Lloyd Walter Hazleton, 79, a founder and retired president of Hazleton Laboratories Inc., a biotechnology research company, died of cancer June 30 at his home in McLean.

Dr. Hazleton was a founding member of the Fairfax Hospital board. He served on the board from 1959 to 1974, the last two years as president.

In 1946, he and his wife, Harriet Rosenzweig Hazleton, founded the company on the grounds of an old country schoolhouse in Fairfax. Their first year in business, Dr. Hazleton worked part time at a pharmacy in the Westover section of Arlington to make ends meet.

The company eventually became one of the world's largest biological testing services, doing pre-tests of new chemicals and chemical compounds for virtually major chemical, cosmetic and pharmaceutical manufacturer.

Over the years, the company opened laboratories and offices in California, Switzerland and Jamaica, as well as a cancer drug-screening laboratory in Reston. Mr. Hazleton sold the business in 1968 and retired. The company, now headquartered in Herndon, is the Hazleton Laboratories Corp.

Dr. Hazleton was a native of Washington state. He graduated from the University of Washington, where he also received a master's degree in pharmacy and a doctoral degree in pharmacology. He was a member of Sigma Xi, a scientific honors society.

Dr. Hazelton came to the Washington area in 1939 when he joined the faculty at Georgetown University medical school as a pharmacology professor. He went to George Washington University two years later and taught pharmacology at its medical school until he founded Hazleton Laboratories.

Dr. Hazleton was a founding member and past president of the National Society of Toxicology. He was a fellow of the Washington Academy of Sciences, the New York Academy of Science and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He was a member of the American Chemical Society.

In 1967, he was named man of the year by the Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce, and in 1982 he recieved the toxicology education award from the Forum for the Advancement of Toxicology.

Dr. Hazleton had served as a board member of the Sovran National Bank, Providence Savings & Loan Association in Vienna and the Langley School in McLean. He had been a member of the Northern Virginia Power Squadron in Arlington and the Lord Calvert Yacht Club in Solomons, Md.

His first wife, Harriet, died in 1986.

Survivors include his wife, Grace Murphy Hazleton of McLean; three children, Elaine Bolton of Griffin, Ga., William Hazleton of Atlanta and Mary Wills of Alexandria; a sister, June Cole of Vancouver, Wash.; and six grandchildren.


Commerce Department Official

Arthur L. Levine, 56, a retired director of the financial assistance division of the Commerce Department's International Trade Administration, died of cancer June 30 at his home in Rockville.

Mr. Levine was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. He graduated from Purdue University and received a law degree from the University of Pennsylvania. He served in the Navy from 1957 to 1960.

In 1963, he moved to the Washington area and began his career at the Commerce Department as a patent examiner in the U.S. Patent Office. In 1966, he transferred to the Economic Development Administration, where he was senior adviser to the deputy assistant secretary of commerce for the development of finance.

In 1981, Mr. Levine began his work at the International Trade Administration, and he retired in 1985. He sold real estate for about a year, but had to retire for health reasons.

Mr. Levine was a member of the D.C. and New York bar associations. He was secretary and treasurer of the Wheaton lodge of B'nai B'rith, a member of the board of the Arlington Opera Theater and the nation chief of the Montgomery County YMCA Indian Guides.

Survivors include his wife, Marlene Levine, and three children, Richard, Louis and Edward Levine, all of Rockville; and a brother, Bart Lewis of Birmingham, Mich.



Peter Edward Terzick, 86, a retired national treasurer of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America and a retired editor of the union's monthly magazine, died July 1 of pulmonary arrest at the Manor Care Nursing Home in Wheaton. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Terzick, who lived in Silver Spring, was a native of British Columbia. He moved to Seattle in the early 1920s as a student at the University of Washington.

In the early 1930s he joined the Carpenter's Union as a lumber and sawmill worker in Washington state. He later was editor of the union's Pacific Northwest magazine. During World War II, he transferred to the union's headquarters in Indianapolis to become editor of its monthly magazine, "The Carpenter."

In 1961, he transferred to Washington when the Carpenter's Union moved its headquarters here. He became treasurer that same year and later director legislative director. He held these jobs until he retired in 1971.

Mr. Terzick was a past president of the International Labor Press Association and a past regional vice-president of the American Forestry Association.

His hobbies included writing poetry.

Survivors include his wife, Hazel M. Terzick of Silver Spring; a daughter, Jane Terzick Varner of Herndon; a sister, Doris Georgeson of Vancouver, B.C.; and a grandchild.


Marine Corps Colonel

Theodore Stevenen Eschholz, 64, who served 35 years in the Marine Corps before retiring in 1980 as a colonel, died of cancer June 29 at his home in Potomac.

Col. Eschholz entered the Marines in 1945 and served an occupation tour in Nagasaki, Japan. He later was stationed in China.

