Margaret Adams Stant, 84, a retired assistant professor at the University of Maryland where she taught early childhood education, died June 29 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore after surgery for a heart ailment.

She became an instructor at Maryland in 1950 and was an assistant professor from 1961 until retiring in 1969. She was the author of two books on education published by Prentice Hall.

Mrs. Stant, a native of Wilmington, Del., and a former Silver Spring resident, lived in the Washington area from 1926 until moving to Howard County in 1984. She lived in Elkridge, Md.

She received a teaching certificate in early childhood education from Temple University and bachelor's and master's degrees in education at the University of Maryland.

After moving here, she taught in a private Washington kindergarten before doing procurement work at the Treasury Department from 1933 to 1940. She then helped found the cooperative Silver Spring Nursery School. She was its director until 1950.

Mrs. Stant had served as president of the Howard County Hospital Auxiliary. She was a past chapter and national president of Phi Delta Gamma, a society of graduate school alumnae. She had served as an election judge and volunteer teacher's aide in Howard County.

Her husband, Aaronson Elwood Stant, died in 1963. Survivors include two daughters, Sandra Jean Stant of Elkridge, and Marianne Pindell of Dayton, Md.; and a grandson.


Army Colonel

Taylor R. Fulton, 64, a retired Army colonel and veteran of three wars who had lived in Chantilly since moving here in January 1989, died of cancer June 29 at his home.

Col. Fulton entered the Army in 1943, and served in Europe during World War II. He was commissioned shortly after the war and served in Korea during the war there. He commanded a combat engineer battalion with the 101st Airborne Division while serving in Vietnam from 1966 to 1967.

He graduated from the Army Command and Staff College and the Industrial College of the Armed Forces. His last assignment, before retiring in 1975, was as assistant chief of staff for logistics of Army forces in Korea.

His decorations included the Silver Star and Bronze Star, four awards of the Legion of Merit, four Air Medals, the Soldier's Medal and two Army Commendation medals.

From 1975 until retiring in January 1989, he had worked in marketing in Indonesia, the Philippines and South Korea.

His marriages to Margaret H. Fulton and Shirley Fulton both ended in divorce. His third wife, C.C. Fulton, died in October 1989.

Survivors include two sons by his first marriage, Steven, of Great Falls, Va., and Gregory, of New Jersey; four children by his second marriage, Judith Guerin of Phoenix, and Susan Phillips and James and Stephen Fulton, all of Honolulu; and two daughters by his third marriage, Annette and Lisa Fulton, both of Chantilly.


D.C. Teacher and Coach

Ruth Phillips Martinez, 92, a former Spanish teacher and tennis coach at Roosevelt High School in Washington, died June 25 at a nursing home in Oakland after a stroke.

Mrs. Martinez taught Spanish and other Romance languages for more than 40 years in the D.C. public school system. She was assigned to Roosevelt from 1932 until she retired in 1967, and also taught at Wilson Teachers College. In retirement, she was a substitute teacher.

A native of Takoma Park, Mrs. Martinez graduated from George Washington University, where she also received a master's degree in Spanish and Spanish-American studies. She also studied at the National University of Mexico.

As a young woman, she was a championship tennis player and in 1930 she won the Washington Public Parks women's singles tennis title. She was second in the national public parks championship that year.

For 10 years, Mrs. Martinez was chairman of the Spanish textbook committee for Washington's high schools. She was faculty adviser to the Spanish Club at Roosevelt High School and wrote articles on foreign languages and international relations. She was a translator for international conferences, the State Department and Latin American embassies.

In 1984, Mrs. Martinez moved to Oakland.

Her husband of 55 years, Manuel Guillermo Martinez, died in 1976.

Survivors include a daughter, Elizabeth Sutherland Martinez of San Francisco; and a granddaughter.



Shirley Irene McDonald, 59, a retired secretary at the State Department, died June 24 at a hospital in Easton, Pa., after a stroke.

