Professors.

Survivors include a sister, Gertrude Rivers Robinson of Los Angeles.


NASA Executive

Melba Roy Mouton, 61, retired assistant chief for research programs in the geodynamics program of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Goddard Space Flight Center, died of a brain tumor June 25 at her Silver Spring home.

Mrs. Mouton was born in Fairfax. She graduated from Manassas Regional High School and Howard University, where she also received a master's degree in mathematics.

She had worked 18 years for the federal government before retiring in 1973, and spent the last 14 of those years with NASA. Earlier she had worked at the Census Bureau and the Army Map Service.

She had received an Apollo Achievement Award and an Exceptional Performance Award from NASA.

Her marriage to Wardell Roy ended in divorce. Her second husband, Webster Mouton, died in 1985.

Survivors include two children of her first marriage, Wayne and Marlis Roy, and a daughter of her second marriage, Michelle Mouton, all of Silver Spring; her parents, Rhodie and Edna Chloe of Delaplane, Va., and four grandchildren.


Congressional Staffer

Helen M. Seybert, 85, who worked on the staffs of several Republican members of the House of Representatives from 1947 until she retired in 1969, died of arteriosclerosis June 26 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mrs. Seybert, who had lived at Manor Care Nursing Home in Silver Spring since 1988, was a native of Pennsylvania. She moved to the Washington area in the early 1930s. During World War II, she worked as a secretary at the Maritime Commission.

From 1947 to 1951, she worked on the staffs of New York congressmen Robert J. Nodar Jr. and W. Kingsland Macy. She was then on the staffs of three Ohio representatives: William E. Hess from 1951 to 1961; Donald D. Clancy from 1961 to 1962; and Frances P. Bolton from 1962 to 1969.

She moved to Leisure World in 1966 and after retiring served there as a member of the Interfaith Committee. She also had been a volunteer at Montgomery General Hospital.

Survivors include her husband, David F. Seybert of Silver Spring; a son, Harry D. Seybert of Bethesda; and two grandchildren.



Joseph George Marosy, 74, the retired owner of a bakery in Pennsylvania who was a eucharistic minister at St. John's Catholic Church in Front Royal, died June 26 at "Leeds Manor," his farm in Markham, Va. He had cancer and heart ailments.

Mr. Marosy was born in Sharon, Pa. For 33 years he owned the Ideal Bakeries in Sharon and Farrell, Pa. He retired in 1966 and moved to Washington and Markham.

He was a charter member and past grand knight of the John Carroll Johnson Council No. 7771 of the Knights of Columbus.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Mary Offie Marosy of Markham; three children, Joseph George Marosy Jr. of Rockville, Romaine McNelis of West Nyack, N.Y., and Denise Balzano of Washington; three brothers, William, Steve and Julius, and two sisters, Irma Maykowski and Theresa Valent, all of Sharon; and three grandchildren.


Letter Carrier

John Joseph Cooney, 64, a retired letter carrier with the U.S. Postal Service in Washington, died of emphysema June 25 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Cooney, who lived in Falls Church, was a native of New York. During World War II, he served as a Navy aviator in the Pacific.

After the war, he settled in the Washington area and in 1947 became a letter carrier with the old Post Office Department. In 1974, he became a supervisor at the Main Post Office in Washington. Three years later he decided to return to his job as letter carrier. He retired for health reasons in 1981.

Survivors include his wife, Eleanor Cooney of Falls Church; four children, John Cooney of Herndon, Cherry Kusperbeck of Springfield, Debbie Albiston of Chesapeake, Va., and Candice Cooney of Springfield; a sister, Bernice Snyder of Phoenix; and three grandchildren.


Hadassah Member

Ann Silverman Greiff, 83, a member of Hadassah and a former sales clerk for the Canadian Fur Co. in Newark, N.J., died of congestive heart failure June 26 at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington in Rockville.

