She sat deep in the dark brown recliner, a painting of her family's old farm in Idaho on the wall, her sports trophies lining the nearby shelves.

Deeply tanned with long, straight blond hair, the 17-year-old normally would be thinking about her figure skating or her plans to buy a horse.

Instead, with her parents sitting on the adjacent couch in their Fairfax County home, she was talking about how she feels since a grand jury on Friday refused to indict three professional athletes she accused of gang-raping her in a limousine outside a Georgetown bar.

"I can say that I'm confident that the truth will come out," she said Friday night, in her first interview since telling authorities she was sexually assaulted by members of the Washington Capitals on May 11. "That's my main concern, that the truth will come out."

After seven weeks of public silence, the girl said she wants everyone to know that she is not lying and intends to pursue the case.

Three hockey players, Dino Ciccarelli, 30, Geoff Courtnall, 27, and Neil Sheehy, 30, allegedly assaulted her; a fourth, Scott Stevens, 26, was reported to be in the limousine at the time.

The girl, who does not want to be named, is particularly upset that some people -- including the accused players -- see the grand jury decision as a declaration of their innocence.

Sources close to the investigation have said that law enforcement authorities are certain that there was sexual activity in the limousine. But the sources said the grand jury did not believe the girl was forced to have sex. The players released a joint statement saying the decision "confirms our innocence."

"The grand jury's decision doesn't necessarily mean that they're guilty or not guilty," the girl said. "It's a case of finding whether there's enough evidence for a trial."

In interviews Friday and yesterday, the family said repeatedly that they would like the girl's side of the story told, but could not discuss the details of the alleged assault on the advice of their lawyers. The parents stressed that they wanted the public to know more about their daughter.

"This is not just a 17-year-old girl," her father said. "This is a girl who was raised with values and is loved and cherished."

"My daughter is not on trial," said her mother, "but I strongly feel at this point that she has been on trial. There's not one shred of doubt in her mind that she was raped, and there's not one shred of doubt in my mind at all."

Her parents said she has been deeply traumatized. She is undergoing counseling. She is no longer working. She moved back home several weeks ago after the lease ran out at the town house where she had lived.

"She's a very trusting person and she feels very betrayed because she trusted them," her mother said. "That's the hard part for her to rebuild: the ability to trust."

The teenager isn't the only one grappling with the situation. Her mother said that when she learned about the incident she went to her daughter's house with chicken soup. "I know it's silly, but I didn't know what else to do," she said.

And there is the anger, on everyone's part. "I'm mad as hell," her father said. "The anger is there and it is not over, it is not finished."

The girl's mother compared her feelings to the time 15 years ago when her son died in a farm accident at age 14. "I haven't buried my daughter. I love her very much," said the mother. "But I've buried her innocence that I had hoped she would have a lot longer."

The youngest of five children in a deeply religious family originally from Idaho and Utah, the girl is an avid athlete who first won a downhill skiing competition in first grade, earned ribbons at horse shows and won a gold medal for pre-Olympic figure skating.

Nonetheless, she said she is not much of a sports fan. She said she attended three or four Capitals games because she was friends with a player, but was not a "groupie."

Her parents describe her as outgoing, as well as a person of considerable perseverance.

That determination is evident. When her father said the family hopes to have the truth come out -- possibly through a lawsuit -- she corrected him.

"We don't hope," she said firmly. "It will."