Miss McDonald, who lived in Easton, was a native of New Jersey. She was a secretary before coming to the Washington area in 1965, when she went to work at the State Department. She was assigned to the United States International Communications Agency when she retired in 1979.

She moved to Pennsylvania from Arlington in 1984.

Survivors include her mother, Marie Sidoti of Easton; two brothers, Paul McDonald of Phillipsburg, N.J., and James McDonald of Easton; and a sister, Doris Apgar of Phillipsburg.


Church Member

Eleanor Futch Beall, 69, a member of Olivet Episcopal Church in Franconia, died of cancer June 27 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mrs. Beall, who lived in Franconia, was born in Crawfordsville, Ind. She moved to the Washington area shortly after World War II.

Her first husband, Jack Futch, to whom she was married for 25 years, died in 1975.

Survivors include her husband, Francis Beall of Franconia; two children from her first marriage, J. Thomas Futch of Franconia and Jenny Futch Featherstone of Woodbridge; and a grandson.


Forklift Operator

Phil Jones, 64, a retired forklift operator at the Army Corps of Engineers Center at Fort Belvoir, died of cancer June 26 at Washington Hospital Center.

Mr. Jones, who lived in Washington, was a native of Amherst, Va. During World War II, he served in the Navy.

He worked at several jobs after the war before going to work at Fort Belvoir in the early 1950s. He retired in 1984. Over the years, Mr. Jones also worked part time as a janitor for Joseph Mello Landscaping and Custodial Service in Brandywine. He stopped working there in 1986.

His wife, Naomi Kent Jones, died in 1982.

Survivors include six children, Philomenia J. Thomas of Upper Marlboro, Frazier Jones of Anderson, S.C., Phil Jones Jr. of Fort Bliss, Tex., Ellis Jones of Englewood, Calif., Bersail Jones of Washington and Deborah Jones of Silver Spring; his father, Lynwood Jones of Amherst; eight sisters, Alice and Georgia Jones, both of Washington, Josephine Hughes, Betty Jean Sales, Frances Rose and Rosetta Harris, all of Ahmherst, Alberta Godette of Philadephia and Corlelda Burrell of Paterson, N.J.; three brothers, Lynwood Jones of Cleveland and Percy and Henry Jones, both of Amherst; and 12 grandchildren.


Foreign Service Officer

Melville A. "Sandy" Sanderson Jr., 72, a retired Foreign Service officer who was an Army veteran of World War II and the Korean War, died of cancer and congestive heart failure June 28 at his home in McLean.

Mr. Sanderson was born in Newton, Mass., and grew up on various Army posts in the United States and the Philippines.

He graduated from the University of Alabama. In 1941, he went on active duty and served during World War II in the China-Burma-India theater. In 1955, he began working in U.S. foreign assistance programs in Seoul and Saigon.

In 1959, he became a Foreign Service officer and was posted in Syria, Japan, Sri Lanka, Iraq, Pakistan, Sudan and Oman, in addition to assignments in Washington.

He retired from the State Department in 1978, then sold real estate with Vienna-based Roberts & Lloyd.

Survivors include his wife, Ilse Sanderson of McLean; four children, Michael C. Sanderson, who is stationed in South Korea, Renate Archibald of Ottawa, Canada, Ivy West of Falls Church and Dana Sanderson of Arlington; and seven grandchildren.


Marketing Manager

Bonnie L. Ford, 44, a manager of marketing programs at the Society of Human Resource Management in Alexandria, died June 28 at George Washington University Hospital. She had scleroderma, a degenerative disease of the connective tissue.

Mrs. Ford, who lived in Alexandria, was a native of Cleveland. She graduated from Ohio University and received a master's degree in business administration from North Texas State University.

She was a marketing director in Dallas before she came to the Washington area in 1987 to work for the Society of Human Resource Management, a nonprofit association.

Her marriage to Frederick C. Ford ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Ann Kathryn Ford and Jill Erin Ford, both of Plano, Tex.; and her father, Robert McNutt, and a brother, William McNutt, both of Fairview Park, Ohio.