LOS ANGELES -- Bill Cullen, 70, the dean of game show hosts whose 35 network credits included such popular series as "To Tell the Truth" and "The Price Is Right," died July 7 at his home in Los Angeles. He had lung cancer.

Among the other game shows he moderated were "The Joker's Wild," "The Love Experts," "Name That Tune," "Pass the Buck," "Place the Face," "Quick as a Flash," "Three on a Match," "The $25,000 Pyramid," "Winner Take All" and "Winning Streak."

As a celebrity panelist and master of ceremonies, Mr. Cullen was a down-to-earth and witty personality who was invited by Americans into their living rooms for more than 40 years.

He was a familiar face as the glib panelist on CBS's "I've Got a Secret" from 1952 to 1967. He also was host of the original "Price Is Right" from 1957 to 1964 on NBC and later on ABC.

He appeared on radio and television game shows from 1944 through 1988.

Mr. Cullen, an amiable, collegiate-looking host with horn-rimmed glasses and an elfish grin, appeared on more than 35 network radio and television programs, beginning as an announcer but quickly becoming popular as a master of ceremonies or host.

"I never considered myself a top-flight announcer," he once said. "I'm not an actor . . . . But this I can do."

He said that he relished the hosting role because "they want me to be myself."

"I hope never to be a big, really big, star," Cullen told the New York Times in 1958. "I may never be one in any case. But I've seen too many big names burn themselves out on television."

He made the cover of the national edition of TV Guide seven times between 1954 and 1984, including twice in one month in 1964.

William Lawrence Cullen was born in Pittsburgh. When he was 18 months old, he was stricken with infantile paralysis, which gave him a permanent limp and focused his career options.

"Polio moved me out of physical effort," he said, "and forced me into a mental manner of living."

Working in his father's garage as a mechanic and tow truck driver, he entertained co-workers by imitating local radio announcers. The mimicry eventually led to an audition for a job as an unpaid announcer for tiny radio station WWSW in Pittsburgh.

He moved to New York in 1944 and quickly profited from the shortage of network personnel caused by the war. Within a week, he was hired by Columbia Broadcasting System as a staff radio announcer.

Mr. Cullen shied away from television as it emerged, fearing his physical handicap would mar his success. But in 1952, he agreed to appear as a panelist on "I've Got a Secret," where the panel remained seated and his limp would not be evident. He remained on the show as panelist or host for its entire 15 years.

He left CBS to freelance, and by 1954 Cullen was on three national television programs and two network radio shows. He was named host of "The Price Is Right," in which panelists chosen from the studio audience tried to guess the price of luxury prizes. The show survived charges of corruption that ended many giveaway programs in 1958, and ran successfully from 1956 to 1965.

He was a regular panelist on "To Tell the Truth," "Where Was I?" and "You're Putting Me On."

Survivors include his wife of 35 years, Ann, of Los Angeles.


Spanish Embassy Official

Javier Malagon, 79, a Spanish Embassy cultural counselor who also had been a writer, historian and teacher, died of pneumonia July 6 at George Washington University Hospital. He lived in Bethesda.

He had worked at the embassy of Spain here for the past 12 years. Before that, from 1953 to 1978, he had worked for the Organization of American States. He became that agency's cultural affairs director and its executive secretary for education, science and culture.

Dr. Malagon was a native of Toledo, Spain, and received a doctorate in law at the University of Madrid.

He left his native country after fighting on the side of the Republic during the Spanish Civil War. He came to this country from Mexico in 1953.

Dr. Malagon taught history courses for many years at Catholic University and American University here. He also had lectured at universities in Europe and Latin America. He had written works on Spain's culture and colonial history. He also wrote about exiles from the Spanish Civil War.

Survivors include his wife, the former Helena Perenya, and a daughter, Maria Helena Schaub, both of Bethesda; two sisters, Carmen and Maruja Malagon, both of Madrid; two brothers, Carlos, of Granada, Spain, and Ricardo, of Madrid; and two granddaughters.



Lempira E. Bonilla, 69, a retired official at the Inter-American Development Bank, died of a heart attack July 2 at a hospital in Tegucigalpa, Honduras.

Mr. Bonilla, who lived in Tegucigalpa, was a native of Honduras. He came to the United States in the mid-1940s and settled in the Washington area. He graduated from George Washington University, where he also received a master's degree in economics.

In the late 1940s, he was an economic attache at the Honduran Embassy here and later an economist at the World Bank. In the mid-1950s, he went to the International Monetary Fund and worked there until 1964, when he joined the Inter-American Development Bank. He became an executive director in 1969 and headed the bank's office in Bolivia from 1970 to 1975, and the Trinidad office from 1980 to 1982.

He then returned to Honduras, where he was an executive with the National Investment Corp. of Honduras. He retired in 1984.

Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Gladys Hardy Bonilla of Tegucigalpa; a son, Carlos E. Bonilla of Chevy Chase; and three grandchildren.



Ella L. Maples, 84, a retired government clerk, died of cardiac arrest July 4 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mrs. Maples, who lived in Silver Spring, was a Washington native. She graduated from Armstrong High School and attended Miner Teachers College.

