John C. Carroll, 68, a retired executive vice president of the Communications Workers of America and the union's former chief contract negotiator with the Bell System, died of congestive heart failure July 7 at Washington Hospital Center. He lived in Forestville.

Mr. Carroll came to Washington in 1972 as a special assistant to the union's national president. He was elected executive vice president in 1980. He was reelected in 1983 and 1986. He held that post until retiring in October 1988.

He was the union's chief collective bargaining negotiator with the Bell System from 1976 to 1983, then its lead bargaining agent with the seven new Bell companies. He also had been national negotiator with American Telephone & Telegraph in the mid-1970s.

Upon his death, union President Morton Bahr said, "We have lost one of the true giants of our union."

Mr. Carroll was a native of Alhambra, Calif., and began his career with Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Co. in California.

He served with the Coast Guard in the Pacific during World War II. After the war, he returned to PT&T. He worked on CWA bargaining committees from 1951 until joining the union's staff full-time in 1955.

He went to Denver as assistant to the district union vice president in 1960. Five years later, he was elected vice president of the seven-state western district.

His marriage to the former Mary Lou Carroll ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Mays-Carroll of Forestville; two daughters by his first marriage, Nancy Blanning of Denver and Ginger Golz of Akron, Ohio; a stepson, David Rea of Denver; a stepdaughter, Carmen Mays of Forestville; a brother, Joe, of Lake San Marcos, Calif.; two sisters, Catherine Auld of Pasadena, Calif., and Sister Bernadette Mary Carroll, who is with the Sisters of Providence in Orange County, Calif.; and six grandchildren.


Navy Official

John J. Bettino, 52, an engineer and manager with the Naval Air Systems Command, where he had worked since moving here in 1959, died of cancer July 7 at George Washington University Hospital. He lived in Fairfax.

He worked on aircraft weapons engineering projects. At the time of his death, he was the executive director for acquisition management and assistant to the deputy commander of the Naval Air Systems Command.

His government awards included a 1987 Presidential Meritorious Executive Rank Award.

Mr. Bettino was a native of Weirton, W.Va. He was a 1959 graduate of West Virginia University, where he received a degree in mechanical engineering.

He was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Fairfax Station.

Survivors include his wife, Marcy, and a son, John, both of Fairfax; a daughter, Cathy Marinacci of Woodbridge; his mother, Virginia Bettino of Weirton; a brother, Donald, of Annandale; two sisters, Lisa Grossi of Weirton and Constance Bettino of La Jolla, Calif.; and a granddaughter.


Hebrew Sisterhood President

Louise G. Baum, 81, a past president of the Sisterhood at Washington Hebrew Congregation who also was chairman of the Golden Age Club at the Jewish Community Center, died of cardiac arrest July 6 at the National Hospital for Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation.

Mrs. Baum, a resident of Arlington, was born in Washington. She graduated from the old Central High School and American University.

She received the Woman of Valor award from the Jewish Community Center in 1975 for her volunteer work. She was a member of the Woodmont Country Club, the National Council of Jewish Women and the board of directors of H. Baum & Sons, an office furniture company that was owned by her family.

Her husband, Martin J. Baum, died in 1978.

Survivors include two children, Charles Baum of Arlington and Elaine B. Morris of Fairfax; a brother, Alan H. Goldenberg of San Francisco; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Library Assistant

Margaret Wilkes, 73, who was a library assistant with Montgomery County Public Schools from about 1970 to 1978, died July 6 at her home in Annapolis. She had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

She worked at several schools, including Kensington and Garrett Park elementary schools. From 1984 to 1989, she worked as a proofreader of the Encyclopedia of Architecture.

Mrs. Wilkes was born in Nottingham, England, and came to this country in 1946. She settled first in New York, then came here from Florida in 1959. She lived in Kensington until moving to Annapolis in 1978.

She received an associate's degree from Montgomery College.

Her hobbies included flower arranging and travel.

Survivors include her husband, Joseph, of Annapolis, and two sons, Jeffrey, of Washington, and Roger, of Edgewater.


Scottish Rite Employee

Olwyn Davis Lundell, 79, a retired office employee of Supreme Council 33 of the Scottish rite, a Masonic organization, died of congestive heart failure July 6 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mrs. Lundell, a resident of Silver Spring, was born in Stanardsville, Va. She moved to Washington in the early 1940s and worked at the National War College during World War II. She worked for Supreme Council 33 of the Scottish rite in Washington for 24 years until retiring in 1982.

