William Norman McLeod Jr., 83, a former chief clerk of the House Committee on the District of Columbia and a retired lawyer and lobbyist, died June 28 at Arlington Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. McLeod served on the staff of the House District Committee from 1946 until he resigned in 1962, a time before Home Rule when the city's affairs were entirely in the hands of Congress. He was chief clerk for all of those years except for 1948 to 1950, when Republicans controlled the House.

He came to the committee through a previous association with Rep. John L. McMillan, a conservative South Carolina Democrat who was its chairman. As the committee's top staff person and spokesman, Mr. McLeod kept in contact with local groups, and he was widely regarded as having an influence on District affairs that went far beyond the legal description of his job.

A 1964 story in The Washington Post said of Mr. McLeod: "Certainly there can be no question that McLeod's contacts ran wide and deep. He had a knack for getting things done. Policemen, firemen, taxi operators and other people pushing -- or trying to stop -- legislation knew that McLeod was a good man to see."

By the early 1960s, however, the relationship between Mr. McLeod and McMillan had soured. In early 1962, he was replaced as committee spokesman. He resigned at the end of that year.

Mr. McLeod, who lived in McLean, was born in North Carolina and raised in South Carolina. He attended Clemson University and was a graduate of the old National University Law School in Washington.

During the 1920s, he worked as a stockbroker in New York City. After the stock market crash of 1929, he worked at several jobs in Virginia and South Carolina. It was in South Carolina that he first went to work for McMillan.

In 1939, Mr. McLeod came to Washington as an assistant to the chief clerk of the House of Representatives. He held that job until he was appointed to the House District Committee.

After leaving the committee, he was a lobbyist for various interests until retiring in 1979.

He was a Mason and a collector of Currier & Ives prints.

His wife, Margaret Mary White McLeod, died in 1980. Survivors include two children, Janet Leigh Derby of Hopkinson, Mass., and William Norman McLeod III of Vienna; and three grandchildren.


Public Health Service Nurse

Ann Forrest Matthews, 82, a nurse in the U.S. Public Health Service in which she held the rank of captain, died of cancer July 1 at Bethesda Naval Hospital.

Miss Matthews, who lived in Rockville, was born in Washington state. She moved to this area about 1913. She graduated from Western High School. She graduated from St. Vincent's School of Nursing in New York City, received a bachelor's degree in nursing from Catholic University and a master's degree in hospital administration from Columbia University.

She was a nurse in Washington and elsewhere until joining the Public Health Service in 1945. She was assigned to the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration and sent to Germany, where she worked in the displaced persons program.

She returned to the Washington area to attend Catholic University in 1947. In 1949, she became a nurse director with the Public Health Service. Over the next 23 years, she worked in Boston, Anchorage, Chicago and Charlottesville. She transferred to the director's office of the nursing division in 1970. She retired in 1972.

Miss Matthews was a member of the Colonial Dames of America.

Survivors include two sisters, Elizabeth Matthews Black of Rockville and Frances Key Matthews Waggaman of El Toro, Calif.


Engineering Technician

Guy H. "Jack" Seaver, 69, a retired engineering technician at the Naval Research Laboratory, died of congestive heart failure June 30 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Seaver, a resident of Springfield, was born in Tacoma, Va. He moved to the Washington area in the early 1940s. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe.

After the war, he worked briefly for the Naval Torpedo Factory, then joined the Naval Research Laboratory. He retired in 1978.

He was a member of Grace Presbyterian Church in Springfield.

Survivors include his wife, Mary K. Seaver, whom he married in 1945, of Springfield; and a daughter, Jackie Seaver Cominotti of Houston.