Mrs. Greiff was born in Fall River, Mass. She grew up in Newark and was a sales clerk there from about 1945 to 1960. She moved to Rockville in 1987.

Her first husband, Samuel Silverman, died in 1973. Her second husband, Murray Greiff, died in 1981.

Survivors include two sons by her first marriage, Robert Silverman of Nanuet, N.Y., and Paul Silverman of Rockville, and five grandchildren.


Army Colonel

Edward F. Price, 75, a retired Army colonel who served in the Quartermasters Corps, died of cancer June 26 at the Oakwood Health Care Center in Alexandria.

Col. Price, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Philadelphia. He joined the Army in 1941 and served in North Africa, the Mediterranean and Europe during World War II.

Postwar service included duty in Okinawa and work with a graves registration unit in Europe. He attended the Army's Command and General Staff College. He received an associate degree from George Washington University and graduated from the University of Maryland. He retired from the Army in 1964 after serving with the Defense Supply Agency.

In retirement, Col. Price served as a personnel and logistics specialist for the Department of the Army until retiring again in 1974.

He had lived in the Washington area since 1952.

Survivors include his wife, Therese Price of Alexandria; a daughter, Danielle Westphal of Fairfax; two brothers, James Price of Pemberton, N.J., and Robert Price of Camillus, N.Y.; a sister, Rita Uber of Media, Pa.; and a grandson.


Post Office Employee

Ruth A. Learmouth, 80, a secretary and civil service examiner in the Silver Spring Post Office who retired about 1970 with 28 years of service, died of a stroke June 26 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mrs. Learmouth, a resident of Silver Spring, was born in Lyons, Wis. She attended Moore's Business College in Racine, Wis. She moved to the Washington area in 1941.

She was a member of the Woodside United Methodist Church and the Silver Spring Women's Club.

Survivors include her husband, Meade Learmouth of Silver Spring.



Marguerite Davis-Bell, 72, a retired registered nurse who worked at D.C. General Hospital from 1955 to 1979, died of cancer June 23 at a hospital in Santa Barbara, Calif.

Mrs. Davis-Bell, who had lived in Lompoc, Calif. since March, was a Washington native. She graduated from Dunbar High School and the Freedmen's Hospital nursing school.

She worked at D.C. General Hospital briefly in 1951 before entering the Army. She served in Korea during the war there as a lieutenant in the Army Nurses Corps.

In 1955, she returned to D.C. General Hospital. In 1974, she graduated from the Howard University nursing school. She then took a leave of absence and in 1976, received a master's degree in nursing from Washington State University in Pullman, Wash.

In 1979, Mrs. Davis-Bell moved to the Philippines, where she was a nurse in an American school at the U.S. Naval base at Subic Bay. She retired in February and moved to California.

Her marriage to Robert Bell ended in divorce.

Survivors include her mother, Elsie Bolden of Chillum; a brother, Jesse L. Davis of Washington; and a sister, Yvonne Lee of Teaneck, N.J.


CIA Communicator

James Henry Daley, 59, a retired Central Intelligence Agency communications specialist, died of pneumonia June 17 at a hospital in Wilmington, N.C. Mr. Daley was born in Detroit. He served in the Army during the Korean war.

He moved to the Washington area and joined the CIA in 1953. He served at posts in the Far East and Middle East as well as in Washington. He retired in 1975.

He was a past commander of the American Legion Post in Springfield and a charter member of the American Legion in Annandale. He was a member of the Knights of Columbus and a former member of St. Michael's Catholic Church in Annandale. A former resident of Annandale, Mr. Daley had lived in Wilmington since 1976.

Survivors include his wife, Jane M. Daley of Clearwater, Fla.; four children, John J. Daley of Oakton, Ellen M. Daley of Annandale, and Timothy J. and Michael E. Daley, both of Wilmington; a sister, Rosemarie E. Daley of Olean, N.Y.; a brother, T. Joseph Daley of Fairport, N.Y.; and a grandchild.