Gerald L. Keyser, 72, a retired D.C. police detective lieutenant, died of cancer July 7 at Winter Haven Hospital in Winter Haven, Fla.
Mr. Keyser, a resident of Indian Lake Estates, Fla., was born in Hot Springs, Va. He moved to Washington in 1941.
He joined the D.C. police department in 1942 and retired on physicial disability in 1970.
A former resident of Adelphi, he divided his time in retirement between St. Leonard, Md., and Indian Lake Estates. In 1988, he moved to Indian Lake Estates permanently.
Mr. Keyser was a Mason and a former member of the Almas Temple of the Shrine. He also had been a member of Adelphia Presbyterian Church and Waters Memorial United Methodist Church in St. Leonard.
Survivors include his wife, Corilda C. Keyser, whom he married in 1941, of Indian Lake Estates; three children, Gerald L. Keyser Jr. of Mesa, Ariz., Anne Christensen of Boston and Robert B. Keyser of Sumter, S.C.; a sister, Anne Hoagland of Vass, N.C.; five grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.
EDWARD E. JAMES SR.
Edward Everett James Sr., 67, a retired General Motors Corp. patent attorney who was a member of several groups at Hughes United Methodist Church in Wheaton, died July 2 in Rancho Mirage, Calif., after a heart attack. He was vacationing in California when he was stricken.
Mr. James, who lived in Silver Spring, was a native of Iowa. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces. After the war, he graduated from the University of Wisconsin and its law school.
In 1951, he came to Washington as a patent attorney for General Motors. He transferred to Detroit in 1953 and returned here in 1965. He retired in 1974 and worked as a patent consultant until 1988.
At Hughes United Methodist Church, Mr. James was a past president of the Full Gospel Businessmen's Fellowship and a past president of the Methodist Men. He had been a volunteer with the Boy Scouts and a member of Gideon's International.
Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Geneva W. James of Silver Spring; six children, Kathryn Shaw of Detroit, Edward E. James Jr. of Colorado Springs, Patricia Louise James and Robert Patrick James, both of Palm Springs, Calif., Richard Allan James of Poolesville and David Forrest Michael James of Upper Marlboro; three sisters, Margaret Ann James of Madison, Wis., Kathleen Rosemary Lewis of Lafayette, Ind., and Janet Marilyn Waugh of Asuncion, Paraguay; and 11 grandchildren.
VERA SHEFFIELD MAIGRET
Vera Sheffield Maigret, 89, a retired teacher in Anne Arundel County who also had taught in Alexandria, died July 9 at the Leewood Nursing Home in Annandale. She had Alzheimer's disease.
Mrs. Maigret, a resident of Falls Church, was born in Lewisburg, Ky. She attended Western Kentucky State Teachers College in Bowling Green, Ky. From 1929 to 1933, she lived in Annapolis when her husband, John A. Maigret, taught Romance languages at the U.S. Naval Academy.
In 1933, she moved to Alexandria. During World War II, she was a substitute teacher at George Washington High School there. She later taught Latin and English at St. Agnes Episcopal School in Alexandria.
From 1955 until 1966, Mrs. Maigret taught in the Anne Arundel school system and was assigned to Pasadena Elementary School. She then returned to Northern Virginia.
She was a member of Epiphany Episcopal Church in Washington.
Her husband died in 1952.
Survivors include a daughter, Cecile Driggs of Falls Church; three sons, John L. Maigret of Springfield, Emile P. Maigret of Alexandria and James A. Maigret of Fairfax Station; a brother, Alton Lee Sheffield of Lewisburg; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.
ROBERT I. CAMPBELL
Robert Irwin Campbell, 73, a retired researcher with the Naval Historical Center, died of cancer July 8 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Washington.
Mr. Campbell was born in Washington. The son of a Presbyterian minister, he grew up in Indiana and New Jersey. He graduated from Bridgewater College in Bridgewater, Va., and attended Princeton Theological Seminary and the University of Maryland.
During World War II, he served as a Navy communications officer in the Pacific. He left the Navy about 1950 and returned to Washington and became a researcher at the Naval Historical Center. He retired in 1985.