Her husband, Clarence Lundell, died in 1956. A son, Wayne Thomas Lundell, was killed in action in Vietnam in 1965 while serving in the Army.

Survivors include two daughters, Jeane Beschenbossel of Davidsonville, Md., and Lee Lane of Arlington; a brother, Thomas Jarrell of Carson, Va.; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Naval Research Lab Comptroller

John P. Donovan, 77, a retired comptroller of the Naval Research Laboratory, died of cancer July 7 at his home in Annapolis.

Mr. Donovan was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and grew up in the Panama Canal Zone. He received a degree in business administration from Rider College in New Jersey and was a Navy veteran of World War II.

After the war, he held civilian accounting and budget posts with the Navy in Boston. He moved to this area in 1959 and spent the next five years as a financial officer at the Goddard Space Flight Center. He joined the Naval Research Lab as comptroller in 1964 and held that post until retiring in 1973.

A former resident of Glenn Dale in Prince George's County, Mr. Donovan had lived in Annapolis since 1973.

He was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Annapolis and was a past grand knight of the Knights of Columbus. He also had been a member of the Master Swim Association.

Survivors include his wife, Sarah, of Annapolis; three daughters, Mary Berman of Germantown, Martha Donovan of Washington and Anne Sachs of Annapolis; a sister, Eileen Donovan of Clearwater, Fla.; and six grandchildren.


Army Department Employee

William Augustus Blount Stewart, 69, a retired Army Department employee who had done volunteer genealogical work for such organizations as the Daughters of the American Revolution, died of an aneurysm July 7 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mr. Stewart, who lived in Washington, was a native of North Carolina. He moved here and joined the old War Department as a civilian in 1942. After World War II active duty with the Army, he returned to the War Department as a civilian. He retired in 1974 as a civilian management officer in its ordnance branch.

He was a member of the Army & Navy Club and attended the Washington Cathedral. He was a founder of the Society of the Descendants of Signers of the Declaration of Independence.

Survivors include three brothers, N. Haywood Stewart of Johnson City, Tenn., and Harry E. and Donald E. Stewart, both of Raleigh, N.C.


NLRB Lawyer

William Boetticher, 71, an independent labor arbitrator since 1977 who was a retired lawyer with the National Labor Relations Board, died July 7 at his home in Rockville after a heart attack.

He worked for the NLRB for 26 years before retiring in 1977.

Mr. Boetticher was a native of Melrose, Mont., and a graduate of the University of Montana and its law school. He served with the Army in Europe during World War II and received the Purple Heart. He came to this area about 1970 from Chicago.

Survivors include his wife, Helene, and a son, John, both of Rockville; two daughters, Amy Glaudemans of Silver Spring and Sally Boetticher of Rockville; and a granddaughter.


GSA Systems Analyst

Eileen M. Richardson, 45, a systems analyst with the General Services Administration who was a member of St. Margaret's Episcopal Church in Woodbridge, died of cancer July 8 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

She had worked for the GSA for the past 26 years. Mrs. Richardson, who lived in Woodbridge, was born in Washington. She graduated from Groveton High School in Alexandria.

Her marriage to Robert L. Richardson ended in divorce. Her survivors include three children, Michelle, Renee and Kathleen Richardson, all of Woodbridge; her mother and stepfather, June D. and Randal L. Thomas, a sister, Pat Bennett, and a half-brother, Kevin Thomas, all of Alexandria.


Arlington Resident

Gwen E. Van Valkenburgh, 82, a longtime area resident who had worked at the old Peck & Peck clothing store in Washington from 1953 to 1955, died July 6 at a nursing home in Boulder, Colo., after a stroke. She had moved to Boulder from Arlington three months ago.

Mrs. Van Valkenburgh was born in Winnipeg, Canada, and came to the United States in 1927. Before coming here in 1951, she had lived in Chicago and had been a buyer and store manager with the May Co.

Her husband, Robert A. Van Valkenburgh, whom she married in 1942, died in 1965. Survivors include a son, Dennis, of Boulder; and three grandchildren.


Area Resident Since 1979

Pacita V. Vitug, 78, an area resident since coming to this country from her native Philippines in 1979, died of cardiac arrest July 5 at George Washington University Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Her husband, Isabelo, died in 1971. Her survivors include five children, Teresita Vitug of Washington, Thelma V. Evangelista of the Philippines, Myrna V. Centeno of Germantown, and Manolito and Gerardo Vitug, both of California; three brothers and a sister, all of the Philippines; and 16 grandchildren.