She started as a government clerk in 1946. Over the years she worked for several federal agencies, including the Census Bureau and the Treasury Department. Her last job was at the Veterans Administration. She retired in 1971.

She then moved to San Jose, where she operated a catering business until the mid-1970s. She returned to the Washington area in 1979.

Mrs. Maples was a member of the American Legion Auxiliary in Washington, the Clarksburg Senior Citizens, the Retired Senior Volunteer Program in Silver Spring and the Ridgeley Family Association.

Her marriage to Frederick B. Maples ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Lorraine Maples Drew of Silver Spring and Frederick M. Maples of Washington; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.


Service Club Manager

Mary Beard, 79, the manager of the Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen's Club in Washington from 1968 until it closed in 1982, died July 5 at Georgetown University Hospital after heart surgery.

Mrs. Beard received the Defense Medal for Outstanding Public Service when she retired.

A native of Shrewsbury, England, she came to this country in 1946 to marry William Henry Beard, a physician whom she met when he was a flight surgeon with the Army Air Forces in England during World War II. She had lived in Washington since then.

Mrs. Beard was a volunteer at the visitors' center of the Washington Cathedral and a member of the Army & Navy Club.

Her husband died in 1971.

Survivors include a daughter, Daphne Beard King of Washington.


OAS Music Director

Guillermo Espinosa, 85, a retired director of the music division of the Organization of American States, died July 5 at his home in Washington. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Espinosa joined the music division of the Pan American Union, now the Organization of American States, in 1947. He was named chief of the music division in 1953, and in 1958 he organized the first Inter-American Music Festival to be held in Washington. Over the years he arranged several similar festivals here.

In 1956, he helped organize the Inter-American Music Council to stimulate musical study in the hemisphere. The council conducted a number of conferences on education and related topics throughout the Americas and contributed to three festivals on the music of the Americas and Spain that were held in Madrid from 1964 to 1970.

Through the Organization of American States, Mr. Espinosa arranged for the publication of the Inter-American Music Bulletin and of scores by Latin American composers.

A native of Cartagena, Colombia, Mr. Espinosa was educated in Colombia and Europe. In 1932, he organized an Inter-American Music Festival in Caracas, Venezuela, the first of its kind. For 10 years before coming to Washington, he was conductor of the National Symphony Orchestra of Colombia.

Mr. Espinosa received numerous honors, including the rank of commander in the Order of Isabel the Catholic from Spain and the Order of Merit from Colombia. He also was awarded the Gold Medal of the Composers of the Americas. He was a member of the Cosmos Club in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Lucille Espinosa of Washington; a daughter, Myra Botero of Bogota; and three grandchildren.


Trade Group Official

James I. Collier Jr., 61, a retired general attorney of the Association of American Railroads, died of a heart ailment June 29 at Fairfax Hospital. He died after surgery for cancer.

He came here in 1957 and spent the next three years as a lawyer with the Interstate Commerce Commission. He was a lawyer with the Central Georgia Railway in Savannah, Ga., from 1960 to 1962.

Mr. Collier then practiced law in Washington until 1965. He became affiliated with the American Short Line Railroad Association in 1963 and was its vice president and general counsel when he left in 1968.

He spent a year as an attorney-adviser with the Federal Railroad Administration before joining the Association of American Railroads in 1969. He worked there until retiring in 1985.

Mr. Collier, who lived in Springfield, was a native of Charlottesville. He was a graduate of the University of Virginia and its law school. He served in the Air Force in the early 1950s.

He was a member of First Baptist Church of Annandale, where he was a deacon, Sunday school teacher and choir member.

Survivors include his wife, the former Gay Strickler, of Springfield; two sons, Jerry Wayne Collier of Six Mile, S.C., and Glenn Alan Collier of Arlington; a daughter, Gloria Jean Schneider of Tulsa; his father, James I., of Charlottesville; two brothers, Harold L., of Eagan, Minn., and Wayne E., of Chattanooga, Tenn.; a sister, Earline E. Wells of Atlanta; and six grandchildren.



Dorothy L. Wills, 83, a Washington journalist who was known professionally as Peg Eck, died of emphysema July 7 at the Manor Care nursing home in Towson, Md.

Mrs. Wills was born in Washington. She graduated from Eastern High School and attended Marjorie Webster Junior College.

During World War II, she was a public affairs employee of the Board of Economic Warfare. In 1943, she went to work for WMAL Radio, where she was news editor until 1951. Among the events she helped cover were the national political conventions preceding the 1948 presidential campaign.

In the mid-1950s, she and her second husband, David H. Wills, an NBC correspondent, founded Dave Eck Associates, a news service through which they published articles in National Geographic magazine and elsewhere. They also published a book, "Total Victory Without Atomic War," which was based on broadcasts Mr. Wills made on the NBC Three Star Extra radio news program. They continued the news service until Mr. Wills died in 1985.

Mrs. Wills, a resident of McLean until moving to Baltimore in 1986, was a member of the National Press Club, the American Newspaper Women's Club and the Radio Correspondents Association.

Her marriage to John P. Eck ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son by her first marriage, John P. Eck of Baltimore, and a grandchild.