Mr. Campbell was a member of the American Legion, the 40 & 8, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Past Commanders Club, the Reserve Officers Club, Friends of the American Revolution, Sons of the Confederacy, the St. Andrew's Society, the Grand Campbell Society, the Clan Irwin Society and St. Margaret's Episcopal Church in Washington.
Survivors include his sister, Dorothy C. Henderson of Germantown.
Farmer and C&P Telephone Employee
William Tayloe, 73, a farmer and retired Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. office manager who was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church in Upperville, died July 8 at a nursing home in Winchester, Va. He had arthritis and a heart ailment.
He worked for C&P for 40 years before retiring in 1975 as manager of its Leesburg office. He had farmed since 1947.
Mr. Tayloe, who lived on a farm in Middleburg, was a native of Powhatan County, Va. He attended St. John's College in Annapolis and served with the Army in the Mediterranean theater during World War II.
Survivors include his wife of 43 years, the former Janet Roszel, of Middleburg; two daughters, Elizabeth Courts of King George, Va., and Roszel Tayloe Hill of Millwood, Va.; a sister, Roberta T. Fuller of Alexandria; and four grandchildren.
JOSEPH DE CHIMAY
Joseph de Riquet de Chimay, 69, a lawyer with the Interstate Commerce Commission for 22 years until he retired and moved to Thailand, died of cancer June 23 at the Carriage Hill nursing home in Bethesda.
Mr. de Chimay returned to the Washington area in March for medical treatment.
He was a native of Belgium and came to the United States in 1941. He was a graduate of Furman University and New York University's law school.
During World War II, he served in the Army. After the war, he worked with the Inter-Allied Reparations Agency in Brussels. In 1948, he went to New York as an information specialist with the Voice of America.
He practiced law in New York from 1954 until 1956, when he moved to Washington and opened a private practice. He joined the Interstate Commerce Commission in 1957.
His marriages to Germaine Vangermuellen de Chimay and Jeanine Blankenbaker ended in divorce.
He leaves no immediate survivors.
SADIE M. MILSTONE
Eastern Star Member
Sadie M. Milstone, 98, a founding member of what is now the Areme chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star who also was a life member of Hadassah and the Ladies Auxiliary of the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington, died of cardiopulmonary arrest July 9 at Suburban Hospital.
Mrs. Milstone, a resident of Washington, was born in St. Louis. She moved to Washington in 1911.
She was a member of the Adas Israel Congregation, which she joined in 1911, and its Sisterhood, the B'nai B'rith Women and the Washington Heart Guild.
Her husband, Maurice Milstone, died in 1976. Survivors include a daughter, Gertrude Bieber of Washington; five grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.
CHARLES W. CARRAS
St. Elizabeths Hospital Employee
Charles W. Carras, 77, a retired administrative officer in the medical and surgery branch of St. Elizabeths Hospital who had lived in the Washington area from the early 1930s until moving to Florida in 1977, died of kidney failure July 2 at a hospital in Sarasota, Fla.
Mr. Carras, a resident of Venice, Fla., was born in Lynn, Mass.
He began his government career in the early 1930s. He started as a messenger with the Agriculture Department and worked for several other agencies before transferring to St. Elizabeths, where he worked from 1951 to 1977.
Survivors include his wife, the former Roberta Franklin, of Venice.
JERRY MAR BELL
Jerry Mar Bell, 59, a service technician since 1963 in the appliance section at Sears Roebuck & Co. in Springfield, died of congestive heart failure July 9 at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital.
Mr. Bell, who lived in Arlington, was a native of Washington. From 1953 to 1963, he was a bus driver in Washington with the old Arnold Bus Co.
Survivors include his wife, Charline Elizabeth Bell of Arlington; five children, Jerry F. Bell of Lorton, Dorothy Jean Bender of Springfield, Janet Marie Lovelace of Alexandria and Jayne Belinda Cannon and Julie Ann Bell, both of Arlington; his mother, Georgia M. Riley, and a sister, Flora J. Bell, both of Arlington; and nine grandchildren.