He was a battery commander in the 1st Marine Division in Korea from 1953 to 1954. He was a battalion commander on Okinawa in the mid-1960s, then was executive officer of the 1st Marine Division's 11th Marine regiment in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969.

Later assignments included a tour at the Pentagon on the staff of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He spent his last two years on the Naval Medical Discharge Review Board in Bethesda. His decorations included the Bronze Star and Legion of Merit, both with combat "v," and the Navy Commendation and Meritorious Service medals.

From 1981 until last month, he had worked at Poch's hardware in Potomac.

Col. Eschholz, who had maintained a home here since 1965, was born in Hartford and grew up in Andover, Mass. He received a bachelor's degree in animal husbandry from the University of Massachusetts.

He was a member of the Fox Hills Civic Association in Potomac, the Military Order of the World Wars and the 1st Marine Division Association.

Survivors include his wife, Alice E. Jane Eschholz, and a son, T.S. Eschholz Jr., both of Potomac.


Auto Parts Salesman

Paul Hughes, 69, an area wholesale auto parts saleman for more than 35 years before retiring in 1983 from Community Auto Parts of Bethesda, died June 29 at Suburban Hospital. He had cancer.

He worked for several companies, including the Miller and Dudley Co. and the Southern Distributors auto parts dealership, before joining Community Auto Parts.

Mr. Hughes, who lived in Bethesda, was a native of Russell County, Va.

He moved here after serving with the Marine Corps in the Pacific during World War II.

Survivors include his wife, Mildred M., of Bethesda; a daughter, Paula Dunn of Ridley Park, Pa., a stepdaughter, Patricia DuPree of Arlington; a brother, Herbert H., of Bradshaw, W.Va.; three sisters, Ruby Jennings of Springfield, and Pauline Vencill and Bonnie Branscombe, both of Manassas; and four grandchildren.


CIA Officer

Richard D. Hasty, 62, a retired CIA officer and a retired executive with General Electric Corp. in Washington, died June 24 at Fairfax Hospital after a stroke.

Mr. Hasty, who lived in Springfield, was a native of Michigan. He served in the Marine Corps from 1945 to 1949.

He joined the CIA in 1950 and spent most of his career as a logistics officer, serving here and abroad. He retired in 1980. His decorations included the Intelligence Star.

He then went to work at GE, where he was a logistics executive until he retired a second time in June.

Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Jeanne Hasty of Springfield; 12 children, Patricia Carswell and Kathleen Rogers, both of Springfield, Joanne Haaga and Elizabeth Hasty-Mann, both of Charleston, W.Va., Theresa Hasty of Alexandria, Dennis Hasty of San Francisco, Michael Hasty of Washington, Cecelia Gaegler of Bowie, and Kenneth Hasty, Russell Hasty, Marjorie Hasty and Steven Hasty, all of West Palm Beach, Fla.; 15 grandchildren, and a great-grandchild.


FEMA Lawyer

William R. Booker Jr., 68, a retired Federal Emergency Management Agency lawyer, died of cancer June 26 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mr. Booker, who lived in Arlington, was born in Greenville, Mich. He graduated from Northwestern University and the University of Michigan law school.

He moved to the Washington area from Battle Creek, Mich., in 1962 and worked here for FEMA and its predecessor agencies until retiring this year.

He was a specialist on civil defense and defense mobilization law, and had received special recognition for his work on the revision of executive orders issued in November 1988 that assigned national security emergency preparedness responsibilities to federal departments and agencies.

He was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth Booker of Arlington; two children, William R. Booker III of Arlington and Kathleen Sherman of Sioux Falls, S.D.; three sisters, Marjorie Harwood of Marathon Shores, Fla., Doleen Holt of Muskegon, Mich., and Jeanne Fisher of Spring Lake, Mich.; and two grandchildren.


Real Estate Agent, Broker

Marwyn M. Byrd, 61, an Alexandria real estate agent and broker since 1960 who was a member of Bellview Baptist Church in Alexandria, died of a brain tumor June 30 at Manor Care nursing home in Arlington.

She helped found Crest Realty in Alexandria in 1960 and served as its treasurer until her death. Mrs. Byrd, who lived in Alexandria, was a native of Washington.

Survivors include her husband of 44 years, Maurice L. Byrd of Alexandria; two sons, Wayne M., of Vienna, and Maurice Jr., of Raleigh, N.C.; two daughters, Linda Taylor of Myrtle Beach, S.C., and Diane Vabolis of Alexandria; her mother, Edith McKeaver of Waldorf, Md.; four brothers, Steve McKeaver of Dobson, N.C., Buddy McKeaver of Waldorf, and Richard and Gary McKeaver, both of North Beach, Md.; a sister, Carol Jean McKeaver of Riverdale; and seven grandchildren.