New York Lawyer

Eli Whitney Debevoise, 90, who in 1930 was one of the founders of what is now the New York law firm of Debevoise & Plimpton and retired as its presiding partner in 1972, died June 30 at his home in Manhattan. The cause of death was not reported.

The firm employs about 300 lawyers and has offices in New York, Washington, Los Angeles, London, and Paris. Mr. Debevoise and his firm served as counsel in the bankruptcy proceedings of Ivar Kreuger, "the Swedish Match King," in the early 1930s and represented Alger Hiss during two perjury trials in the 1950s. Later clients included the Ford Motor Co.

Mr. Debevoise was a 1921 graduate of Yale University and a 1925 graduate of Harvard University law school. From 1951 to 1953, he was general counsel and deputy U.S. high commissioner for Germany.


Indonesian Attorney General

Soekarton Marmosudjono, 50, a navy commodore who had served as attorney general of Indonesia since March 1988, died June 29 in Jakarta after a heart attack.

He was a law graduate of the state-run Gajah Mada University in Jogjakarta, Central Java.


World War II Veteran

Richard Walter English, 81, a retired Army lieutenant colonel and decorated World War II veteran who worked for three decades to have his all-black battalion to receive a Presidential Unit Citation, died June 26 at his home in New Orleans. The cause of death was not reported.

He fought with the 761st Tank Battalion, which was credited with capturing 30 towns in France, Belgium and Germany. It was part of Gen. George S. Patton's Third Army. President Carter presented the citation to the unit in 1978. In addition to the Presidential Citation, Col. English received the Purple Heart.

Col. English spent more than two decades in the army before retiring in the mid-1960s. After leaving the Army, he was a teacher and school principal before retiring a second time.


Baseball Player, Coach, Scout

Joseph O'Rourke, 85, who spent 44 years in professional baseball as a player, manager and scout, died June 27 at his home in Philadelphia. The cause of death was not reported.

He played briefly with the Philadelphia Phillies in the 1920s. He managed in the minor leagues and scouted for eight years for the Chicago White Sox, beginning in 1936. He was hired by the Philadelphia Athletics in 1944 as a regional scout. He stayed with the Athletics through their move to Kansas City until 1961, when he went to work for the Washington Senators.